Punching power of the average man

Had a long chat with Entaowed on the phone the other day and he pointed out that most boxers hit harder than the average man. I mentioned how Chris Byrd's punching power has been compared to getting hit by a fly swatter. I imagined that -with Chris being a natural cruiserweight and not having a deadly knockout punch- he punched probably as hard as the average man.

Entaowed, (using his uncanny detailed memory analysis) pointed out a video I had forgotten about where Chris' punching power was computer-tested and resulted in 1,304 pounds. I weigh around 168, which is close in range to Chris' natural size. But I don't think I could ever hit that hard!

How hard do you think the average man punches in comparison to a boxer?

Re: Punching power of the average man

Evan Fields
Absolutely. Boxers are trained on how to punch correctly. Even a 300 pound NFL football star probably can't bang like someone like Rahman.

Re: Punching power of the average man

49-0
Evan Fields wrote
Absolutely. Boxers are trained on how to punch correctly. Even a 300 pound NFL football star probably can't bang like someone like Rahman.
Goes both ways. Some people are just natural punchers. That's why they say punchers are born, not made. Earnie Shavers was regular dude who got started late in boxing and realized on his first day in the gym that he had a supernatural punch. Imagine that? A regular joe off the street stepped in a gym one day and realized he's the hardest puncher of all time!

Rocky Marciano was a small man, played baseball and football. He didn't find out he could punch like a heavyweight until he knocked out some bum in the army in a fight with one punch. Sometimes an "average man" discovers accidentally that they have unprecedented punching power.

Who knows? There may be some random guy somewhere, maybe a principal, a construction worker, whatever, who can punch harder than Earnie Shavers but he'll never find out.

Re: Punching power of the average man

Shogun of Harlem
I know I'm at risk for sounding like Entaowed here, but what's considered "average?" What size is the average male? 5'10? 6'0? 175 pounds? 190 pounds?

Re: Punching power of the average man

frank
i have held the mitts for many weightlifters and all could hit very hard,some with hooks others with straight right hands,so strength counts.
Luc

Re: Punching power of the average man

Luc
What I do know is that for many power increases in your 30s.

I see big lads in their early 20s on the heavy bag and they don't seem to carry the torque that the slightly older and slightly smaller lads do.

Re: Punching power of the average man

J.C.
49-0 wrote
Who knows? There may be some random guy somewhere, maybe a principal, a construction worker, whatever, who can punch harder than Earnie Shavers but he'll never find out.
That could very well be the case, considering people don't know their own strength. I've heard of women picking up cars when adrenaline kicks in! You just never know.

Re: Punching power of the average man

KB50MJ
Its all in the technique and the delivery of the punch. Everyone has the ability to hit hard for their size and weight. They just need to use their body properly and execute the punch flawlessly.

A lot of people don't know how to drive and land a punch properly. There a world champions that don't know how to punch correctly. As long as the technique is sound anyone can hit hard for their size. How else could you explain guys like dempsey, louis, marciano, frazier, tyson, and holyfield hitting harder then some guys who are twice their size. Its all in the delivery of the punch.

Re: Punching power of the average man

Some of the men blessed with a great punch, ala Rocky Marciano were natural punchers but I'm sure their punch improved when they started boxing.

KB50MJ who are some of the world champs who don't punch correctly?

Re: Punching power of the average man

Re: Punching power of the average man

Malik Wright
^^ What about comeback Foreman, rookie? He punched better when he was older I think

Re: Punching power of the average man

Re: Punching power of the average man

In a sense he did...He trhrew more short shots, though still unloaded with those looping haymeker body shots.  His jab was always excellent, he just sometimes forgot to use it in his 1st career  Evlution spoke about how numbing it was, & moved big guys around-including Holyfield out of range.

He was a legitimate contender quality fighter until he retired when approaching 49.
He was just too slow to take out most of the best of the best, but Moorer was foolish enough to stand & trade with Foreman.

Not 10 seconds below Teddy Atlas is screaming "don't stand in front of him"!
Foreman threw the lefts to move him into the path of a short devastating right.
Moorer was too proud to accept it was no lucky punch.

Goodnight Irene.
Very good post. I understood every word. Bravo

Re: Punching power of the average man

Great points 49-0, Rocky, Tua, Tyson for relatively small men by HW standard have natural power & when they become boxers learn how to enhance that gift with training. Foreman was big & was a monster banger so with this deadly combination seemed to have it all, he just didn't work out until later to pace himself because as we know others have natural resilient chins, he found that out to his demise v Ali. Nearly everyone has a hidden gift but never really get to use it unless they become aware it's there. I play guitar at a reasonable standard but am not naturally gifted like my friend who can listen to a song & find the key with ease all by his natural ear & work out complicated riffs & solos by guys like slash without referring to musical notation. He cant read tab like me , he just picks out patterns, not explainable. I'm still searching for my natural gift LOL

Re: Punching power of the average man

RICKY TAN
I got mad and punched a hole in the wall once. But I'm considered a powerful man though. 6'4.

Re: Punching power of the average man

KB50MJ wrote
 As long as the technique is sound anyone can hit hard for their size. How else could you explain guys like dempsey, louis, marciano, frazier, tyson, and holyfield hitting harder then some guys who are twice their size. Its all in the delivery of the punch.
You're right but as we've been discussing in another thread lately, genetics play a part too. Louis' mom and dad were large people. Marciano's mother was heavyset. Evolution personally met Evander Holyfield's father who is a big man who used to lift trucks. Joe Frazier used to be an overweight kid who turned his fat into muscle and power. He and Mike are naturally strong men. I don't know anything about Dempsey's family genetics but he knew how to punch correctly. He would throw a punch with a loose fist and bite down just a mere nano second before impact.

Because of genetics you may see a scrawny guy who can surprise you by punching like Max Baer. But you're absolutely right that proper technique is one of the keys.

Re: Punching power of the average man

Entaowed II

He was a legitimate contender quality fighter until he retired when approaching 49.
Waaaaaaaaait a minute, Entaowy. First we must define what is meant by legitimate. Legit can often mean "real" as opposed to "fake." So are other contenders that are not legit considered fake?  If we use this form of folly what would be fake about them? Boxers with false arms, legs, torsos? In actuality a fighter could not be fake because these limbs are needed to legitimize combat in the duchess of queensbury rules and mama se mama se mamacita.

You need to step back from the brink, man. He was approaching 49 but is that a sin? Is it WRONG for a person to approach 49 years of age? Elephants never forget, but Ramses II is still a mummy. Remember the golden rule que pasa? IF you can't do that then you must faghettaboutit.

Out of all the particle types in the world, latex particles are perhaps one of the most interesting. Latexes are used in a variety of chemical products, such as adhesives and other industrial goods. They are polymerics found naturally occurring in plants, such as in the rubber tree. Despite advancements, it is very difficult imitate natural latex. Chemically, latex is defined as a polymer that is present in a liquid as individual particles. In general, one of the most important aspects for consideration with latex is the size of latex particles. This may seem superfluous, but it is extremely fundamental in designing specific products.

Controlling the size of a latex particle can control its functions, uses and effectiveness. The size of a latex particle also determines how it is prepared, handled and applied in the natural world. Particle size for latex is typically more difficult to determine because it requires the measurement of individual particle size as well as particle distribution. There are many reasons for the need to analyze latex particle size: the size and distribution of latex particles in adhesives, for example, affect the effectiveness of the adhesive. Molecularly, the strength of adhesives is directly affected by the size of the latex particles involved. Latex particles are also used in mechanics and chemical research. They are also used in certain instruments or diagnostic methods. Before any latex product can be used, though, the general size of the particle and its characteristics must be effectively determined, since the sizes of latex particles can vary widely. Their diameters range from .03 to 220 microns.

There are various ways to analyze the particle size of latex. The newest is the Delsa Nano Zeta Potential and Submicron Particle Size Analyzer. Using photon correlation spectroscopy, it measures the size of a particle by evaluating light scattered by the particles. It essentially uses the movements of particles to help determine size. A more commonly used method, however, is the dynamic light-scattering method, which in a similar way to measure particle size distribution.

Other methods towards analyzing the size of latex particles include TEM, or transmission electron microscopy, along with image analysis. The measurements acquired through this method turn out to be the inverse of the actual particle size. This method of analysis is used by sending an electron beam through the latex particles and forming an image. The image results from the interaction of electrons and other particles. Analyzing latex particles is a delicate matter that requires intense focus, but benefits those seeking to use latex for many purposes.

But how do we know how hard the big guy can punch? I understand that professors at Harvard measured the great (white) Rocky Marciano's punch. This process of networking with stakeholders is backed by a rather new approach to the inner workings within the laboratory. The tests themselves are made in fully automatized systems, which typically perform all the required spectroscopic and/or genetic tests from the same base sample, while controlling (though management software) for the quality of the tests, distributing the results, etc. The unambiguous result of this automatization is a sharp improvement in the reliability of the tests with minimal human interference.

Re: Punching power of the average man

Re: Punching power of the average man

Calling me by the one of your identities Entaowy.
Mostly just a cut & paste job, instead of original writing.
I would like at the clever parts...
But now you sneak in the hate.  "Fag" corrupting a word.
Gratuitously pointing out the obvious that Marciano was white, as if I was at all biased.
Seemingly inserted surreptitiously, so you can avoid again being removed.  Sad.

Still I cannot respect you when there is not only no sincere apology for past vicious hate speech directed at, & evil motives attributed to me...

And no apology for the widely condemned privacy invasion of using my FB images to mock & demean.

A good parody does not invent monstrous motives that are nowhere in evidence, & are not a cruel & desperate bid for attention.  You did not get banned, & no responses here, for no reason.

If you were just doing good-natured teasing nobody would mind.
As it is it seems you need a hobby.  to put it kindly.
Sounds like you hate the man, not that I'd blame you if you did. How do you know it was a copy and paste job?

Re: Punching power of the average man