Napping before a fight?

Left Hook From Hell...
I've seen Rocky Marciano and Lennox Lewis nap before fights. You'd think a nap would make you feel groggy and slow your performance in the ring. But as we know Rocky and Lewis had legendary success. Is sleeping right before a fight a good thing? Is it recommended?

Re: Napping before a fight?

Re: Napping before a fight?

I've seen Rocky Marciano and Lennox Lewis nap before fights. You'd think a nap would make you feel groggy and slow your performance in the ring. But as we know Rocky and Lewis had legendary success. Is sleeping right before a fight a good thing? Is it recommended?
Lewis probably napped right before this fight and entered the ring groggy, then got put right back to sleep! lol

Re: Napping before a fight?

Naw. Lewis was wide awake before that fight. There's a detailed documentary posted here somewhere about that fight.

There was a picture I saw once of Rocky Marciano sleeping like a baby in the dressing room before a fight but I can't find it now.

Re: Napping before a fight?

Studies show that a brief nap energizes folks at midday & helps performance.  That & eating right assists the midday energy dip.
Studies are wrong. Naps don't help everyone.

Re: Napping before a fight?

Brooklyn's Finest
Sleeping before and after a big fight are the worst. I could never nap peacefully before a fight, especially a big one. I can only imagine the insomnia Manny Pacquaio felt before the Mayweather fight.

Sleeping after a fight can be rough. Sometimes in the ring during the fight you feel fine. But it's that night in bed and the day after that you feel every blow.

Re: Napping before a fight?

Re: Napping before a fight?

49-0
I think Evolution is saying that you can't believe studies only when you agre with them. For example I remember you got mad when white girls were on here saying black dicks were bigger than white dicks! You tried to go against the "studies" then.  Another reason people here believe you're a white supremacist.

Re: Napping before a fight?

Re: Napping before a fight?

I assume you do not just mean to stiir things up 49-0.  But it is unfortunate that you are not at all accurate in describing what I did or even what Evolution indicated.

First, Evolution merely said studies are wrong, he neither took nor implied any position that I am selective in accepting studies.

I answered that there is much evidence the studies apply to most, I would say the vast majority.  Not necessarily everyone.  Though also when naps exceed 20 minutes the benefits may be lost & sluggishness set in, so perhaps the details of nap length make the difference.

Now you can review the thread, both my language & tone-I was never remotely "mad" when it was said blacks were bigger.  What form of projection divorced from my whole content & tone is operating here?
Neither did I even DENY this.  Again, because there is actually contradic(k)-tory evidence, & some surveys DO show this average difference.  I merely said I am unsure, & one cannot judge with any accuracy with a few-or even a few dozen-lovers of all groups.  Because not only is it possibly one will confirm preconceptions, but first impressions make a disproportionate impact, there are many ways to misperceive...

And the biggest problem is you need a much larger-no pun intended-sample size to accurately judge.  Because otherwise random factors can easily lead one to false comclusions...
Like if you meet only a few Basque/Malysian/Somalian or whatever guys & they tend to be tall (or short)-that tells nothing about the statistical average of the group.
You need ~ 1000 randomly selected members (no pun intended ) of a group to get ~ a 3% range of era on any poll (or about poles, cannot stop the puns...)

This is another tiresome example where even my basic reaction & claims about an issue were misunderstood.   Though I do not respond in (un)kind & presume you intended to falsify anything.
It is deeply & comically wrong to assign someone a white supremisicst on such silly, petty- & completely misunderstood "issues".

Though it is emotionally loaded for many who are insecure, so to paint me-presumably completely accidentally-as believing things I explicitly do NOT could rile up sensitive or less secure folks.

By the way, if you believe the studies that make black guys larger on average-which might be the case, but you have to sort out self reporting/exaggeration from all groups, Dr.s differeing measuring techniques-there is also evidence that may or may not be accurate that South & East Asians are, on average, smaller.  This has been attributed to a lower average testosterone rate, which i have heard about before, even from athletes from those regions-though i do not know if it would effect phallic dimensions.  Whites in many accounts tend to be around average, though in one international survey i read they actually exaggerated size more than others.

ANYWAY what I really wrote when first reacting applies again here;
I just joked that guys of whatever group will tend to like or dislike the results based upon their identification.
Anyway averages do not apply to all individuals.
But I could not care less what the truth is or if "my" group rates "well" or not.
Any honest & scrupulous review of the actual record will reflect this.

Now hopefully you too can move past the hair-trigger assumptions, stereotyping, demonizing, & name calling.

Re: Napping before a fight?

Re: Napping before a fight?

49-0
You're delusional. There was a time nearly everyone on this board thought you were an annoying retarded racist and wanted you gone, even Becky, one of the mods. You're lucky you have a tight friendship with the site owner...most people would fold to the pressure of the overwhelming majority.

I didn't say you WERE a racist but that most feel you are. Most have moved on now but you don't remember earlier this year? Is your memory that short? The majority of people here felt u were a racist and annoying presence and actually walked out on this site. THAT'S how unpopular you were.

Anyway I'm not trying to start anything...I'm just giving another example why many here feel or felt that you are a white supremacist. I was trying to help you out. Next time I'll keep my mouth shut. If you still don't understand why people see you as a bigot (whether its true or not) then you're either in too deep denial or you're not as smart as you try to come across with your college words. I can't help you. Sorry.

As for why Iove Rocky....think about all of the physical handicaps he had. Short, stoop shouldered, 2 left feet, clumsy, awkward, cut easy, etc. He had NO buisness being undefeated OR Heavyweight champeen. Amazing that no one beat him and he reached the pinnacle. Rocky Mar iano was living proof that there is a God.

Re: Napping before a fight?

Re: Napping before a fight?

1) I forgot nothing, have a very good memory, & there was a time when most thought i was racist.
2) There is no indication that most believe this now, & some explicitly say otherwise.
3) I have went into great detail of the profoundly irrational dynamics that caused this; & you avoid, cannot contest, all details.
4) It is mistaken or decptive to say that folks walked out...Avoiding the fact that there was literally a conspiracy behind the scenes, many members contacted privately, after smear campaigns against me did not gain enough traction.  This was organized a couple times, APOLOGIZED for to AJ...And all this after whole threads created to attack me that i handled good-naturedly.
5) Then even after things calmed down a dude who I admitted was sometimes funny persisted with vicious personal attacks, photographic & related invasions of privacy, personal attacks...
If you are fair-minded you would acknowledge this was vicious & wrong.
6) You are RIGHT that most fold under group pressure.
AJ was very fair & strong.  So I was not removed based on utterly bogus reasons & undeniable bullying campaigns.

7) You may have meant well 49-0.  But folks often have unrecognized motivations, & the way you selectively see & address facts-& can say something like I think black woman are "mine'-betrays your misunderstanding, to put it neutrally.

8) "Can't help me"?  I do not need it, & you actually do not even acknowledge most of the group psychology I addressed only in part.  This would go for a host of hysterical reactions to specifics I never shirked responding to.  Also, perhaps you did not notice a bunch of folks who defended me at different times.

9) See you conveniently skipped what was uncomforatable, but there was neighter any reason to believe Evolution thought I was selective about statistics-he said that particular statistics about naps are WRONG...
Nor that this was in any way whatsoever related to the sex issue you brought up out of the blue.
OR any of the far-fetched, socially disruptive charges of extreme racism.

This was perhaps consciously well-intended by you, but seeemed like a totally random excuse to bring up serious biases...When nobody rational would think "napgate" & the discussion showed anything like you suggest.
it is like worrying at an old wound when there is not even an itch!

 10) I have no problemo of why you like Rocky & admire much about him.
He also had gifts like great power, stamina, will...
I am just saying it is easy to construct an UTTERLY FALSE narrative like racism that is deeply unfair.
Especially in a psychologically charged situation with literal conspiracies afoot.

I hope you choose to not keep worrying at this old wound.  Though do not attempt to censor anyone, it is ironically not conducive to the peace.

Though puzzling, sometimes conscious intent is very different from effect...
So thank you for any & all good intentions you had.

(sighs) You're still annoying as hell man. Whatever.

As far as naps go, they may energize some. Others not so much. What do you feel the standard nap time should be? Maybe sleeping for 30-40 minutes should re-energize you. But an hour and a half will make you feel even worse.

Re: Napping before a fight?

Re: Napping before a fight?

It's Dale
I could never nap before a fight, especially a big one. Too much pressure. I don't think my nerves would let me relax. But everyone is different.