My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Left Hook From Hell...
I'm listening now and its already interesting. Joe Frazier hit harder than Mike Tyson? Whoa. Good questions man. Larry is really into it too.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Urban Legend
AJ brother I have to commend you. This is the nicest and most humble Larry has ever sounded. You could have easily mentioned the wrong thing and set him off. I just knew he was going to get mad when you brought up the Tyson loss--and you stayed on the topic!!! I don't know if age has mellowed him or if it was your questions and personality that won him over. Maybe both. But regardless you got a great interview out of Larry, or "Mr. Holmes" as you referred to him.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Entaowed
Nice job Duggy!  You had him at ease & revealed the gentler side that has veen there, but ovscured by his resentments at other times.  Some thoughts...

I cannot see Frazier hitting harder than Tyson.  He was an attrition fighter, & if he hit so hard with his accuracy & work rate, guys would have gone earlier more often.  An exception was Foster, but he was very light for his height & never successful at HW, though top power for a LHW.  And Frazier hit harder than him & HARD, but Tyson got huge guys out quickly with less blows, & just looking at film seems to produce more power.  I wonder if losing to Tyson effected his assessment.  He was nice about him, but before the fight was unnecessarily negative about Tyson's life prospects (though he was correct).

The context of the Marciano comments was that he was unfairly upbraided by some  & should have GOTTEN that 2nd fight.  No context though made the statement right though, it was disrespectful & made in bitterness he sometimes marinated in.  Holmes vs. Rocky would be tough to pick...I give just the greatest swarmers the decision over Holmes, but the size/reach disparity with Holmes skill would make it hard to pick.

He was gracious even about Foreman, a funny plaintive quality when he added he did not know why George never fought him, after already supplying a perfectly credible answer.

Holmes was a great champion, & what he did when old was very impressive too.
Against Mccall, Mercer, Butterbean when ancient...Just how close it was vs. prime Holyfileld shows me that with his best reflexes & legs he would have clearly won.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Disappointed here, none of my questions made it. Especially the one with Cossell would've interested me. My questions regarding Ali's camp in Zaire were excellent as well.

Anyway, I also cannot see how Frazier hits harder than Tyson based on the footage.
But mind that Larry sparred Frazier while he fought Tyson ...difference. Frazier probably tried to dish out lots of punishment in sparring while Tyson was quick-knockout orientated.

As already mentioned, he got you out quicker with less punches.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

BAD INTENTIONS
GREAT, GREAT JOB Duggerman...you know how to win people over and I didn't notice that Larry is one of the few, few heavyweight champions to maintain his marriage and not have women put him through the ringer...these were questions and observations Larry is not accustomed to hearing...

I met Larry in 1994 and he wasn't friendly...not at all...he turned his back to me as if he didnt even want to look at me. I thought it was because I was white, but a mutual friend of ours said, "Larry don't like nobody!!" This is a mature Larry Holmes that I could actually like...I can tell he feels regret and remorse over his past behavior so I don't hold the rudeness he displayed to me against him.

He didn't bash Foreman or Tyson, and he sounded remotely sincere when he talked about the nasty Rocky Marciano comments...I am really impressed by both this interview AND Larry's behavior. Congratulations on exposing a softer mature side of Larry I didn't know existed!!

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

I have to jump on the band wagon and say good job A.J. I'm really proud of you. You and Larry had a terrific conversation and you can tell he enjoyed the chat.

Larry is a man, I think, full of regret. He normally jumps at the opportunity to blast George Foreman but took the high road here. I'm stunned.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

RESPECT

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Zombies Ate Me
I saw it on Facebook. Thumbs up!! One of the best interviews from Larry I've heard and definitely the nicest he's ever sounded.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Nice to hear your gentle voice AJ. Great little interview showing Holmes to have mellowed in his attitude in general. I am surprised to hear him quote Frazier the harder hitter but I will take his word for it with slight reservations because Tyson really took him apart & that defeat probably still hurts his sense of pride. Glad to hear he regretted the Marciano comment but I think it was the heat of the moment as the press was notoriously less than kind to him as he was always underrated imo. As you said AJ correctly he was sandwiched between two memorable eras Ali & Tyson but just look at the list of fighters he conquered, they weren’t exactly bums. The jury is out for me Holmes v Foreman, it would have to be at their respective peaks & it is one I would honestly say I could not predict or answer if a thread was started on this one (Maybe there has?), shame it never happened.
As for the Spinks key fight I honestly think he lost fight 1 & should have KO'd a bumped up Light Heavy but found his style to be completely awkward like Jimmy Young & therefor should have been more on the offense rather than try outbox him, but this was obviously not as easy as me just saying it. I certainly think he won the second fight but sadly the history book still marks a loss regardless of my opinion. I think at least intelligent sites like this regard him far higher than the dumb critics who struggled to get over the golden Ali era but his record speaks for itself.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Larry is a man, I think, full of regret. He normally jumps at the opportunity to blast George Foreman but took the high road here. I'm stunned.
Thats what I was thinking as I listened. Wisdom and maturity come with age. Good job with the interview AJ. Larry comes across much better than he did the last time I ran into him.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Shane
Stellar job as usual AJ. Loved the interview, bud. When is the newspaper article on this coming out?

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

J.C.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Zorro
Great writing as usual AJ.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

MAGUIRE
Larry doesn't sound the least bit angry or annoyed even when you ask the tough questions about Foreman, Tyson and the insulting Marciano remarks. Kudos to you Duggerman. I'd say you've got the right job. Good job with the interview. I need to check out some of your other work.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

MAGUIRE wrote
Larry doesn't sound the least bit angry or annoyed even when you ask the tough questions about Foreman, Tyson and the insulting Marciano remarks. Kudos to you Duggerman. I'd say you've got the right job. Good job with the interview. I need to check out some of your other work.
Yeah, please do Maguire! I work hard and get around. In journalism you never know who you'll interview next and sometimes you get someone you really admire.

Larry loved the article/interview and "favorited" my article on twitter.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Larry loved the article/interview and "favorited" my article on twitter.

Larry isn't a fan of too many journalists. Hell from what I gather Larry ain't really a fan of nobody. You're doing something right Duggerman! #salute

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Maximillian
Congrats. Larry Holmes!! That's a big story for you man.

Re: My Interview with LARRY HOLMES!!

Westmoreland

I'm going to read this and listen to the podcast when I get home from work. This is amazing! You're a great journalist.
12