My boxing progress

KB50MJ
This post was updated on .
I'm currently training to be a boxer. I'm 5'11 1/2 I weight 232 lbs. I have a pretty muscular and stocky build. So I'm gunna be a heavyweight. I train at the Newburgh Boxing Club in Newburgh NY. The trainer there, Ray Rivera, has been in the boxing business for 30 years and currently is training a few pro fighters. He even travels to Purto Rico to train a pro fighter down there. So he's a good trainer. I'm in my 3rd week of training and things are going great so far. I was gunna use this thread to keep you guys informed on my progress in training and if I spar or fight soon, I'll post some videos of them here.

One thing I've noticed that I found interesting was when I was hitting the heavybag. I work on the heaviest bag in the place which weighs over 200 lbs and when I hit the bag it moves like crazy and it swings all over the place. And I remember hearing the head coach said to someone else that the bag was equal to a 300 lb man-something (I couldn't makeout what he was saying cuss I was training). I also heard him say even the big guys at the gym couldn't move the bag like that. Then another time when I was hitting a bag made for uppercuts and I hit it with a right uppercut and made the entire bag fly into the air. Haha. The son of the head trainer was amazed by it and told his friend that he hasn't seen anyone ever do that. And a guy who helps out at the gym even told a reporter that I was gunna be the next heavyweight to come out of Newburgh. So hearing those things kinda gave me more confidence in my abilities.

But feel free to ask questions and give pointers. I'm always up to constructive criticism.

Re: My boxing progress

BAD INTENTIONS
I used to box, too. Keep up the good work. You'll know your true strength when you climb in the ring with another athlete that hits you back.

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ
Thanks man. I'm defiantly working on it. I have a long road ahead of me. How long ago did you box?

Re: My boxing progress

Go get em' Kurt. Knock out the Klitschkos!! Save Boxing!!!

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ
You sound like the guy at my gym today. He told some black guy that I was gunna be the heavyweight champ. lol.

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ wrote
Thanks man. I'm defiantly working on it. I have a long road ahead of me. How long ago did you box?
I had a few club fights in the 90s. I sparred with a few guys like Bruce Seldon and Butterbean.

Re: My boxing progress

BAD INTENTIONS wrote
I used to box, too. Keep up the good work. You'll know your true strength when you climb in the ring with another athlete that hits you back.
That's sound advice. I spar with local guys and assist in training. KB50MJ, it sounds like you're heavy handed. That's a good thing. Punchers are born, not made.

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ
Yea, I remembered last year I went up to the cus d'amato gym in the catskills for a few days and the trainer there told me I was heavy handed. I actually have pics from when I was there. I should post them.

Re: My boxing progress

Urban Legend
KB50MJ wrote
Yea, I remembered last year I went up to the cus d'amato gym in the catskills for a few days and the trainer there told me I was heavy handed. I actually have pics from when I was there. I should post them.
Post please.

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ wrote
Who's the cute young lady, Kurt? Is that your woman?

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ
Haha. Na man. She lives up in the catskill area. She was there because she had a lot of anger issues from guys and she wanted to let off steam. We talked while I was there. She's pretty nice.

Re: My boxing progress

She's pretty nice but she had anger issues with the guys? LOL. I know what you mean. It just sounds funny.

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ
Lol. Like guys taking advantage of her and stuff.

Re: My boxing progress

Michelle
KB50MJ wrote
That girl looks a lot like my sister. From what I can see, at least.

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ wrote
[...]

I've been to the catskill gym before. I used to watch Cus drill those guys. He was a great teacher. I still miss that man.

I wish you luck on your boxing career. May you have better luck than I did.

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ
Thanks man.

Re: My boxing progress

KB50MJ
Well I just wanted to update you guys on my current progress. Im in my 3rd month and I've been making good progress, but I haven't sparred yet.

My trainer is having a hard time finding people for me to spar with because there aren't many heavyweights in the area. But there is one guy who comes occasionally, we're probably gunna spar next week. But he admitted to me that hes a little hesitant to spar with me because hes seen me train and he says I have more power then he does. lol.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.
1234