Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

KB50MJ
Boxing, or any form of fighting, is life broken down into 3-minute rounds.

Life is truly lived when we experience both highs and lows, triumph and failure. Happiness isn’t as appreciated if we haven’t already experienced pain or sadness. Success isn’t as satisfying if it isn’t preceded by failure. In a fight, there are moments where you question if you have ‘it’, where you think about finding a way out, an easier path than the one you have chosen. Just like pain, suffering, and failure help us become better fighters, they also help us develop character and become better people.

Adversity is a part of fighting, and a part of life. Accepting it and appreciating it can lead to greatness in either realm.

Rocky Marciano was a fighter, he wasn’t just a boxer. He took a punch to land a punch. He walked forward when most would take a step back. As such, he will go down as one of the greatest Legends the fight game has ever seen.

For all of his character flaws, his mistakes, and his weaknesses, Mike Tyson is a man who seems to be on the road to redemption. Admittedly scared when he walked into the ring, Tyson faced his fears by acting. We’ve all heard the term “act as if”, well Mike Tyson embodied that, especially early on in his career. He acted like the baddest man on the planet, and eventually earned that monicker by becoming a killer in the ring.

Both men are two polarizing figures and will be remembers for generations to come. With two very different personalities and styles in the ring, they shared some very visible characteristics.

Power can come from small packages

To say Marciano was powerful would be an understatement. Tyson, the same. Both also stood around 5’10 and fought in the heavyweight division; a weight class ruled by giants. Yet, both walked through bigger opponents like few others – no matter their size – have. So how did two ‘small guys’ possess so much power?

When you look at the majority of fighters in boxing, you’ll notice that the many of them are ‘top-heavy’. Their training focuses on their upper body; the muscles directly involved in throwing punches and defending against them. Tyson and Marciano are two exceptions to this body-type.

Both men have massive, tree trunk-like legs, from which their power is initiated. Coincidence? Nope. Whether by genetics, accident, or more likely from their training methods, both developed powerful lower bodies, and as a result, knockout power that is tough to rival.

The lesson: if you want real-world power, develop your legs.

http://www.chadhowsefitness.com/blog/2011/12/power-in-small-packages-rocky-marciano-mike-tyson/

The Article then goes into exercises that show you some ways to develop explosive strength and power in your legs. But it is a good thought. Most boxers, especially back in the day, were top heavy and didn't have very large or impressive legs. To get full development of the legs, you need to do some serious heavy resistance training to really build them up (I'm an experienced weight lifter). Another reason most boxers don't have big legs is because using weights is frowned upon in the boxing world by a lot of coaches, and like I said before, the only way to really develop them is to use weights. Maybe some boxers out there will realize this and start training legs for that power.

Re: Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

Thanks for the article. My favorite boxing style is that of the swarmers--the little guys with the big punch. (Tyson, Frazier, Tua, Dempsey and Marciano) They come right at you and knock you dead, no matter how big you are. They're exciting boxers to watch.

Re: Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

KB50MJ
Yea I noticed that. The shorter guys with the smaller reaches are usually the hardest hitters. Maybe its has something to do with the body-types.

Re: Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

When those muscular stocky heavyweights get inside and throw short punches, the impact is crushing. Many tall fighters lack that power, although Lennox Lewis and the Klitscho brothers have awesome punching power.(The Klischkos don't show it off too often, though).

Re: Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

Shane
If you wanna talk about thick legs, you need to watch this man. His legs are tree stumps.

Re: Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

KB50MJ
And thats why David Tua was one of the hardest punchers ever. His legs were MASSIVE.

Re: Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson had the leverage to put his whole body into one punch. This is probably the one thing he did in his prime that he maintained into his 30s. I mean, this was devastating. 230 pounds of pure Iron Mike into this one blow. This was a perfect inside shot.

Re: Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

KB50MJ
Yea. So many things made Tyson the puncher he was. Strength, speed, leverage. When you weigh a lot and you can put your entire body weight into a punch the effects are frighting.

Re: Power in Small Packages: Rocky Marciano & Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson had the leverage to put his whole body into one punch. This is probably the one thing he did in his prime that he maintained into his 30s. I mean, this was devastating. 230 pounds of pure Iron Mike into this one blow. This was a perfect inside shot.

This is what made Mike Tyson exciting, even when he was past his best. He could end things at any moment with one punch. You're always on the edge of your seat. Francis Botha was well ahead on the cards when Tyson socked him.