Muhammad Ali Versus Larry Holmes In Their Primes

Muhammad Ali Versus Larry Holmes In Their Primes

Forget the fight that they had because Ali was obviously washed up.

How does this one go in their respective primes? I've always felt that Larry would give Ali some serious problems, but it could go either way. They both have the same style and are dependent on their opponents coming to them.

Larry arguably had the best jab in boxing because it was constantly in your face--you basically find yourself fighting the jab rather than Larry Holmes himself. Ali's jab was quicker, but they both had accurate jabs and danced out of harm's way, although Ali had quicker mobility and quicker hands.

The problem for Ali is that Larry had a better counter-jab than Ken Norton, and we saw how badly those fights played out for Ali. If you counter Ali's jab with your own, he had no defense because he couldn't parry or block a jab. And he fought with his hands down, so Norton's counter-jabs landed right down the pipe. Larry was stronger than Ali and could get a decision by outjabbing the jabber.

On the other hand, Larry was vulnerable to right hands his entire career. When Larry was knocked out by Mike Tyson, it was the right hand that did the damage. Holmes had a terrific jab but dropped his left hand after throwing it. He also didn't move his head. So if timed correctly, you could punish Larry for this mistake every time with a right hand. This is how Holmes was decked by Earnie Shavers and Renaldo Snipes.

Muhammad Ali had a great right hand lead. It came without warning and stunned many of his opponents, particularly George Foreman and Sonny Liston in the rematch. Sometimes Ali threw a double right hand lead.  Larry had a strong chin and wouldn't get floored or stopped by Ali, but Ali's right hand leads would give him issues.

Who takes it? I think this would be an ugly, boring fight. No one gets knocked out and neither man would force the action.

Re: Muhammad Ali Versus Larry Holmes In Their Primes

Evolution
Opponents with a good jab could bewilder him at times. His fights with Doug Jones, Jimmy Ellis, Ken Norton and Jimmy Young all demonstrate this fact. In a series of fights I see Holmes winning at least once.

Re: Muhammad Ali Versus Larry Holmes In Their Primes

^^Yeah. That's what I was thinking. This fight would be ugly as I said because neither man likes to fight as the aggressor. Their style is dependent on someone coming to them. Larry had better brawling skills than Ali though. If they were to slug it out, Larry would certainly get the better of Ali, especially on the inside. That says a lot because they're both uncomfortable on the inside but Larry was a little better than Ali, who was snakebit.

Re: Muhammad Ali Versus Larry Holmes In Their Primes

Zorro
Larry was a copycat of Ali. I know he used to spar with Ali but he wouldn't do so well against prime Ali. Ali's speed would win the fight for him but he would have difficulty with the jab of Holmes.