Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

Muhammad Ali is probably the biggest athlete of all time in terms of popularity. Joe Louis was really famous during his time, and Mike Tyson is certainly up there in terms of fame. I'd say he's right under Ali with Louis being under Tyson.

But under those three, who was the most revered? I say it's a toss-up between Jack Dempsey during his era, and Evander Holyfield during the late '90s. When I say famous, I mean EVERYBODY on earth knows you or at least knows of you.

Thoughts?

Re: Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

Phantom Punch
Foreman had immense popularity because of his grill and him winning the title again in 1994. He gets my vote.

Re: Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

RICKY TAN
To me, true fame is everlasting. If you're really famous, generations of people will not forget you as the years go by.

Joe Louis, for all his fame during the '30s, 40s and 50s, is largely forgotten now. Ask most young people who Joe Louis was and they look at you puzzled. As much as Louis accomplished, his fame was really quite temporary when you think about it. You have to be a relic from that time or do some research to know who Louis is.

The same is true of Dempsey. It's funny how he, Charlie Chaplin and Babe Ruth were the most famous people of the '20s. You could argue that Dempsey was the most famous of them all at that time, but Charlie Chaplin is remembered most today, and most baseball fans know who Babe Ruth is. But Dempsey has to be researched, much like Louis.

Mike Tyson will likely have lasting fame. Evander was popular during the years he beat Tyson but no one really knows him anymore now, at least not anyone who doesn't follow boxing. I say Foreman will be the most famous, but ironically it's more for the grill sales than boxing.

Re: Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

Hard to say but I know its sad that Rocky Balboa is more famous than Joe Frazier. He even got a statue in Philly and Joe didn't. What a world we live in.

Re: Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

It's Dale
In my time I've lived through the eras of many famous heavyweights. I would rank them like this, at least from what I've witnessed personally.

1. Muhammad Ali
2. Mike Tyson
3. George Foreman
4. Joe Louis
5. Evander Holyfield

Joe Louis to me had "outlived" his time. Even by the '60s he was kind of like a famed silent film actor who hadn't had a hit movie since that particular era and was no longer relevant. He was still a big draw at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. People from all over were happy to meet the champ during his later years.

When Joe died people stopped talking about him, but someone like Bruce Lee or Jackie Robinson still retains their fame long after death. I say Joe's popularity was overshadowed by "The Greatest." Had Muhammad Ali never fought, Joe would be recognized much more.

Re: Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

Too kinda emphasize Dale's point, I can see how much Louis was adored even long after his career. When he was introduced before major heavyweight fights, he always got huge standing ovations. He got introduced around 15:33, right after George Foreman, who got booed viciously.

Re: Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

Evan Fields
^^Yeah. He got a similar ovation when he refereed the Frazier & Quarry rematch. It was well earned.

Go to 10:50. He got a standing ovation and the applause was never ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18Thh-MtyV8

This reminds me of the effect Muhammad Ali had on people when he was old.

Muhammad is most famous, but I'd rank them like this.

1. Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Mike Tyson
4. George Foreman
5. Jack Johnson

Mike Tyson is really famous, but 20 years after he's dead will people still talk about him? I think the answer is yes because he rescued boxing in the 80s and those brutal knockouts will no doubt live on. But we'll still have to see. Jack Johnson was infamous during his time but everyone remembers him. Being the first black heavyweight champion was historic. It's mentioned in most history books in schools.

Re: Other than Ali, Tyson and Louis, who was the most famous heavyweight?

Phantom Punch
Evan Fields wrote
Muhammad is most famous, but I'd rank them like this.

1. Ali
2. Joe Louis
3. Mike Tyson
4. George Foreman
5. Jack Johnson
I almost agree with your list. I'd just make minor rearrangements.

Ali
Tyson
Foreman
Johnson
Louis

Jack Johnson is actually learned about in schools because he made history being the first African American man to win the title. I hear a lot more about him from non-boxing fans than I do about Louis. Louis is badly overshadowed by Ali, Tyson, Foreman and Johnson.

Rocky Marciano ain't the most famous, but if he wasn't undefeated he probably wouldn't be spoken of at all.