Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Zombies Ate Me
How does this go? I see it playing out like Marciano-Walcott 1 only Chris had a much better chin than Walcott did and picks up an easy decision as he did against David Tua.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

There's only one way to knock out Chris Byrd and that's to put punches together. Chris, like Muhammad Ali, can shake off one big blow and recover fast. But the few times he was stopped, it was by combinations. Ike Ibeabuchi and Wladimir Klitschko both stopped Chris with thudding combinations.

When David Tua fought Chris, all he did was look to end the night with one big left hook and Chris had the chin to take it. Had Tua followed up with combinations he would have got the duke. One hard blow would never stop Chris Byrd.

I think Chris would have an easy time with Rocky early on. But once Rocky steps up the pace he'd catch him. Rocky threw such a high volume of punches that he'd stop Chris eventually. Plus, if you're comparing this to the fight with Tua, Rocky did something Tua didn't do and that's cut the ring.

It'd be a great fight but with Rocky's ring cutting abilities and high volume of punches I think he clips the Byrd's wings and stops him late.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Rosco
I back the Byrdman here because he's never getting crushed by one punch the way Walcott did. You could debate who was the better escape artist between Walcott and Byrd but Byrd was tougher and proved his grit against much harder punchers than Rocky. Rocky would put up a better fight than Tua did tho.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Evolution
Chris was overconfident at heavyweight and it cost him eventually. I love Chris and he's a good guy. But wins over an underachieving Tua, old Holyfield and injured Vitali Klitschko don't make you a great heavyweight.

Was he one of the best heavyweight champions of all time? No. Was he one of the best cruiserweights of all time? Possibly. Not the best but a damn good boxer.

Whenever Chris fought a great heavyweight in his prime he always lost. Rocky would put pressure on Chris and land bombs repeatedly. Rocky by TKO in one of the great fights.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Phantom Punch
This is why I like boxing. Anything can happen. Chris would have Rocky bleeding because of his flicking jab and would control things easy. This ain't nothing against Rocky. Chris was super smooth and slick and hard to cut off or sidetrack.

Chris should win easy over Rocky but I still have slight reservations because Rocky always had that "it" factor. You just never know. Rocky might suddenly strike Chris out with a series of bombs. I don't like the Tua comparisons here because Rocky was more durable and a much smarter swarmer.

If Rocky could knock out three Hall of Famers (Walcott, Charles, Moore) all of whom resembled Bryd a little in style (especially Walcott) then he has a chance of winning here.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Left Hook From Hell...
Phantom Punch wrote
 I don't like the Tua comparisons here because Rocky was more durable and a much smarter swarmer.
How was Rocky "smarter" than Tua? To me they're similar because they both had scary fights when they were losing but used their power to suddenly get a late knockout.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

How was Rocky "smarter" than Tua? To me they're similar because they both had scary fights when they were losing but used their power to suddenly get a late knockout.
With fighters like Marciano, Frazier, Duran, Chavez - fighters who box in-close, it's sometimes tough to point out their intelligence. But there is a method to their madness. The way they cut off the ring and room, slip the jab, and have a defense despite exchanging nonstop.

You have to watch closely what they do, because they're out there to destroy you and not to showcase their intelligence visibly. Sugar Ray Leonard pulled off some sort of optic illusion versus Marvin Hagler... of course you'll never see a Rocky Marciano do that.

Quite frankly I would argue that you have a good basic boxing knowledge if you see the intelligence of fighters like that. What fighters like that do is shift their weight from one foot to another and you just have to see that.

With boxers who move / jab / stay outside is seems more logical that they're smart.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Take a look at this, very good clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZmM9dxGvxs

or here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2BEE8Ce70

Rocky beat that guy. If he wasn't smart, he couldn't have beaten him.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Good posts, Apollo. @Left Hook From Hell. Here is an example of Rocky's intelligence. Watch how he set up Walcott by feinting a "jab" then blasting Walcott with the right hand. Rocky was a clutch fighter and knew how to get the punch to the target in emergency situations. Tua got lucky sometimes by landing power left hooks late in the fight. And, in his biggest fights against Lewis and Byrd, he didn't get lucky. Marciano set up his finishes while Tua lucked out because of his power.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Urban Legend
^^Yep. Rocky might also use the same strategy he used against Archie Moore which was to throw punch after punch after punch leaving Chris with no time or room to counter him. There'd be nothign for him to do but take the punishment.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Left Hook From Hell...
Some real boxing strategists in here. Ya'll answered my question and then some. So ALL of Tua's sudden late kayos were the result of dumb luck?

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

This stuff is interesting. Here's a GIF from a current discussion from another forum. It's the man of the hour Gennady Golovkin:

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/2363482/golovkin_khomitsky_angles.0.gif

Golovkin does severel things here. You can argue it's offensive: He's trying to get the opponent to step closer, and when he doesn't, he turnes a different angle and steppes closer himself.

You can also argue it's defensive: He's using upper body movements to to find out how Khomitsky responds to different threats by suggesting them with his body, and getting a look at what targets are open even while standing right in front of Khomitsky.

In each case it's smart and scientific, it's footwork and movement, so I don't necessarily agree that Rocky Marciano wasn't scientific because he made use of those tactics too.

When a fighter stops doing it, you can also argue that he's on the decline.

This is crucial when you break down the style of a fighter, because fighters use the same tactics every time they step in the ring.

Yeah. His power sometimes bailed him out when the opponent got careless or tired in the latter rounds. It was nothing David set up purposely. In his biggest fights he failed to land the big knockout blow(s) when he absolutely needed to. Rocky always accomplished this. Lou Duva and Kevin Barry should have strapped David to a chair and forced him to sit through a Rocky Marciano fight marathon. Hopefully he would have learned something!

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

It'd be a great fight but with Rocky's ring cutting abilities and high volume of punches I think he clips the Byrd's wings and stops him late.
David's body punches had Chris slowing in the last rounds. Rocky would have thrown many more body blows and if they fought in Rocky's era (15 rounds) then Rocky's chances go up even higher. I think you guys are right though. Rocky was clever. He either sets up Chris similar to how he feinted out Walcott or just batters the unholy sh*t out of the man all night long. Or maybe he does both. Either way, Chris was smooth but Rocky and Joe Frazier were the ultimate "catch and kill" fighters. No matter how much you run, dance and shake your ass, they will catch you and give you that work.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

49-0 wrote
 No matter how much you run, dance and shake your ass, they will catch you and give you that work.
lol! True, actually.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

J.C.
Rosco wrote
I back the Byrdman here because he's never getting crushed by one punch the way Walcott did. You could debate who was the better escape artist between Walcott and Byrd but Byrd was tougher and proved his grit against much harder punchers than Rocky. Rocky would put up a better fight than Tua did tho.
Oh no. If you thought Ibeabuchi and Klitschko put Chris through his paces, you can't imagine him surviving a tough machine like Marciano. Rocky would beat the hell outta the dude once he warms up into the fight.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

It depends how many rounds in the fight.

10 rounds or less, Chris Byrd may outpoint Rocky before he get caught.

Although the chance is slim and Chris Byrd can't make a mistake.

Chris Byrd did outpoint David Tua till the 12th round.

Rocky nearly lost 2 of his 10 round fights by decision.

He can get outpoint if he failed to KO.

15 rounds fight, Chris Byrd most likely will get TKO.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

redfeng007 wrote
It depends how many rounds in the fight.

10 rounds or less, Chris Byrd may outpoint Rocky before he get caught.

Although the chance is slim and Chris Byrd can't make a mistake.

Chris Byrd did outpoint David Tua till the 12th round.

Rocky nearly lost 2 of his 10 round fights by decision.

He can get outpoint if he failed to KO.

15 rounds fight, Chris Byrd most likely will get TKO.
It's not really fair to compare Tua to Marciano.

Tua LET Byrd out-decision him like that. Tua did nothing but hope to land a left hook. He didn't throw many punches. Plus, he froze in his tracks when Byrd went to the body. Tua absolutely hated getting hit in the body and always froze in his tracks when it happened to him.

Tua didn't do much in the fight and although Bryd's jabs and straights didn't hurt, they racked up points. Tua wasn't returning anything. Bryd was a great elusive fighter, but Tua made him look even better by not doing anything.

Rocky Marciano knew how to cut the ring. He would throw punches - many of them - and corner Bryd in corners and against the ropes. Tua allowed Byrd to spin away from him when he was cornered - Marciano would never allow that. Many of Rocky's knockouts happened when a guy was against the ropes. That was by design; Rocky trapped them there and threw his bombs and didn't let them escape.

I'm not saying that it would be an easy fight for Rocky. It would not be. Chris was just as tricky as Walcott. But Rocky would aggressively cut the ring and throw punches relentlessly, something Tua just did not do. I think Rocky would knock out Bryd before round 10.

Bryd could take a punch. But the few times he was knocked out, it came from combinations. So when Rocky lands his left uppercut-right haymaker combo, or his double left hook, it's over for Bryd.

I do see where you're coming from, though. I just don't agree with using Tua as a reference.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

Alexander
Chris was cocky.
His overconfidence would allow Rocky to surprise him.

Re: Rocky Marciano versus Chris Byrd

It's a pick-em fight. But Rocky is more dangerous than Tua because he threw a lot of punches and cut the ring a lot better. Eventually Chris would get cornered and take some punishment. I think Joe Frazier would chase Byrd down and knock him out too. You can only run so much against guys that cut the ring well.
12