Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

They were the best of the 90s, but who should be ranked highest? Here's my list.

1) Evander. The reason? 4-time heavyweight champion, best cruiserweight career of all time, fought countless brutal wars both at heavyweight and cruiserweight, and fought the best competition of everyone outside of Muhammad Ali.

2) Lewis. He unified the heavyweight titles, had 15 title defenses, beat everyone of importance during his era. Not only did he conquer his own era but he beat guys from the 80s (Bruno, Biggs, Tucker, Jackson) and the very man who succeeded him as heavyweight champion. (Vitali Klitschko)

3) Tyson. He unified the heavyweight titles and was the yyoungest boxer to win a heavyweight title. Other than that and being exciting, he didn't accomplish anything.

Some of you may disagree but I'm curious who you would rank where and why?

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Will69
I would rank them:

1) Lewis - he dominated most of his opponents by a wide margin, and had a long reign.  His skills were at another level than most heavyweights.  He always could mix it up quite well - you never knew what his game plan was until you were on the floor looking up at the lights.  There were relatively few opponents who he even struggled with.  He entered and left boxing near the top of his game.

2) Holyfield - No boxer had more heart than this guy.  He was great for two decades, and wasn't afraid to fight most opponents (save Lewis possibly).  He had amazing skill and strength for a smaller heavyweight.  His portfolio is somewhat diminished after the Lewis fights - he became an average fighter, IMO.  That's why I'm not impressed with the 4-time heavyweight champion label - his fights in the 2000s were very lackluster and "giveaways".  Nonetheless, for what he did in the 90s, conquering almost everybody, he is an ATG.  Holyfield, in the 90s, wasn't afraid to fight on the outside, or brawl on the insides full throttle. Warrior indeed.

3) Tyson would have been at the top if he kept his focus and explosive performance of the 80s throughout his career.  No boxer was more captivating than Tyson in the 80s.  It seems like he either totally dominated most fighters, or struggled with them - no in between.  And there were not many he struggled with in the first half of his career.  His dis-mantling and decapitation of  greats like Holmes, Bruno, and many others is just too impressive to ignore.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Shogun of Harlem
As far as accomplishments go, it's Holyfield, Lewis and then Tyson. Head to head would be a whole 'nother list, however. Lewis did beat them both and was the last man standing when he beat Tyson, but Tyson and Holyfield were both finished when he got to them.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

RICKY TAN
Holyfield
Lewis
Tyson

But head to head a prime Tyson stops them both and also surpasses both men in popularity.
Luc

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Luc
1. Lewis.

Easily the the best of his generation. He beat everyone put in front of him.

Holyfield
Tyson
Tua
Ruddock
Mercer
Morrison
Briggs
Vitali

nobody comes close to that Legacy. And he did so with the weight of American public opinion against him. He wasn't always popular in the UK either. One of the best of all time - top 5.

2. Tyson

slightly controversial this but number 2 for me is Mike Tyson he was the best heavyweight in his era.  The fastest, the most powerful combination and snap puncher ... the most exciting boxing I've ever seen.

Few Fighters put fear in the heart of their opponents like he did.  The only person I could relate him to these days is Golovkin in the middleweight division.

3. Holyfield

Controversial yes I know, but Hollyfield for me, although a great fighter, has a mixed record and some very strange defeat and carried on too far into his old age.

A great fighter, but ultimately less of a great fighter than the two men above him.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Luc wrote

I can respect your reasoning. He was very inconsistent, even in his prime. He often mixed brilliant performances alongside horrible ones. But I do think a focused, determined Holyfield is tough enough to beat almost anyone.

[...]

I respect your rankings AJ. I have Evander at #1 too. His resume is like a "who's who" of boxing and he beat guys from the '70s, '80s and '90s. Holyfield is the only guy on this list to fight 15 rounders early in his career.

He did lose some fights but normally in his prime he avenged them. He was like Joe Louis in the sense that he was even better in rematches.

And he had some great, great fights. I'll never forget his bouts with Dokes and Qwai at crusierweight.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Rosco
I see why some of you pick Lennox. Evander may not have dominated the way Lennox did but he lost to McCall and Rahman. In his prime, Evander only lost to Bowe and later Michael Moorer. At least those guys were great in their own ways. Lennox may have lost the least amount of fights among the three but at least Holyfield lost to decent guys when he did lose.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Evolution
Evander fought the bigger names but some of those big names were long past their prime, like Big George and Larry Holmes. You could make a great case for Evander or Lennox, beat I pick Evander to beat Lennox head to head if both were prime.

As for Mike, he is he youngest man to win the heavyweight title and the youngest man to lose it.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

For such a small heavyweight, Evander did amazing things in the ring and accomplished a lot. Just imagine if he were the size of someone like Riddick Bowe? He’d be unstoppable

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Friday The 13th...
Holyfield was a four-time heavyweight champion. He accomplished a lot during his years entertaining us in the ring. A real warrior.

I rank Lewis next because of his dominance, and Tyson last.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Zorro
Considering Holyfield was a small man and scored so many impressive victories both at heavyweight and cruiserweight, I say he should rank higher. It's just more impressive from where I sit.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

If Holyfield has punching power like Tyson, Rocky or David Tua.

He would have stopped Bowe and Michael Moore in their first fight.

Holyfield will hurt Lennox Lewis more than Ray Mercer.

Due to his sneaky counter punches....

Holyfield's counter right hand did hurt Tyson, George Foreman and John Ruiz.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

^^Don’t forget Buster Douglas. Holyfield won his first heavyweight championship by knocking out Douglas with a brilliant right hand counter.

Re: Rank Tyson, Holyfield and Lewis

Will69 wrote
No boxer was more captivating than Tyson in the 80s.  It seems like he either totally dominated most fighters, or struggled with them - no in between.
That is a solid point about Mike. He was always black or white. This or that. There was no grey area.

My ranking is Lewis, Holyfield and then Tyson.

If we were to EXTEND these rankings of '90s fighters I would have it like this.

4.Bowe
5.Foreman
6.Tua