My Interview With 2x Heavyweight Champion SHANNON BRIGGS

My Interview With 2x Heavyweight Champion SHANNON BRIGGS

I hope you enjoyed the interview. He's a real down to earth brother. For those who don't know who Shannon is, he was trained by Teddy Atlas at the start of his career and is from the same neighborhood as Mike Tyson and Riddick Bowe. Shannon has more first round knockdowns than anyone, including Tyson and Tua. He won the lineal heavyweight championship from George Foreman in 1997, but dropped it to Lennox Lewis the following year.

Shannon Briggs

Thoughts on this guy? I think he was pretty good in his prime. He packed a serious wallop that resulted in more first round knockdowns than any other boxer. His poor performances against George Foreman and Lennox Lewis show that he's outclassed against all time greats, but Shannon "The Cannon" was very entertaining.

Re: Shannon Briggs

Shane
No heart. And his defense was horrible. I'm not a big Shannon Briggs fan.

Shannon Briggs Has Charisma

Watch these clips before his fight with Vitali Klitschko. This man was hilarious. If he put as much energy into the fight as he did promoting it, he could have done much better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTMfifwt248

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcFCkwKFxtc

I will say this, though. I predicted before this fight that Vitali was going to win. Shannon Briggs is washed up and shouldn't be fighting anymore. Even if he was in his prime, a technical fighter like Vitali would take advantage of Shannon's poor defense. Shannon is a big puncher. I believe he has more first round knockdowns than anyone, but Vitali has a chin of stone--he's never been dropped yet. He proved his chin when he took some big uppercuts from Lennox Lewis. Shannon performed terribly against Vitali but at least he survived the full 12 without quitting or getting KO'd. I respect him more than David Haye, who lost what little respect I had for him with his ridiculous "broken toe" excuse. Shannon said after the fight that Vitali was the best fighter he fought...even better than Foreman and Lewis. That's kinda funny because Lennox Lewis did something Vitali and Foreman couldn't do....knock Shannon out!!!

Re: Shannon Briggs Has Charisma

Shane
I remember this. In terms of being a trash talker with charisma and showmanship, Shannon is the closest thing we have to a Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson today. But he absolutely stinks in the ring. Time to hang em' up.

Re: Shannon Briggs

^^I recently watched his first loss. Darrol Wilson knocked him out. And it's because of the exact thing you said...poor defense.

Briggs was so used to knocking people out that he never moved his head on the rare occasion that someone fired back. He had a habit of pausing a second to enjoy his work. Every punch Wilson threw in retaliation landed right on the button because Briggs stood there wide open.

Still a good fighter though, and always exciting to watch because he gets you outta there early. I can tell that Teddy Atlas was trying to mold Briggs into a 6'4 Mike Tyson.

My favorite Shannon Briggs moment is when he almost knocked out Lennox Lewis in 1998. That left hook sent Lewis staggering across the ring and the ropes caught him. If those ropes weren't there, it certainly would have been a first round KO for Briggs.

Re: Shannon Briggs Has Charisma

I'd put Shannon Briggs in the same category as Tommy Morrison or Razor Ruddock. These are guys that are all about offense and knockouts but they can't protect themselves. They leave openings that counterpunchers thrive on.

But I do like Shannon. He's a funny guy. I remember him saying that his mom didn't want him to be a boxer because he had ashtma. That's why Shannon tried to end his fights really early.

Re: My conversations with Shannon Briggs

Shannon's a good dude. I've met that dude quite a few times along the way. He puts up a street tough exterior but he's really a gentle guy. There's no one else like him either. He has a style all his own.

Re: My conversations with Shannon Briggs

Rosco
Ask him what really happened in his fight with Darroll Wilson?

Re: My conversations with Shannon Briggs

49-0
I liked the interview Duggerman. I've heard that Shannon can be an a-hole but he sounded alright when he was talking to you. You asked some good questions. Its nice to hear his thoughts on his wars with Lennox, Vitali, Mercer and Foreman. And i must say, i was floored when he admitted that prime Tyson would beat him. Shannon Briggs isn't known for being humble.

Re: My conversations with Shannon Briggs

Here's the article that resulted from our phone interview.

Re: My conversations with Shannon Briggs

Zorro
Superb article Duggerman. Great job.

Re: My conversations with Shannon Briggs

Urban Legend
Good interview and article. I have to ask..Why was there no mention of his embarrasing loss to Darroll Wilson and why didn't you ask him about roids?

Re: My conversations with Shannon Briggs

Urban Legend wrote
Good interview and article. I have to ask..Why was there no mention of his embarrasing loss to Darroll Wilson and why didn't you ask him about roids?
Darroll Wilson isn't a significant boxer by any means. There was no need to mention that one. Shannon was somewhat inexperienced at the time anyway.

As for steroids, nothing has been confirmed about that from what I gather. No need to dwell into that territory either.

Re: My Interview With 2x Heavyweight Champion Shannon Briggs

the boston strong boy
hes a bum

Re: My Interview With 2x Heavyweight Champion Shannon Briggs

Malik Wright
^^A "bum" with more 1st round KOs than anyone else, rookie. I wanna see you go one round with em'.

Re: My conversations with Shannon Briggs

Kid Dynamite
Here's the article that resulted from our phone interview.

Photobucket
DOPE!!

Re: My Interview With 2x Heavyweight Champion Shannon Briggs

Shannon is a great guy. You got some good information from him. I didn't know he never get paid for the Klitschko fight. What a travesty. He got his head banged up all night for 12 rounds and got nothing?

Re: My Interview With 2x Heavyweight Champion Shannon Briggs

Zombies Ate Me
Thanks for sharing, A.J.

Question: How good was Shannon? Would you consider him an all-time great? He's been in there with some of the greats and won some of them.

Re: My Interview With 2x Heavyweight Champion Shannon Briggs

Zorro
To me Shannon isn't an all time great but he was good. People say Mike Tyson was only a front runner and that may have been true after his incarceration but Shannon was always a front runner. If he didn't knock you out early he ran out of gas.

I know an exciting fighter when I see one and Shannon was definitely one of them. He had a unique look to him with those colorful dreads (I don't like dreads but they made him stand out) and he could really punch. I'll never forget that left hook he rocked Lennox Lewis with.
123