Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

1234 ... 8

Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

That's right. Put them both in their peak years. How does this one go?

Winner?

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Shane
Would be a good fight. I think Tyson might trail behind on the scorecards early but win by decision as Joe Frazier did, or he might possibly win by late knockout. I say "late knockout" because I don't think anyone KOs Muhammad Ali early.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Michelle
Funny I see this thread because me and my brother used to argue with my dad about this one all the time. My dad says that Muhammad was too fast for Tyson but my brother and me would insist that Tyson would smash Ali's pretty brains in.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Rosco
Both at their very best the Ali who destroyed Cleveland "Big Cat" Williams and the Iron Mike Tyson that destroyed Michael Spinks then I would have to go for Ali over Tyson on clear points decision

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Zorro
Ali never fought someone with the combined speed and power of Mike, he was a new kind of beast, the heavy hitters of Ali's era were plodders. Remember Holmes.. never down.. until he met Mike and then he hit the floor like a 16 stone sack o shite.
Prime to Prime probably the 2 best ever. I'd go with Mike by savage KO but in the rematch take Ali by UD

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Evolution
It's Muhammad who takes this one. Easily.

Mike struggled against Mitch Green, Tony Tucker, James Tillis, Bonecrusher Smith, and was kayod by Buster Douglas.

What do these men have in common with Muhammad Ali? Nothing but height and the ability to frustrate fighters that charge in. Tyson could not hurt these men, and it's evident that Ali was much, much, much superior to them all in terms of skill and chin.

If prime Mike couldn't knock out those guys, he's in serious trouble against The Greatest.

That's what most of the Tyson detractors say. However, Ali lacked proper defense. You don't fight with your hands down against Mike Tyson. Also, Tyson threw so deadly combinations with such speed and accuracy that Ali would get hit with four or five punches seemingly all at once. Ali was good at recovering quickly from one big punch but I don't know how his chin would stand up to combinations.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Ali never fought someone with the combined speed and power of Mike, he was a new kind of beast, the heavy hitters of Ali's era were plodders. Remember Holmes.. never down.. until he met Mike and then he hit the floor like a 16 stone sack o shite.
Holmes was down twice before meeting Iron Mike. Earnie Shavers and Renaldo Snipes put him down but couldn't finish him off.

I'm a big Tyson fan but it was Joe Frazier's high workrate that won him over against Muhammad Ali. Frazier constantly hit Ali with big bombs. Tyson lands big bombs but in spurts. I think Ali would take a decision but not without some scary moments from Tyson.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Michelle wrote
Funny I see this thread because me and my brother used to argue with my dad about this one all the time. My dad says that Muhammad was too fast for Tyson but my brother and me would insist that Tyson would smash Ali's pretty brains in.
You're beautiful. I'm going to email you sweetie.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Big Red
ALI BUMAYEH!!

Muhammad Ali would not resort to ear biting and all that jazz. Not only did he beat some of the best in the world (Liston, Foreman, Frazier) but he didn't cheat to do it.

As for the fight itself, Tyson could not get near Ali to hit him, much less knock him out.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

GatorPurify
I don't think Mike struggled against Mitch Green. He neat the breaks off Mitch Green but Green clinched the whole fight. I think Mike could of knocked Green out but wanted to punish him for all the trash he talked. The 1988 Tyson was focused I'd put my money on Tyson. If prime Ali barely survived Henry Cooper, he's not surviving a prime Iron Mike.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Urban Legend
GatorPurify wrote
I don't think Mike struggled against Mitch Green. He neat the breaks off Mitch Green but Green clinched the whole fight. I think Mike could of knocked Green out but wanted to punish him for all the trash he talked. The 1988 Tyson was focused I'd put my money on Tyson. If prime Ali barely survived Henry Cooper, he's not surviving a prime Iron Mike.
Kevin Rooney said that Mike had trouble with Mitch because he fought as a counterpuncher.

Speaking of Mitch 'Blood' Green, he was the first man never to touch the canvas against Mike. Did Mike have a problem with Green's style or did he underestimate him?
It was Green's style. All Green was doing was counterpunching. He wasn't leading. Green fought a defensive fight and didn't look to engage. He only looked to survive. Mike beat the fuck outta him! When you got a guy who's 6'4", that doesn't want to lead or exchange, he's hard to fight - and he's definitely hard to knock out. Also, Mitch has always been pissed off about his situation with Don King. That's what lead to that street fight in Harlem in front of that clothing store. Green took a slug at Mike and Mike blasted him.
Here is a link to the full interview. It's a very interesting read.

http://www.markstraining.com/2009/10/kevin-rooney-on-mike-tyson.html

As for Henry Cooper, Ali was not in his prime yet. He was still green in 1963. Sonny Banks had knocked him down the year before. "Cassius Clay" hadn't filled out yet and was still crafting his style. When Henry Cooper fought Ali again, he could never repeat that lucky punch because Ali had improved.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Michelle
BAD INTENTIONS wrote
You're beautiful. I'm going to email you sweetie.
I got your email.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

I've read that interview before and I believe every word of what Kevin Rooney says. Mike said after the Mitch Green fight that he wanted to "punish him" but I think he said that to save face; it's virtually impossible to knock out a big man who only wants to counter and hold all night.

We really need to keep Ali's first fight with Henry Cooper out of the picture. We should also steer clear of talking about Tyson's bad fight with James "Quick" Tillis. Tyson and Ali were both green when they fought Cooper and Tillis. 1964-67 were the peak years for Muhammad and 1985-88 were the peak years for Mike. We have to think of them at their very best to make the best analysis.

I think Tyson would ultimately get it done because he throws dangerous combinations with bad intentions, something Muhammad Ali never dealt with.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

BAD INTENTIONS wrote
Zorro wrote
Ali never fought someone with the combined speed and power of Mike, he was a new kind of beast, the heavy hitters of Ali's era were plodders. Remember Holmes.. never down.. until he met Mike and then he hit the floor like a 16 stone sack o shite.
Holmes was down twice before meeting Iron Mike. Earnie Shavers and Renaldo Snipes put him down but couldn't finish him off.
Forgive me. I'm in my 50s. My memory isn't what it once was.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Tyson would have to press Ali and stay on him. He doesn't throw as many punches as Frazier but the combinations he throws would mess Ali up, especially against the ropes.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Zombies Ate Me
I'm a big Mike Tyson fan but Muhammad Ali fought better competition and won. He had a durable chin, could take Tyson's punches (if Tyson could catch him) and who could forget the Thrilla in manilla? No other heavyweight other than Muhammad Ali could survive such a war.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

GatorPurify wrote
I don't think Mike struggled against Mitch Green. He neat the breaks off Mitch Green but Green clinched the whole fight. I think Mike could of knocked Green out but wanted to punish him for all the trash he talked. The 1988 Tyson was focused I'd put my money on Tyson. If prime Ali barely survived Henry Cooper, he's not surviving a prime Iron Mike.
There are two things wrong with this post.

1) Mike struggled against Mitch Green. I know Mike said after the fight that he wanted to "punish him" but he would lose his status as an invincible fighter if he came out and admitted that he struggled. Kevin Rooney said several times that Mitch's style was just all wrong for Mike. Mike knocked Mitch's mouthpiece into the third row and caught him with vicious punches all night. No way was Mike holding back. He was trying to knock him out but Mitch never put himself in position to get finished off.

2) Muhammad Ali was not prime when he fought Henry Cooper. Sonny Banks had knocked him down and hurt him bad months before. This was not the "Cassius Clay" that beat up Sonny Liston, Zora Folley, Ernie Terrell and all those others. As someone else mentioned, Muhammad did much better when he fought Henry Cooper the second time around. Green Joe Frazier almost got stopped by Oscar Bonavena but improved in their rematch. The same thing happened when Muhammad fought Henry Cooper.

Are you a new boxing fan?

Are you a new boxing fan?
Take it easy. Everyone has an opinion. That's what this place is about.

Re: Muhammad Ali (1967) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Zorro
You all are tempting me to watch the Tyson-Mitch Green fight. I haven't watched that one in a few years. However, Mitch was a journeyman fighter at best...not worthy of being compared to Muhammad Ali.
1234 ... 8