Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Will69
Great find AJ.  I would love to see all big fights have the fighters themselves comment on the fight separately.  (Although I can imagine the losers may not want to).  Joe's got a great chin for hanging in with Rocky for 8 rounds.  I liked Rocky's simple style of commenting.  I've always wondered what fighters are thinking when they go in the ring, round after round. (McCall vs Lewis II comes to mind)

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Will69 wrote
Great find AJ.  I would love to see all big fights have the fighters themselves comment on the fight separately.  (Although I can imagine the losers may not want to).  Joe's got a great chin for hanging in with Rocky for 8 rounds.  I liked Rocky's simple style of commenting.  I've always wondered what fighters are thinking when they go in the ring, round after round. (McCall vs Lewis II comes to mind)
Will you should DEFINITELY pick up copies of some autobiographies. I have the autobiographies of Louis, Frazier and Tyson. They each walk you through each round. It's like reliving the fight through their eyes. IMO Louis has the best book. It's as if he's talking right to you and feels the most personal. The ghostwriting on Frazier's book can occasionally take you out of the experience because you KNOW Joe wouldn't word certain things the way they were written. Tyson's book goes into great detail too, but most of the interesting parts happened outside of the ring.

Anyway, I have scanned plenty of excerpts from Louis and Frazier's books on here if you look around. I do like the tidbit here of Rocky saying that Joe asked if Rocky was a southpaw. These are minor stories you'd never know unless you met the fighters themselves.

Rocky had a damn good strategy against Louis. Even though Louis was old, he was still fundamentally sound and Rocky overcame those fundamentals. I still pick Louis to beat Rocky if he were prime, but it's nice to hear what Rocky was thinking.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Will69
I will definitely get some autobiographies -thanks!

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Rocky forced Joe Louis to fight his fight.

There is no retreat and someone is going to get KO eventually.

It will not be a safe decision result like Ezzard Charles fight.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Joe Kingman
Administrator
redfeng007 wrote
Rocky forced Joe Louis to fight his fight.

There is no retreat and someone is going to get KO eventually.

It will not be a safe decision result like Ezzard Charles fight.
The problem is that Joe was too old here. A younger Joe would have murdered Rocky as he tried to bull his way inside. Hell, this old version of Joe timed Rocky well and jabbed him with ease.

-Joe Kingman

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Joe Kingman wrote
A younger Joe would have murdered Rocky as he tried to bull his way inside. Hell, this old version of Joe timed Rocky well and jabbed him with ease.
Joe was best when you came to him. He was slick about it too. He'd walk to you, and then take a gentle step back as if he were unsure of himself. Then when you step in to attack he'd clobber you. Perfect.

But then again, Rocky FORCED you backward so Joe wouldn't have time to set himself or counter efficiently. It still would be a very uncomfortable fight for him while it lasts. But again, even the old Louis was able to keep Rocky off balance with the jab but his combinations and defenses were rotted by then. What's cool is that you could see flashes of the young Joe Louis but that's it...mere flashes.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Joe Louis (In Color) With Commentary by Marciano

Phantom Punch
Watching the rock struggling with this fading version of Joe Louis says it all, really. But Joe was popping him good in there. He would have knocked out a lesser fighter that night. But Rocky was just too young and strong, plus he had the style to give an old man like Joe plenty of problems.