Peek-A-Boo

1234 ... 6

Peek-A-Boo

Who used this trademark Cus D'Amato technique better? Patterson or Tyson?
Who used the "peek-a-boo" techniques better?

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Shane
Floyd Patterson.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Maximillian
Floyd Patterson used it in a variety of ways. Mike Tyson only fought coming forward.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

They were both explosive using this style. I prefer Tyson, though. He'd counter you with vicious hooks to the body and blast your chin with uppercuts.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Redemption wrote
Floyd Patterson.

Damn Floyd was a small heavyweight. All little and cutesy. His light frame is without doubt how he was so fast with his hands. Even though Floyd was not a real big puncher, he was just as dangerous as Mike Tyson was. Sometimes power doesn't really matter. It's the speed and accuracy.  Evander Holygield is not a big puncher but can knock out anyone because of his timing and quickness. Speed and accuracy can score big knockouts. In Mike Tyson's case it was speed, accuracy and big power. I think that Mike Tyson used the peekaboo style better because Floyd failed to use it effectively against bigger or more intimitating opposition like Ali and Liston.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Very good thread idea.

Patterson would have been great with any style. Tyson as said was the ideal specimen for the peek-a-boo style. I do think that Patterson was the more versatile fighter, he could mix it up with inside fighting and by boxing behind a jab from a distance. With Tyson it was more him bulldozing you with power and an aggressive attack, behind the solid guard and defensive techniques that D'Amato taught.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Zombies Ate Me wrote
Very good thread idea.

Patterson would have been great with any style. Tyson as said was the ideal specimen for the peek-a-boo style. I do think that Patterson was the more versatile fighter, he could mix it up with inside fighting and by boxing behind a jab from a distance. With Tyson it was more him bulldozing you with power and an aggressive attack, behind the solid guard and defensive techniques that D'Amato taught.
Good post..

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Tyson had an underrated jab that he used to get inside while bobbing and weaving. That jab would back up his opponents and force them to make a mistake that could be countered. I can't really say who used the style better. As some of you have said, Tyson only used it coming forward, but it worked for him.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Evan Fields
Ive never understood Patterson .. the style he developed so did not fit his chin .. why he did not fight more as a boxer is beyond me ... he had the speed, build and power .. like Wlad K., he should have had a style that maximized his strengths and minized his vulnerabilities ...

Re: Peek-A-Boo

I agree, Gr8 One. But Patterson had short arms. Wlad can afford to stay outside and use his reach to make it difficult to smash that chin. Patterson can't fight on the outside. He's ineffective there. I appreciate him getting inside and brawling.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

The Gr8 One wrote
Ive never understood Patterson .. the style he developed so did not fit his chin .. why he did not fight more as a boxer is beyond me ... he had the speed, build and power .. like Wlad K., he should have had a style that maximized his strengths and minized his vulnerabilities ...
Wlad has the height and reach to keep you from attacking that chin. Same as Lennox Lewis. They protected their chins with their long arms and reach. Floyd was too small for that. But he was so freaking fast that he generally knocked you out first. Floyd was an explosive fighter. Without him there would be no Mike Tyson.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Evolution
I've never understood this "peek-a-boo." It looks cool but it's all for show. Cus D'Amato was a showman. I'll never forget one of my amatuer fights when the guy came at me dancing around crouching low in that ridiculous "peek-a-boo." I knocked him out with the first right hand I threw! I just don't see the appeal in it. You can bob and weave without holding your gloves up to your face.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

A lot of people tried to copy Mike Tyson and use the peek-a-boo defense. Only Tyson and Patterson excelled in this technique.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Just look at Patterson. Watch him go!!!

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Just look at Patterson. Watch him go!!!

You just demonstrated why Floyd Patterson was so much better using this style than Mike Tyson.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

They (Kevin Rooney and Mike Tyson) had a great chemistry from up in their Catskills days, and it worked perfectly for them, and the style that they were, the Cus D’Amato style was perfectly aligned for a guy just exactly like Mike Tyson. So everything was happening right in place, and everything was synchronized with those short little punches and that bob and weave style. No one else would have executed it as effectively as Mike Tyson I think because of the way he was built, and because of the natural speed and power that he had.
-Emmanuel Stewart

Re: Peek-A-Boo

I've never understood this "peek-a-boo." It looks cool but it's all for show. Cus D'Amato was a showman. I'll never forget one of my amatuer fights when the guy came at me dancing around crouching low in that ridiculous "peek-a-boo." I knocked him out with the first right hand I threw! I just don't see the appeal in it. You can bob and weave without holding your gloves up to your face.
Yes but this only helps prove my theory that Cus D'Amato wanted his fighters to have more entertainment value than be true fighting machines. The peek-a-boo style may look cool as hell but it's ineffective. It's only bobbing and weaving with your guard up protecting your face. Mike Tyson had the chin to take big punches on the rare occasions when he got hit in his prime. Floyd did not, as Ingemar Johnanson and Sonny Liston proved. Muhammad Ali put Floyd on the ground as well. Floyd should have used a different style to protect his chinny chin chin.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

49-0
I think Floyd used the style better than Mike. More variety. Mike was predicatable but Floyd could do more things with the style.

Re: Peek-A-Boo

Re: Peek-A-Boo

I've never understood this "peek-a-boo." It looks cool but it's all for show. Cus D'Amato was a showman. I'll never forget one of my amatuer fights when the guy came at me dancing around crouching low in that ridiculous "peek-a-boo." I knocked him out with the first right hand I threw! I just don't see the appeal in it. You can bob and weave without holding your gloves up to your face.
Ha! Was he literally dancing? Hip thrusting and all? I can't imagine Cus D'Amato teaching Elvis moves to his fighters.
1234 ... 6