Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

Will69
This fight almost did happen, and would have been a serious 15-round fight with 100% bad intentions (not an exhibition)!  Chamberlain would have been trained by Cus D'Amato and Jim Brown was going to be his manager.  The fight had serious money in place, but Chamberlain got out with a loop hole in the contract.  Chamberlain was 7'1, 275lbs.  He was as strong as a tank (maybe two tanks) and would make Klitchko look tiny.  And, if you check out his photos, he was one scary looking dude, even relative to this day.  Could he have been another Jess Willard?  How do you see this fight going?

Re: Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

Urban Legend
Will69 wrote
This fight almost did happen, and would have been a serious 15-round fight with 100% bad intentions (not an exhibition)!  Chamberlain would have been trained by Cus D'Amato and Jim Brown was going to be his manager.  The fight had serious money in place, but Chamberlain got out with a loop hole in the contract.  Chamberlain was 7'1, 275lbs.  He was as strong as a tank (maybe two tanks) and would make Klitchko look tiny.  And, if you check out his photos, he was one scary looking dude, even relative to this day.  Could he have been another Jess Willard?  How do you see this fight going?

Muhammad Ali was a real boxer. I don't think his size or him looking "scary" would be a factor against Ali. You're putting him against a real boxer and not only that, but the greatest boxer of all time.

This is the equivalent of putting Ali up against Will in basketball.

Re: Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

He doesn't lay a finger on Ali, especially if it's a primed, peak Ali from the '60s.

Re: Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

Will69
Interestingly, this fight was supposed to happen twice, and got nixed twice.  The first time was in '67.  That would be going against a prime Ali!

Re: Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

Rosco
Will69 wrote
He'd give him a boxing lesson.

Re: Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

Re: Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

Alexander
But Could Wilt punch?
That's the most important thing for boxing.
I've seen plenty a big man who looked scary and huge but lacked power in the fist.
He might have the physical makeup and athleticism for boxing but it's all a matter of opinion.
He never fought.

Entaowed wrote
Though Ali would likely find a way, he would have to be able to score with body effectivcely with body punches.
I don't think I've ever seen Muhammad attempt a body shot.
Ever.

Re: Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

Wilt Chamberlain did get in the Boxing Ring in a way...

8.9 Million views, one of the highest boxing youtube views ever...

https://youtu.be/PvjvGwKBat8

Who knows Ali may be the mastermind behind
Wilt's defeat?

Re: Muhammad Ali vs Wilt Chamberlain 1971

I try not to laugh everytime I watch this basketball game...

The Commentator is trying to hold his laughter as well...

One of them has the same name with Frazier.

People joke that is why Deontay Wilder decides to be Boxer instead.

https://youtu.be/JdxKFM-0AuM

Ali did throw body shots with combination.

It is just very rare.

Watch it.