Shavers destroying Ken Norton

A brief one-sided scrap. I wonder what Norton’s strategy was? All he did was retreat to the ropes and take a battering. He doesn’t have the chin and resistance of an Ali to pull off a rope-a-dope, which Cossell observed he was attempting.

Too bad Ken didn’t have a better chin. Honestly with his skill and toughness he should have easily been able to outbox Shavers with no problem. But he evidently lacked the confidence to do so—he provided no offense whatsoever.

And, as I noted years ago, the Armadillo defense is a flawed one. Although it looks awkward, you have to quickly drop your entire guard just to launch a single punch. You also can’t protect both the body and head at once. This is partially what worked against Archie Moore when he fought Marciano— Rocky kept pitching punches nonstop from all directions and Archie’s defense always left him open somewhere and he couldn’t really attack back.

Anyway, another thrilling Shavers kayo for his knockout reel.

https://youtu.be/78-SkEpLDQM

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

Will69
True that.  Ken should have outboxed Shavers.  The armadillo defense is a bit odd to me.  I don't know who that technique works well for.  Maybe Foreman can pull it off, but mostly because he's so damn powerful, he'd blast most people away before they could do much damage.

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

Urban Legend
Boxing is a mental game. Ken knew of Earnie’s hard hitting reputation and was already beaten before the fight. Plus he had already been humiliated and knocked out viciously by Foreman and Cooney. He had gotten accustomed to being kayod by the massive sluggers.

For example Ken should easily outmaneuver a guy like Max Baer. Max is an easy fight for him stylistically. But given Max’s reputation for killing a man, Ken might fold under pressure as he did here, and be afraid to open up offensively.

https://youtu.be/78-SkEpLDQM
Norton tried to trade with Shavers and that’s a no win strategy. He got smoked. Smokin Joe Frazier is my favorite boxer, but I think the same result would happen if he fought Shavers. Joe has to get on the inside to be effective and he’ll meet Shavers powerful hooks and uppercuts.

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

Shane
No disrespect bud but you must be talking about a different fight. Ken did NOT try to trade with Shavers. He threw two jabs and immediately retreated to the ropes and tried to observe Shavers’ bombs.

Had Ken attempted to go toe to toe with Shavers he would have been destroyed even sooner. Did you actually watch the fight?

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

GatorPurify
Shane wrote

I sure did. He stood on the ropes or in close range with Shavers the whole fight. He didn’t try to get any distance in between them. Had he tried to stick and move he might have had a better chance.

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

Shane
Staying on the ropes isn’t trading though. TRADING is standing toe to toe throwing blows. Using your logic you’re saying Ali was “trading” with Foreman in Zaire when he laid on the ropes the way Ken did here. No disrespect but that just ain’t the case, bud.

Also Ken wasn’t the stick and move type. He was a counter puncher. He didn’t jab and run..he just played on your mistakes the way Jack Johnson did.

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

Left Hook From Hell...
I agree with Shane. Just because Ken didn’t create more distance doesn’t mean he was trading punches with Shavers.

Ken didn’t have the legs of a ballerina anyway. He was never a fleeting Ali or Tunney type of fighter, so why would he suddenly try that against Shavers?

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

Shane wrote
Did you actually watch the fight?
“GatorPurify” wrote
I sure did.

Nigga no you didn’t!! 😂😂 Ken did not stand there trading blows with Shavers.

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

GatorPurify
Malik Wright wrote
Shane wrote
Did you actually watch the fight?
“GatorPurify” wrote
I sure did.

Nigga no you didn’t!! 😂😂 Ken did not stand there trading blows with Shavers.
Fine I concede. I think had Norton tried to get more distance he would of had a better chance.

Re: Shavers destroying Ken Norton

GatorPurify wrote
Fine I concede. I think had Norton tried to get more distance he would of had a better chance.
Norton didn't even try. Shavers was a predictable puncher...he walks you down with a jab then tries to knock your head off with the overhand right. A superb counter-puncher like Norton should have known what was coming, and he punched hard himself himself to hurt Shavers.

But instead of working to his strengths, Norton just retreated to the ropes right away and waited to get knocked out. He displayed no confidence that night.

Jerry Quarry was a counter-puncher and he KO'd Shavers in less than one round! Surely Norton could have done the same if he hadn't been intimidated.