Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

He said this in jail during his interview with Larry King. He said he wouldn't fight Bowe out of respect because they were friends. He also expressed shock that Michael Moorer beat Holyfield.

If Bowe fought Tyson how do you feel it would have went? Bowe could fight really well for a big man. He could even fight on the inside.  But would he survive 12 rounds against peak Tyson? I doubt it. Bowe had the height, reach and skill to frustrate Tyson but it'd be only a matter of time before Tyson wrecked him. I pick Tyson by decision, though a knockout is a possibility also. Could go either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Y0kVdD1aU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
You know what to do..

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Hit Em' Hard
Now that is an interesting nugget of information. That reminds me of how short Riddick's prime really was. He peaked in '92 versus Holyfield and was done by '95 when Tyson returned. Riddick was only great when Tyson was in jail. Had they fought in '95 I would lean toward Tyson mainly because Riddick was no longer a great fighter by that point but Tyson was still intimidating, could punch and had speed on him.

Take '88 Tyson versus '92 Bowe and you've got a hell of a fight! Tyson would fight the fight that Evander attempted to fight but would do it so much better. Riddick could take a punch. We know that, but Who knows what would happen when Tyson lands one of his trademark combinations? I pick Tyson by TKO. The ref would stop the fight.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

49-0
Mike gives great interviews. I hadn't seen this before. It's nice to see where his head was at this time.

Regardless of what he says I think they would have fought each other anyway. I'm serious. There was too much money at stake. Let's say Riddick was a dominant champion during Mike's absense. He'd have to fight him! There was no honor code in boxing at that point anyway. Joe Frazier and Ken Norton were great friends and decided to never face each other. These days it's all about that $

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Urban Legend
Saying he didn't want to fight him is code for "I know he'll kick my ass." This was around the time Mike was realizing that he wasn't the spectacular fighter he once was. After prison he was offered opportunities to fight Ray Mercer, Shannon Briggs, and David Tua but turned down all three, preferring easy opposition like McNeely, Bruno, Mathis Jr, and Seldon. George Foreman wanted a piece of Mike, too. But Tyson kept right on ducking him. Hell Mike even paid Lennox Lewis off so he could fight Holyfield, mistakingly thinking Holyfield was a shot fighter. We all saw how that turned out.

Mike knew that Bowe had the height and style to give him problems. If Mike had such trouble with Razor Ruddock, Riddick Bowe would have crushed him for sure and he knew it.

Prime Mike would struggle against big skilled guys like Vitali and Bowe but he would get a decision. Had Tyson fought Bowe in 1991 instead of Ruddock, the fights would have been really similar. Tyson wins but looks bad doing so. I would pick Joe Frazier and Ray Mercer to have an easier time beating Bowe than Tyson because they were so much busier on the inside.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Evolution
Urban Legend wrote
[...]

While there is some truth to your post it's not entirely the gospel. I knew both guys but I still talk to Riddick occasionally. Riddick told me the same thing Mike said here. Riddick grew up with Mike and went to school with him. They wouldn't fight each other. If they did I would bet on Riddick to win even in Mike's prime, as Riddick was better than the big guys Tyson struggled against.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

redfeng007
How about Andrew Golota? Riddick Bowe nearly lost if wasn't for the low blow.

Andrew Golota quit against Tyson as he knew that he doesn't stand a chance.

I would say the early verson of Riddick Bowe beat Tyson, but not the one against Andrew Golota.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

I would bet on Riddick to win even in Mike's prime, as Riddick was better than the big guys Tyson struggled against.
Same here. Bowe could do so many things and could surprisingly fight well on the inside. For a big man of his size that is remarkable. Bowe could punch but I think Tyson's chin allows him to see the final bell but Bowe was be too big and outpoint him. Tyson wasn't so dangerous late in the fight. Even at his peak there was a noticeable difference between the aggressive Tyson of round 1 and the tired Tyson of round 8.

Yes I already know the Tyson fans here will say that Tyson did great in his distance fights with Green, Tucker, Smith, etc but they were in survival mode, holding and running, trying like hell to avoid getting knocked out. They didn't want to win, just survive. Riddick Bowe would be fighting Mike.

If Riddick was focused and serious about the fight, I think this would be similar to Tyson's war with Ribalta. The pick is Tyson by late TKO or decision but if Riddick comes to fight it would be a hell of a show. But if Bowe attempted to trade with Tyson all night as he did with Evander then it would end sooner. Tyson was bigger, stronger and faster than Evander. Fighting to Tyson's strengths would get Bowe cracked eventually.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

redfeng007 wrote
How about Andrew Golota? Riddick Bowe nearly lost if wasn't for the low blow.

Andrew Golota quit against Tyson as he knew that he doesn't stand a chance.

I would say the early verson of Riddick Bowe beat Tyson, but not the one against Andrew Golota.
Riddick was not in his prime by the Golota fights. Did you notice his decline in skill after the first war with Holyfield?

Riddick would be out of his league against Iron Mike, especially in the '80s with Kevin Rooney. Tyson isn't small like Holyfield and wouldn't be able to bully. Evander did stand up for himself and fought like a real champ but he fought the wrong fight by brawling and that played to Bowe's strengths. I don't see Bowe being able to survive a brawl with Mike Tyson. Riddick was a good fighter but remember that he fought weak competition and Holyfield lost the fight for himself the first time by turning it into a shootout with a much bigger and stronger man.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Both guys could get a little lazy even at their peaks, but I still bet on Tyson. Better to get lazy against Bowe than get lazy against Tyson.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Bugs
He said this in jail during his interview with Larry King. He said he wouldn't fight Bowe out of respect because they were friends. He also expressed shock that Michael Moorer beat Holyfield.

If Bowe fought Tyson how do you feel it would have went? Bowe could fight really well for a big man. He could even fight on the inside.  But would he survive 12 rounds against peak Tyson? I doubt it. Bowe had the height, reach and skill to frustrate Tyson but it'd be only a matter of time before Tyson wrecked him. I pick Tyson by decision, though a knockout is a possibility also. Could go either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Y0kVdD1aU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I seen this clip before and Mike was a coward. We saw what happened each and every time someone was not afraid of him. Riddick was too big and strong. He would have sent Mike into retirement.
Eh....What's Up, Doc?

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

MAGUIRE
Bowe loses. You don't try to slug with Mike when you're 6'5. Evander wasn't as powerful as Mike so Bowe got away with it in those fights. If he fought Mike the way he fought Evander then he's leaving the arena on a stretcher.

That is...if the fight even happens. How do we know Chicken Bowe wouldn't throw the belt in the trash again? He might duck Mike.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Alucard
I somewhat agree... Bowe has the height, size and skills to give Tyson lots of problems, just like many big men did, and Bowe was one of the best... But him getting lazy and caught in an all out war, like with Holyfield, doesn't bode well for Bowe, it's general opinion that Tyson hits fairly harder than Holyfield, and his chin was good... Bowe should use his physical gifts and don't get careless trying to outslug Tyson, then he can win, in my opinion...

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

He said this in jail during his interview with Larry King. He said he wouldn't fight Bowe out of respect because they were friends. He also expressed shock that Michael Moorer beat Holyfield.

If Bowe fought Tyson how do you feel it would have went? Bowe could fight really well for a big man. He could even fight on the inside.  But would he survive 12 rounds against peak Tyson? I doubt it. Bowe had the height, reach and skill to frustrate Tyson but it'd be only a matter of time before Tyson wrecked him. I pick Tyson by decision, though a knockout is a possibility also. Could go either way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2Y0kVdD1aU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
I can't believe I wrote this. I now back Bowe without much reservation.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Here is the clip where he talks about Bowe..just Bowe.

https://youtu.be/69Oo1Pa72uM

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Big Red
 Bowe is too big, too strong and too gifted to lose to Mike. This would be a great fight for sure, but eventually Mike would lose by decision, maybe by knockout. That is, if both guys are @ absolute peak. (1988 Tyson, 1992 Bowe)

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Big Red wrote
 Bowe is too big, too strong and too gifted to lose to Mike. This would be a great fight for sure, but eventually Mike would lose by decision, maybe by knockout. That is, if both guys are @ absolute peak. (1988 Tyson, 1992 Bowe)
Both guys have their lazy tendencies. However, if we're talking absolute peak Tyson (1988 versus Spinks) and 1992 Bowe versus Holyfield, I back Bowe. It would be tough and back and forth, but Bowe was too big and too good. Tyson would lose by TKO if he doesn't quit on his stool later. Either way I don't see Mike winning.

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe

Chris Byrd did mention it to Bowe.

https://youtu.be/BaUTjX-b2X0

Re: Mike Tyson said he wouldn't fight Riddick Bowe