People siding with boxers from their generation

People siding with boxers from their generation

I've noticed that people generally side with the best boxer of their generation as the greatest of all time.

ALL of my grandparents will tell you that Joe Louis was the best ever. My dad, uncles and other people who were around during the '60s and '70s will tell you it was Muhammad Ali. My generation has Mike Tyson.

What about you? Do you side with boxers from your era because you grew up with them?

Re: People siding with boxers from their generation

precious
AJ, The simple answer is mostly yes but the the advent of computers giving extensive access to old boxing films & good sites like this, the result has opened up a world of opinion & knowledge. You then can formulate your own opinions on who you think are favorite boxers or your greatest boxers.

Re: People siding with boxers from their generation

Evolution
People side with celebrities from their generation whether its sports, music or whatever. Hey, I love Marvin Gaye, Prince and Michael Jackson. My kids are more into Usher, Coldplay, Jay-Z and others from this genertation.  My parents were into James Brown and The Beatles. Michael Jordan was dominating basketball during my day. My kids prefer Lebron. Generation is everything.

But its gets wrong when people automatically assume that people from their era is the BEST. People you grow up with will obviously be your favorite. But being the best and being your favorite are two different things.

In the case of Joe Louis and Muhammad Ali, people from those generations do have a good case though. '80s babies prefer Mike Tyson. But I consider him more exciting than great, though he had the potential to be a great.

Re: People siding with boxers from their generation

Zorro
Good thoughts here. Ironcially Joe Louis was not my era! I was born in the '50s during Rocky Marciano's reign as Heavyweight Champion and it was Muhammad Ali, Joe Frazier, Jerry Quarry, George Foreman and that era who were on the scene when I was growing into a young man.

Maybe it was because my dad was such a Joe Louis fan that Joe meant so much to me. But I grew up on his fight films and they suggest to me that he was the best. Muhammad Ali may have been much louder and controversial but in the ring Joe Louis was the GOAT in my opinion. And he had been retired for a few years by the time I was born.

Re: People siding with boxers from their generation

49-0
People don't just side with their generation. They may side with someone from their hometown or someone with a similar upbringing. Boxing has always had a racist undertone and some people side with boxers because of their race. This was especially true back in the old days.

It's no secret that Rocky Marciano is my favorite boxer. He was not my era, I am not Italian American like he was, and I live nowhere near Brockton, MA where he lived. Why do I like Rocky so much? Because he was undersized but courageous as could be. He didn't let physical limitations stop him. I used to play football and was the smallest guy on the team. But I was the toughest cookie out there and I worked harder than everyone else. That's why I love Rocky Marciano. There are some parrallells.

Re: People siding with boxers from their generation

precious
 40-0 said "Because he was undersized but courageous as could be. He didn't let physical limitations stop him." I love Rocky for the same reasons especially courage & determination & overcoming all his physical limitations. My dad who was a boxer when he was young always cited Rocky as a man who won most of his fights by sheer will to win, guts you name it. I also favour Joe Louis after seeing a fight enthusiasts collection around 1980 when at the time my hero was Ali who I thought was surely the greatest but re-evaluated my opinions,  & Joe's, Rockys records stand up regardless of detractors who constantly devalue their achievements for fighting what they perceived to be poor opposition, of which I vehemently disagree. Harry Carpenter once said it doesn't really matter who is the greatest of all time claims, you can only be the greatest of  your generation. I can't help though but side with Hagler, Leonard,Hearns Duran in the lighter divisions over the likes of Jones, Mayweather & others. I may very well be looking through rose colored glasses, oh well perhaps, but thats my opinion for what it's worth

Re: People siding with boxers from their generation

Will69
I think you're right AJ.  Tyson in the late 80s - 90s was my generation, so I always hold him in high regard.  But, as a young sprite in the late 70s, my dad and I used to watch Ali and that generation on ABC's wild world of sports, so I am also admittedly biased towards Ali.  As well, as a kid in the 80s, I met Ali and he was like a superstar.

I find myself not so interested in fighters of the early 60s and earlier.  And for the longest time, I was stuck in the 90s, watching the famous fights over and over, and never getting bored with them.  Just recently I have now merged over to fighters of the last 10 years, and even middle weight / cruiser weight fighters like Mayweather, Pacquiao, Marquez, Huck, Lebedev, etc.