Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

Friday The 13th...
Both at their peaks. How does it go?
You know what to do..

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

It depends on which Ray Mercer shows up. If it's the unrelenting Mercer that fought Bert Cooper and Lennox Lewis, then he may well stop Rocky. But if its the Mercer that fought Larry Holmes, then Rocky pounds him into submission.

On paper Ray should win. He's bigger, stronger, great jab and he had a solid chin. But this is Rocky Marciano here. He's full of surprises, always finds a way to win, and proved himself to be a clutch fighter in emergency situations. I lean towards Mercer but if Rocky wins it shouldn't be an upset.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

It depends on which Ray Mercer shows up.
That's all that needs to be said. Fighters that run hot and cold are hard to root for in fantasy fights. Marciano was consistent and never lost so I back him.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

Sivul
Ray could win by tko if he has his sh.it together

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

Urban Legend
Dangerous matchup for both. But I favor Rocky because he was everything Ray Mercer wanted to be. Ray had the better jab but I can't see him surviving 15 rounds with Rocky. Ray had a great chin so it would end by TKO.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

One thing's for sure. Rocky would show up to fight. He'd fight to win. And he wouldn't stop punching. Even in his best performance against Lewis, Mercer slowed often. In fact, he eased up a lot in the last two rounds and basically gave Lewis the win. If he'd fought more aggressive in those last rounds he would have won. It was those last two rounds that sealed the victory for Lewis in a real close fight.

Against Rocky, Mercer couldn't afford to have a single lazy round because Rocky would constantly be pressing and throwing. I don't think Mercer could keep up, but Rocky's chin was never tested by a prime 200+ pound banger like Mercer. There's a possibility he'd end up like Morrison...

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

redfeng007
Think can't blame Morrison's chin for that KO.

Morrison failed to hold Mercer, taking blow after blow  non-stop

Rocky most likely find a way to survive by holding Mercer.

His survival mode is better than Morrison.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

That's true. Rocky was durable and a clutch fighter in emergency situations. This fact, coupled with Ray's laziness, could enable Rocky to get a decision. (I don't see him stopping Mercer)

But again, Ray was a much bigger heavyweight than Rocky. This would be basically a cruiserweight going nose to nose against a real heavyweight with a hard punch and chin of stone. Rocky's chin was never put to this kind of test.

If Ray was 185 pounds then Rocky wins without doubt. But the size difference here may be too much, despite how tough Rocky was or how hard he hit.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

Entaowed
This is true Duggy.  Mercer could stop Rocky, who was an ATG, but never fought anything *like* a large, top slugger.  Mercer is also not going anywhere.  He never did, untl the very end when totally washed up, way older than Rocky ever fought.

Though yes, who knows if a great Mercer would show up.
Against Lewis, watching those final rounds, I think his conditioning failed him, not necessarily his effort.
Rocky could get blasted out against that Mercer, or many other Mercer's could lose a decision against Rocky.
Given day before weigh-ins, Rocky would be at most the size of a modern day LHW, with a short reach.

The best fighters he beat...Well how declined they are is often exaggerated.
But still they were excellent boxer-types of a roughly similar size.

Without another incredible gift like, say, the speed & reflexes of a prime Roy Jones Jr...
NO fighter with Rocky's physical characteristics could be expected to beat a world class modern HW with an iron chin.

It could happen, but the odds are against him.
However tough, relentless & well trained he is.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

Given day before weigh-ins, Rocky would be at most the size of a modern day LHW, with a short reach.
Yeah. Light heavyweight is what I meant to say. Rocky wasn't big enough to be a cruiserweight, although I imagine it'd be easy for him to bulk up to being one.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

Will69
For these fantasy fights, we usually talk about the best version of each.  I think Mercer wins because he's a damn strong and relentless fighter with a great chin, and can put Rocky to sleep quite easily.  Pound for pound, Rocky is better, but Ray has too many assets.  The Ray that went against Lewis would have put 186lbs pound Rocky on the canvas many times.  However, the one thing that nobody mentioned is that Rocky would have been an awkward fighter for Ray (and almost anybody) because Rocky's attack would mostly come from below.  How many fighters are trained and experienced for that?

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

I forgot I started this thread back in the day. Thanks for the revival.

Duggerman wrote

If Ray was 185 pounds then Rocky wins without doubt. But the size difference here may be too much, despite how tough Rocky was or how hard he hit.
If only! This would be a real war if both men were the same size. Rocky would win in that scenario but it would be real competitive depending on how Mercer reacts that night.

But as far as reality goes, I think Ray would land one hard punch too many.

Re: Rocky Marciano v. Ray Mercer

Bugs
Even in his best performance against Lewis, Mercer slowed often.
That tells the story right there. Rocky damn sure wouldn't slow. When Ray inevitably takes an "off" round for a breather, Rocky would still be throwing punches non-stop. And eventually all Ray would be able to do is fight defensively and that's not really his thing.

It'd be a repeat of the Archie Moore fight, but even Archie was a skilled defensive counterpuncher and still got abolished by Rocky's sledgehammers.
Eh....What's Up, Doc?