Rocky Marciano's loss to Coley Wallace

There are so many myths about this fight that it's gotten ridiculous. This is definitely early in Rocky's career. I've never seen his hair this long. Regardless, Rocky would have destroyed him as a pro.

Re: Rocky Marciano's loss to Coley Wallace

Rosco
I heard Coley roughed up Rocky pretty good and knocked him out?

Re: Rocky Marciano's loss to Coley Wallace

Quite interesting reading...

http://boxrec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=60906

http://boxrec.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36391

Wished people talked more about Rocky's early fights before Pro.

I heard that Ted Lowry nearly KO Rocky in their first fight.

According to http://boxrec.com/media/index.php?title=Fight:19970

In his book Rocky Marciano: The Rock of His Times, Russell Sullivan wrote the following:
"It was Lowry, not Marciano, who was on the verge of scoring an early knockout, stinging Marciano with two terrific rights in the first round and then rocking him with two mighty uppercuts in the second. By the fourth, a staggered Marciano seemed just one punch away from being knocked out. But then, inexplicably, Lowry stopped fighting and retreated into a shell despite warnings from the referee to open up and a cascade of boos from the crowd.

To many, it appeared that Lowry was deliberately carrying Marciano. Was foul play afoot? Was Lowry getting paid to lose? Or was he merely tiring? Whatever the reason, a revived Marciano managed to rally in the late rounds even though many of his punches missed their mark or lacked force. On the basis of his aggressiveness and constant punching, Marciano won a unanimous decision from the judges. Most observers felt, however, that Lowry should have won."

Is this true or not?

Too bad there is no footage on their first fight...

Re: Rocky Marciano's loss to Coley Wallace

Shane
The Ted Lowry fight was real close. People to this day say Rocky should have lost that fight. But given the racial politics of that time I am not surprised that Rocky got the nod.

Re: Rocky Marciano's loss to Coley Wallace

Sounds like Ted had him. Part of me finds this suspicious, since he suddenly stopped fighting just when Rocky was on the verge of getting kayod.

BUT for the rest of his life Ted would tell anyone who listened that he should have won that fight but got screwed.

Win, lose or draw, he’s a part of history. He fought ROCKY MARCIANO.

Re: Rocky Marciano's loss to Coley Wallace

redfeng007
Fighting Ted is like Oscar to Joe Frazier

Two times Rocky still can't knock Ted out.