Name 5 heavyweights who could beat PEAK George Foreman (1973-74)

Name 5 heavyweights who could beat PEAK George Foreman (1973-74)

I asked this question on twitter recently and no one could come up with anything realistic. It's definitely a short list of men that could beat this monster. Can you come up with at least 5? Good luck, and present your reasoning. (Obviously, Ali is omitted because he succeeded in this task).

Re: Name 5 heavyweights who could beat PEAK George Foreman (1973-74)

Phantom Punch
If we're omitting Ali, then I say Liston, Vitali, Tyson and Holyfield.

Re: Name 5 heavyweights who could beat PEAK George Foreman (1973-74)

The Golden Jet
Phantom Punch wrote
If we're omitting Ali, then I say Liston, Vitali, Tyson and Holyfield.
Whoa. I disagree with some of your picks. I'll just start with Holyfield, who gave his ALL against the OLD Foreman and couldn't drop him and didn't dominate the way a younger prime champion should have. You really think a man that struggles with the OLD Foreman somehow beats the YOUNG Foreman?

Re: Name 5 heavyweights who could beat PEAK George Foreman (1973-74)

The Golden Jet wrote
Phantom Punch wrote
If we're omitting Ali, then I say Liston, Vitali, Tyson and Holyfield.
Whoa. I disagree with some of your picks. I'll just start with Holyfield, who gave his ALL against the OLD Foreman and couldn't drop him and didn't dominate the way a younger prime champion should have. You really think a man that struggles with the OLD Foreman somehow beats the YOUNG Foreman?
I disagree about Holyfield for the same reasons, especially knowing that Holyfield would get too much courage and try to trade with a peak Foreman. Great chin or not, prime Foreman would hurt him worse than Bowe did. Hell, OLD Foreman had Evander thinking all of his teeth were knocked out with one punch.

Aside from Ali, I am only confident in Lewis and Holmes beating peak Foreman. Larry had the jab to keep Foreman off balance and the chin to withstand his blows. If Larry could survive Shavers, then I don't see why he couldn't survive Foreman's blows either. Furthermore, Larry would still be fresh in the later rounds when Foreman starts to tire and he'd box the crap out of him.

As for Lewis, he had just the punch Foreman was suspect to.....the right hand. Each time Foreman was dropped, it was by a right hand. Add to this the fact that Lewis had a good jab and great boxing ability. I think he'd be cautious, using his boxing skill to keep Foreman in check and then landing the power shots at the right time. Lewis' chin definitely let him down more than once, but when he was prepared and focused he was rarely hurt.

Vitali and Joe Louis have a chance against prime Foreman but I don't back them the way I do Holmes and Lewis.

Re: Name 5 heavyweights who could beat PEAK George Foreman (1973-74)

Will69
Prime Foreman was more than the sum of his parts.  Although most people agree that Foreman 2.0 was better skilled, I think prime Foreman would destroy the opponents that old George did not.  Morrison would not defeat a prime George.  No way.  Briggs too wouldn't get the nod (he would go toe-to-toe with George and end up like he did against Lewis when he tired).  Back to the original question:

I also agree that Holyfield would likely not make the list, due to all the previously mentioned arguments.

Holmes is a bit of a wild card for me.  He never had great competition during his prime to fully prove himself.  I also don't know if his chin is tested to be diamond-strength like Ali's.  But he did overcome Shavers twice, so one could argue that he did have the whiskers to hold up.  I guess although Holmes had great tools and ability on his resume,  I somehow think a monster like a prime Foreman would cut the ring and get Larry in too many dangerous positions.  Larry wouldn't be as inclined to spin away or lean out of danger like Ali did.  Larry's left jab would save him a few times, but in 12 rounds he absolutely would be tagged and tagged hard repeatedly.  Larry's best chance is to hope Foreman tired early.

Lewis and the Klits have the best odds of defeating a prime Foreman.  Their size, strength and skill could get the job done, but each one also fights a bit differently, and with each one, it's a dangerous fight. Wlad's great defense could see him through.  Lewis, like Wlad, had great timing when he was focused, and could land the heavy right at the right time.  Vitali was more of a brawler, which would be risky for both of them.

Also, Sonny Liston is a real threat too.  Sonny taught Foreman some of his style, so he would know how to engage with him effectively.  They did train and spar together, and Liston, as an old man, actually took some of Foreman's hard shots and pushed Foreman around.    Imagine a ferocious, prime Sonny in there.

Also, Sonny Liston is a real threat too.  Sonny taught Foreman some of his style, so he would know how to engage with him effectively.  They did train and spar together, and Liston, as an old man, actually took some of Foreman's hard shots and pushed Foreman around.    Imagine a ferocious, prime Sonny in there.
No Joe Louis?

Re: Name 5 heavyweights who could beat PEAK George Foreman (1973-74)

Brooklyn's Finest
I can't name five. But Tyson is among the few. Trust me. He'd get it done.