Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

I always consider it 'freakish' because he hit extremely hard for such an undersized athlete. But how hard did he really punch? A real slugger, sure. Joe Louis said in his autobiography that Marciano was the hardest puncher he faced. If this is true, then it means Rocky packed a harder punch than Max Baer, Tony Galento, Abe Simon, Primo Carnera, Max Schmeling, Jimmy Braddock, etc. Not sure I buy Marciano hitting harder than Galento and Baer. Still, watching Rocky's blows shift around the heavy bag shows that this man had unusual punching strength for a little guy.

We've seen Rocky lay out guys with a single punch many times, even paralyzing Carmine Vingo. Jersey Joe Walcott said that Marciano hit harder than Louis, explaining that Rocky was a one-punch knockout artist but Louis' rhythm punches took you out.

Where do you rate Rocky's punching power among other ATG sluggers? Is he top 10? Remember that if you make a top ten of the hardest punchers ever you have to include Shavers, Foreman, Liston, Tyson, Tua, Ruddock, Baer, Frazier and several others. Certainly Rocky belongs. But where do you rank his legendary power?

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Sivul
Dare say Rocky hit as hard as Mike Tyson. The difference was that Mike generated more speed and was more precise in landing his blows. Rocky hit just as hard and though he lacked Tyson's accuracy he knocked you dead just the same when he caught you.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Sivul wrote
Dare say Rocky hit as hard as Mike Tyson. The difference was that Mike generated more speed and was more precise in landing his blows. Rocky hit just as hard and though he lacked Tyson's accuracy he knocked you dead just the same when he caught you.
I'd say when he landed flush his power was Tyson-esque. This is amazing considered Rocky was a 185 pound guy. Dempsey was quoted more than once saying that Rocky hit harder than him because when Rocky landed, it was over. Dempsey sometimes had to flatten guys numerous times to keep them down. He brutalized Willard but never knocked him out.

I noticed that on Fight Night Champion Rocky punches noticably harder than Iron Mike. Has a better chin, too. The only advantage Mike has over Rocky in the game is hand speed.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Sivul
Duggerman was talking about the video game. I don't think he believes Rocky had a better chin than Tyson. He was talking about the video game. In FNC they made Rocky better than Tyson in all ways other than speed.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

49-0
Rocky had a right hand on par with Lennox Lewis and/or Mike Tyson.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Rosco
Rocky has to be top ten, somewhere around 8-10. He hit Walcott with one of the hardest blows I've ever seen in a boxing ring. That punch alone has to catapault him up there.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Westmoreland
Rosco wrote
Rocky has to be top ten, somewhere around 8-10. He hit Walcott with one of the hardest blows I've ever seen in a boxing ring. That punch alone has to catapault him up there.
You got that right.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Evolution
Every once in a while you meet a little guy with the punching strength of a juggernaut. I recall one young chap I used to train who was 5'8 but hit as hard if not harder than the strongest guys in our camp. Too bad he didn't have Rocky's drive and determination. He let drugs and other personal demons get in his way.

I'm not saying he would have been another Rocky Marciano. But he had similar assets and could have been a great young cruiserweight with a monster heavyweight punch.

He and Rocky are both examples that punchers are born, not made.

Rocky was an enigma with inborn genetic natural power. How else could a man 5'10" 13.5 stone in English money with short arms become world champion. He made up with conditioning, relentless offense & above all unshakeable self belief. All this amounts to an opponent from hell, if you could have substituted some of these qualities into the young Tyson he may have reached his true potential. That game saving punch against Walcott was special. i would certainly place him top 10 in power.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

frank
This post was updated on .
if you look at boxing's history, most of the hardest hitting fighters WERE short for their division and sometimes weighed less than their division(like sam langford). starting (with the heavyweights): john l sullivan 5'10",bob fitzsimmons 5'11",sam langford 5'6.5",joe chonski 5'10",tom sharkey 5'8",jack dempsey 6',joe janette 5'10",tony galento 5'8",joe louis 6'1",bob baker 5'11",ezzard charles 5'11",archie moore 5'11",rocky marciano 5'9",sonny liston 6'.5",oscar bonavena 5'10",joe frazier 5'10",earnie shavers 6',mike tyson 5'10",mike weaver 6'1",bert cooper 5'11",Lionel Butler 5'11".most of these men fought at under 200lb or (in their prime) no more than 210lb! hardly giants.i feel today they would still be considered hard punchers.

let me include david tua 5'9"! my list starts at the early 1900's to the 1990's and the overwhelming number of heavyweights or men who FOUGHT  at heavy that were not, were on the short side,my list proves this.many fought at a light weight like fitzsimmons 165lb,langford 180lb, sullivan 190lb,  marciano 189lb,as well as ezzard charles,moore all around 190lb with guys like tyson,frazier,shavers,bonavena weighing no more than 216lb at their peak.bert cooper at 215lb galento at 220lb etc.all these men ranked from above average in power to the very hardest of bangers! i know as you go back in time the overall fighters tended to be shorter but even in sullivan's day there were plenty of contenders 6'2" and up, he once fought a man in Iowa that was 6'6"! and langford at under 5'7" fought men as tall as 6'6" too! (and won). dempsey MAY have been 6'.05",galento was 5'8"(I have a friend who met him and backs this up). _ http://mobile.onmilwaukee.com/sports/articles/hayesgalento.html  --  marciano latest biographer was shocked to hear from others to learn that he was only 5'9" _ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0UAzjlwkEo   tyson like joe frazier claimed 5'11.5" but both were 5'10" -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Tyson  ++  http://www.celebheights.com/s/Mike-Tyson-1161.html --  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5faztZArx8 __   boxrec  has a history of quoting incorrect heights so i go by other sources such as newspaper articles written at the time or from biographers.i have old boxing mags and everyone of them quotes bonavena at 5'10 just look at him next to ali! much shorter. shavers' fist was 12" marciano's was 11.5" (and like tyson and tua had short arms)not huge like liston's at 14"! despite how tall and heavy some of today's heavys are,they do not hit harder than the smaller bangers of the past.if they did,there would be nothing but 1 and 2 round knockouts,such is not the case.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

frank
This post was updated on .
hello Entaowed,i am responding to your belief that rocky at 5'9" and 189 could not be as power as the giants today,correct? i was just trying to prove that in history,using the biggest division there is,that the shorter and many times lighter ones were the most powerful punchers.i would hardly call my long list (22 men) "cherry picked"! i simply highlighted the greatest punchers of their respective day.i left out the tall ones like foreman and lyle,but that was to prove my point that the majority were shorter and lighter.to be fair over 6'2" and 215lb i can cite foreman,lyle,bonecrusher smith,frank bruno,the klitschkos,maybe lewis,cleveland williams,razor ruddock all good to great punchers but,in my opinion,not more devastating than the smaller men.i feel tyson at 5'10" and 216lb hit at least as hard as the big men tua at 5'9" though he was usually 235lb, as well.  remember ali said shavers at 6' 210lb hit him harder than anyone and he fought williams 6'4" lyle and foreman 6'3" and 6'4".joe louis who fought giants like abe simon and buddy bear claimed rocky at 5'9" 185lb hit harder than them all.langford at 5'6'5" and 180lb was said by many heavys(such as top contender harry wills (6'4" 230lb) to hit harder than anyone he fought.cooper, 5'11" 215lb, was one of the very few men to knock down iron jawed holyfield and i think made it to the top on strength and punch alone,quite a feat for a small man.tua also made it to a title shot,overweight and very short, on a iron chin and left hook alone.happy new year!

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

Rocky 5' 9"?  Well MAYBE, I wonder what 48-0 has to say?
The user's name is 49-0, a tribute to Rocky's record.

Rocky was 5'9. Have you heard the interview I did with John Cameron who wrote a great book on Rocky several years ago? He worked with Rocky's family and others close to him to get his information and it was confirmed by many that he was 5'9. We also discussed The Rock's legendary power. Here is a link to the interview.

I also count Rocky as one of the hardest punchers ever because he was more effective than some others. For example it's possible that Razor Ruddock hit harder than Rocky. But Razor could hit so hard you'd go numb. He also didn't get the big knockout blow he needed in emergency situations but Rocky always did.

In terms of brute strength you can't compare Rocky to someone like Foreman, whose power could knock you across the ring. Rocky didn't have Foreman-esque strength, but when he caught you it was lights out. Because of the power he had for a small man and the effectiveness of it I gotta rank him high. Some guys (Ruddock, Tua, Galento, Morrison, Mercer, etc) may have hit harder but they were less effective.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power

49-0
Right. I've heard 5'9 as well.

Re: Rocky Marciano's Freakish Punching Power