SHANNON BRIGGS: BOXING NEEDS TO FRESHEN UP ITS CORE

SHANNON BRIGGS: BOXING NEEDS TO FRESHEN UP ITS CORE

KB50MJ
HAZY OUTLOOK: Briggs wants his sport to smarten up its act before it's too late
THINK back to when we had guys like Mike Tyson knocking everyone out, to when Evander Holyfield was always in exciting fights. We just don’t have that now. Vitali Klitschko should have obliterated Tomasz Adamek on Saturday night, he should have knocked him out cold. I was very upset watching that, it almost makes you cringe. The Klitschkos don’t make for exciting fights, they’re just guys who use that European style and the sport needs excitement. The heavyweight champion should provide that excitement.

They’re winners, please don’t get me wrong and think I’m being hostile for the sake of it, but it’s hard to deny they’re boring to watch. We need something new, something exciting, but it’s hard to see where we’re going to get that from.

I love boxing but I have lost all respect for the people behind the scenes, the commentators, the managers and the promoters. They’re nothing more than people who are tearing boxing down when we need people to build it up.

I don’t think the boxing economy is attractive to young African-Americans who could potentially become boxers because there is no structure. Look at the National Football League, Major League Baseball, and the National Hockey League. They all have one body, they have one commission, you know where you stand. Now compare that to boxing: There’s seven or eight so-called governing bodies, some of those have more than one type of ‘world’ champion – like the WBA with their super, regular, real champions or whatever. There’s a million divisions where after every three pounds you’ve got a new weight class. It makes a mockery of the sport.

Something has to be done at its core for things to change. Do we abolish the sport and start again? It needs one commission to take control. Not everybody should automatically be allowed to become a fighter, there needs to be B and C leagues. We can’t just pay people to get beat up. Let the fighters prove themselves at a lower level – then they can be a professional fighter.

Everyone shouldn’t be allowed to be a promoter or a manager. You just can’t walk out of prison, for example, and say you want to be involved in the NBA. No; there’s things that you have to do, there’s qualifications that you need. There are the right steps you have to take.

Again, let’s compare that to boxing: You can have somebody come out of jail after serving 20 years for rape or murder, walk up to a commission in America, and become a promoter or a manager. These are things that shouldn’t happen.

It’s part of the reason why I’m coming back, with my trainer and my brother Elliot Aiken, with my promoter and manager Garry Jonas. Garry has already made his billions, he loves the sport, he respects the fighters for what they do. We want to shake this thing up for real.

Think about it. There is currently no structure, there is nothing to stop all the atrocious things from happening. Parents will not look at boxing and think it is a good option for their kids. And why should they? They will hear bad things about criminals acting as promoters and managers. They hear this stuff about these authority figures and why would a parent want their kids involved in boxing?

People have always made money off the fighters. It’s like the dog fighting business. The fighters are treated like animals. I’ve heard it said many times that fighters come and go but managers and promoters stay the same, and as long as that happens you are always going to have the mistreatment of fighters. 98 per cent of fighters end up broke and with health problems.

There should be Retirement Unions, there should be health insurance, it’s like the Wild Wild West at the moment. I was stuck in Germany, left for dead, with a bill for my healthcare. Why should I cover that? I’ve just put my life on the line in the ring. Nobody cares about the fighters, we’re just a means to an end, and that has to change.

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=2557

Re: SHANNON BRIGGS: BOXING NEEDS TO FRESHEN UP ITS CORE

Thanks for this, KB50MJ. I recently deactivated my facebook account, but I was friends with Shannon Briggs, who is very ghetto at times but brutally honest about things. Mike Tyson ducked a lot of prime fighters when he was released from prison, and Shannon Briggs was among them. Shannon told me that Tyson signed to fight him twice but backed out. I should probably start a thread on the conversations we had.

Anyway, Briggs is right. He was an exciting fighter himself back in the day. He was trained by Teddy Atlas and came from Brownsville NY, the same hometown as Riddick Bowe and Mike Tyson. Shannon Briggs tried to fight like a 6'4 Mike Tyson; he was aggressive and knocked you out early. But he was sloppy in technique and always open to counters, which is how Lennox Lewis and Darroll Wilson knocked him out.

OK, that was random. lol. I agree with all of Shannon's points. Love to hear his input on things.

Re: SHANNON BRIGGS: BOXING NEEDS TO FRESHEN UP ITS CORE

KB50MJ
Yea you should make a thread on it. I'd like to read it. lol

But yea, when I first got into boxing I was so confused on who was champ and where I can find out info on who's on top, etc. Its so disorganized compared to other sports. There should only be 1 body with just 3 belts.

Its a very shady business

Re: SHANNON BRIGGS: BOXING NEEDS TO FRESHEN UP ITS CORE

I think there should be one body, one champion, and one belt. In those days, everyone knew who the champion was, whether they liked him or not.

Re: SHANNON BRIGGS: BOXING NEEDS TO FRESHEN UP ITS CORE

Shane
It's a good thing Mike Tyson did pull out of the negotiations for a Shannon Briggs bout. Shannon would have been crushed, even by that version of Mike Tyson.