Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Does The Rock Stand A Chance Against The Man Muhammad Ali Called A "Big Ugly Bear?"

I have my reservations. Sonny's power and long reach would be too much for Marciano. However, Liston proved to be a quitter when the going got tough. Marciano punched hard and would pressure Liston in a way that no other fighter had. Does Liston quit after getting cracked in the ribs by Marciano, or does he knock him out with ease?
Marciano v. Liston

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Shane
Muhammad Ali caught Liston at the end of his prime years. He was just too fast for him. I think he's criticized to harshly for submitting to Ali in those fights. If Sonny were such a quitter, he would have quit when Marty Marshall broke his jaw or when Eddie Machen took his punches for 15 rounds without going down. To keep it short, Sonny would be too dangerous for Rocky.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Maximillian
Rocky would get ass raped by Sonny.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Urban Legend
The Greatest wrote
Rocky would get ass raped by Sonny.
As a boxing fan, I would not pay my money to see that.

Rocky would win this. Sonny was a quitter. He wouldn't like Rocky banging him in the ribs and arms.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

It's a fight I'd like to see. Marciano was more durable than people give him credit for. One thing's for sure; he wouldn't let up on Liston.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

The Greatest wrote
Rocky would get ass raped by Sonny.
Are you sh*tting me? You seriously underrate Rocky Marciano.

I'll keep it short and sweet. If Sonny quit so easily (twice) against Ali, how would he hang with someone like Rocky who's punches actually hurt? Besides, The Rock would stay low and keep the pressure on Sonny. No other fighter dared to try that. Rocky knocks him out.

Again, Liston was over the hill when Ali got to him. I don't see Rocky beating Liston, especially the prime Liston from 1958-1960. That version of Liston would even beat Muhammad Ali, then known as Cassius Clay. Rocky was champ when Sonny was climbing the ranks. I would have loved to see them fight. If Sonny had got a shot at the title around 1954-55, his inexperience would have gotten him killed by Rocky. But prime versus prime, I don't see Rocky hanging with Sonny. Sonny would damage Rocky's nose worse than Ezzard Charles did.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Redemption wrote
 If Sonny had got a shot at the title around 1954-55, his inexperience would have gotten him killed by Rocky.
Yep. Sonny got schooled by Marty Marshall when he was on the way up. The sad thing is that Liston kept going in and out of jail when he was ascending the ranks. If he didn't have so many interruptions, it's possible that he could have been a contender for Marciano's title around late 1954 or 1955. But that version of Liston would lose to Marciano because he wasn't prime yet. Had they fought at that time, Liston would have had two losses to other greats during his career; Marciano before his prime and Muhammad Ali after it.

Maybe so. No one knows Sonny Liston's age, but Muhammad Ali was the only great fighter he fought and he quit twice against him. Prime or not, Sonny showed his true colors when faced with a challenge. Rocky Marciano would give Sonny Liston a different challenge. He would stay low and in Sonny's face. He would fight in his crouch, slipping Sonny's wild punches and countering with absolute thunder. No way could Sonny cope with Rocky's pressure and punching power. Sonny had power too. But Rocky could take a punch and would slip most of Sonny's punches to get inside and land his own. Rocky Marciano wins by knockout around 6 or 7.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Shane
The thing about Liston is, if a swarmer like Rocky does manage to slip inside his reach--which is still doubtful considering Listons pole jab that because of it's power and accuracy does the equivalent of a good HW's straight right and is faster than most people give credit for.

Once he's inside his reach Liston is versatile and can brawl or box, once someone gets inside his reach. He lets go with his powerful hooks and uppercuts and being heavier and stronger than Rocky would force him back out again, then start the jab routine all over again.

I think this is thee worst possible match up for Rocky excluding Foreman so I would go for Liston TKO4. The stoppage being in the same fashion as Foreman with Joe Frazier, only Rocky wouldn't keep getting up for more. He'd be knocked the fluck out.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

49-0
Redemption wrote
Once he's inside his reach Liston is versatile and can brawl or box, once someone gets inside his reach. He lets go with his powerful hooks and uppercuts and being heavier and stronger than Rocky would force him back out again, then start the jab routine all over again.
Rocky was small but strong as hell. Sonny would not be pushing Rocky all over the place. Rocky would punch nonstop and swarm Sonny. Those short uppercuts and hooks on the inside would hurt Sonny bad.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

To be honest, Jack Dempsey would be a much better match for Sonny Liston than Rocky Marciano. Jack had lighter feet, and was a quicker and more explosive puncher than Marciano. I could see him alluding Liston's long jab and countering with brutal swift combinations. Marciano would plant himself right in front of Liston. He might can avoid Liston's long jab but that uppercut of Liston's was a monster. You don't want to get smashed by any of Liston's blows.

 Good post and I totally agree. Jack could move well and befuddle Liston. He would attack without warning. Rocky punched a little bit harder than Dempsey, but the speed of Jack's attack would hurt Sonny.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Redemption wrote
 Good post and I totally agree. Jack could move well and befuddle Liston. He would attack without warning. Rocky punched a little bit harder than Dempsey, but the speed of Jack's attack would hurt Sonny.
Yeah. Frazier, Tyson and Marciano only moved forward. Dempsey had the best mobility and lightest feet out of those guys. Watch how he patiently circled Jess Willard and exploded on him at the right moment. I think he would do the same to a slow, lumbering and predictable heavyweight like Liston.

And even if Dempsey got caught, he had a solid chin. Both boxers here were terrific finishers. It ultimately depends on who landed the big punch first, and I'd put my money on Dempsey. Whoa, we need to start a thread on this topic.

Marciano beating Liston? I just don't see it. Fearless or not, he'd put himself right in front of a dangerous man and likely lose by knockout or TKO on cuts.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

49-0
Could Sonny Liston withstand the Suzy-Q? I have my doubts. This would be a good fight. Sonny Liston was a bully. Rocky would stand up to him and break him in half.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Urban Legend
Both of them had good chins and could brawl. I think Rocky wins because he threw a high volume of punches from all angles and there's no way Sonny could deflect all of them. Rocky would be attacking the head and body and punching with both hands. No way does Rocky stay outside where Sonny could jab him repeatedly. Sonny was good inside too but something tells me that he wouldn't stand up to Rocky's punishment for too long.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

49-0
Sonny never fought anyone that pressures and swarms you like a Rocky Marciano or a Joe Frazier. Someone that would stay in his face and not fear him!! Sonny had long arms and his uppercut was his only weapon on the inside. An inside phone booth fight is Rocky's thing. If he steps in and lands a short Suzy Q, it's lights out for Sonny.

Watch how short this punch is. Absolutely stunning.

It's those short inside punches that knock you senseless. Rocky was great at that.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Shane
Rocky Marciano never fought someone like Sonny Liston. Sonny Liston was a 215 pound monster with a long powerful jab, crushing uppercut and devastating left hook. Ask Floyd Patterson. He felt all three and didn't last one round with Liston in two fights.

The closest fighters to Sonny Liston that Rocky fought were Carmine Vingo and a 37 year-old Joe Louis. Carmine Vingo was taller than Sonny (6'4) but didn't have the reach and technical skills of Sonny, nor was his jab as strong and dominant. Joe Louis was flat footed and less aggressive than Sonny. Sonny came out ready to kill you with his jab or hook but Joe Louis set you up for traps or capitalized on your mistakes. Not to mention Joe was old as hell when Rocky crushed him.

Umm....you could ask Mr. Patterson but I don't know if he'll respond right away.

Re: Rocky Marciano Versus Sonny Liston

Umm....you could ask Mr. Patterson but I don't know if he'll respond right away.

lmfao. You smartass!!  Is that really Floyd's grave? It sure looks that way by the dates of birth and death.
123