Rare Pics

I have others that I'll post shortly.

Joe Louis, Rocky Marciano, Jimmy Braddock and Floyd Patterson

Photobucket

Joe Louis, Joe Frazier and Jack Dempsey

Photobucket

Re: Rare Pics

Here are more...

Marciano and Dempsey

Rocky Marciano and Floyd Patterson

Jack Dempsey and Muhammad Ali

Max Schmeling and Jack Dempsey

Mike Tyson and Muhammad Ali

Joe Frazier, Joe Louis and ????

Frazier and Dempsey

Joe Louis and Sonny Liston

Joe Louis, Ingemar Johanson and Jack Dempsey

Joe Louis and Sonny Liston

Ali and Marciano

Jess Willard, Max Baer, Jim Jeffries, Jack Dempsey and Primo Carnera

Jersey Joe Walcott, Joe Louis and Jack Dempsey

Sonny Liston and George Foreman

Joe Louis and Sam Langford

Lennox Lewis and Muhammad Ali

Lewis and Ali

Holyfield and Ali

More to come later...

Re: Rare Pics

Cus D'Amato, Floyd Patterson, Mike Tyson and Jose Torres.

Re: Rare Pics

Jack Dempsey and Joe Louis

Re: Rare Pics

Joe Frazier, Joe Louis and ????
That is young George Chuvalo in that pic with Louis and Frazier. This was taken before his fight with Frazier. You can see their names atop of the arena in the background.

Duggerman wrote
Jess Willard, Max Baer, Jim Jeffries, Jack Dempsey and Primo Carnera
Jess Willard was much bigger than Primo Carnera. In this picture he's got his knee bent and is slouching, but still appears taller than the giant Carnera. I think Jess had Carnera beat by a good two inches...

Re: Rare Pics

Zorro
I found this old pic of Lennox and Ali.

Re: Rare Pics

49-0
^^Lennox is freaking tall. Would have been a great fight between those two.

Re: Rare Pics

Rosco
Joe Frazier and Mike Tyson a few years ago. They look the same height. RIP Joe.

Gerry Cooney, Joe Frazier and Larry Holmes

Re: Rare Pics

Evan Fields
I think Mike might have been a little taller than Joe Frazier. Lordy, this is when Mike was fat. He's back in shape now.

Re: Rare Pics

Re: Rare Pics

Re: Rare Pics

Joe Frazier performing with his band...Joe Frazier and The Knockouts!!!

Re: Rare Pics

Re: Rare Pics

49-0
I didn't know Louis helped train Floyd for the rematch with Johanson. That is awesome. Who better to take advice from?

Re: Rare Pics

Alexander
Rare picture of Lennox Lewis and Ken Norton.

Re: Rare Pics

49-0
Three legends. This was right before George won the title in Jamaica.

Re: Rare Pics

Re: Rare Pics

The two first things that popped in my eye is 1) the Ali-Marciano picture, where Ali looks like 7 inches on Rocky. This would make Rocky 5'8 or shorter. Does anyone have info on that?

Second thing that popped in my eye is Sonny Liston. You can just see on his face that the guy was a bad motherfucker. He looks meaner than all of them. He looks much meaner than the college boys Ken Norton and Lennox Lewis.

Also the picture between him and Foreman is interesting. Does anyone have info on that? I read once that Foreman gave Liston hell in sparring, but I don't know if that's true.

There were also official boxing exhibitions that took place between the two of them. I'm surprised there is no footage of it.

Re: Rare Pics

Moejoe wrote
The two first things that popped in my eye is 1) the Ali-Marciano picture, where Ali looks like 7 inches on Rocky. This would make Rocky 5'8 or shorter. Does anyone have info on that?

Second thing that popped in my eye is Sonny Liston. You can just see on his face that the guy was a bad motherfucker. He looks meaner than all of them. He looks much meaner than the college boys Ken Norton and Lennox Lewis.

Also the picture between him and Foreman is interesting. Does anyone have info on that? I read once that Foreman gave Liston hell in sparring, but I don't know if that's true.

There were also official boxing exhibitions that took place between the two of them. I'm surprised there is no footage of it.
Rocky Marciano was actually around 5'9 and a half. Listen to my interview with John Cameron, author of the new book, "Redemption: The Life and Death of Rocky Marciano." I have it as a pinned topic on this forum, or you can listen to it here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0UAzjlwkEo

This is the most detailed account of Rocky Marciano's life ever. John has uncovered a lot of stuff about the man. In fact, Peter Marciano walked out on the project when John unearthed the real reason Rocky was kicked out of the army.

I have no idea how the sparring sessions went between Foreman and Sonny. Where did you read Foreman gave him hell? I'd pick Liston to beat Foreman prime for prime, but given Sonny's age at the time he sparred with Foreman, it's possible that Foreman would have been a bit too much.

Re: Rare Pics

Rosco
Boxing, like wrestling, has exaggerated heights sometimes. In the very first pic in this thread, Floyd Patterson is crouching down and when he's crouched, he's around Marciano's height. Floyd was 5'11. Rocky was billed at 5'10 or 5'11 but that obviously wasn't so. Floyd was taller than Rocky by at least three inches.
12