Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

If you're a reporter, use twitter. You can tweet immediate links to your articles or interviews. I'm not really a twitter person, but I'm going to start using it a lot more. With all of these websites like facebook, twitter, etc, anyone in the world can view your work with a simple click.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Becky
Duggerman wrote
If you're a reporter, use twitter. You can tweet immediate links to your articles or interviews. I'm not really a twitter person, but I'm going to start using it a lot more. With all of these websites like facebook, twitter, etc, anyone in the world can view your work with a simple click.
Very true. A lot of journalists are doing it. Facebook is unprofessional to me in a sense because it's more of a social networking site, but there is a solid buisness side to facebook. Twitter can be used strictly to inform people of your recent work. I sent a request to follow you, AJ.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Jessica
I'm not on twitter. It seems to cause a lot of drama from what I've seen. I'd assume that twitter would cause a bigger stir than even facebook.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Yeah, but there are ways to use social outlets like facebook and twitter professionally.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Faith
Jessica wrote
It seems to cause a lot of drama from what I've seen.
Tell me about it. I don't want my kids involved in that mess.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Michelle
What about blogging? I've seen a lot of journalists doing that too. Is it worth it?

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Becky
Blogging is a good idea too.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Michelle
The thing about blogging is that anyone can do it. So I think it kinda loses its appeal.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

I was telling a friend on MaxJax about the benefits of blogging last year. You never know who will read your blog. Someone may be impressed with your writing style and point of view. If you post a blog, anyone in the world will be able to view it.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Becky
Sometimes news breaks on a blog. I think every journalist should have one. Blogging can be personal but there is a professional side to it as well. I would love to read Stephen Glass or Jayson Blair's blog if they wrote one!

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Jessica
Michelle wrote
The thing about blogging is that anyone can do it. So I think it kinda loses its appeal.
Thats what I thought. Everyone is blogging these days. It is funny how blogging became popular overnight. 10 years ago, I'd never heard of a blog. Whats so special about them?

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

BAD INTENTIONS
What are blogs specifically? I've heard so many websites referred to as blogs. Is there a difference between a journalist blog and other blogs?

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

BAD INTENTIONS wrote
What are blogs specifically? I've heard so many websites referred to as blogs. Is there a difference between a journalist blog and other blogs?
There are many kinds of blogs out there. There are personal blogs like the ones on myspace where you can rant about your baby's daddy.

Then there's professional blogs where you can post your work. Wordpress, Blogspot and the like. My website is not a blog, although I have a blog on it that I rarely use anymore.

But journalists have blogs and sometimes break news on them, and will write a more detailed version of the news story for their official publication. I personally don't believe in that but to each their own.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Here is an example of breaking news in a blog. Former Temptations member Damon Harris was only reported dead an hour or so before I published this. I've got details here not reported anywhere else. That's how you do it. Get there first and bring fresh knowledge with it. Other reporters will probably do standard obituaries.

http://ajdugger.weebly.com/1/post/2013/02/former-temptations-member-dies-rest-in-peace-damon-harris.html

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

 There are personal blogs like the ones on myspace where you can rant about your baby's daddy.
lol. I remember those. So many emo chicks and drama polluted myspace back in the day. I was gonna ask you how you got so many followers on twitter?

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Evan Fields wrote
 I was gonna ask you how you got so many followers on twitter?
I gotta be honest...it's the celebrity interviews. The recent interviews I did with Marvis Frazier and Tariq Nasheed pushed me to having over 6,000 followers on twitter. The same thing happened on facebook. My fan page now has 1,267 likes and my facebook page for my book, The Dealers: Then and Now has over 1,000 likes. Marvis and Tariq's audiences are now aware of me and have become my audience as well. The same thing happened to a lesser extent when I interviewed Pearl Jr.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Becky
Yes sir. Therein lies the power of social networking!

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Rachel
How can you tell if a person bought twitter followers or facebook likes? I know you're legit, AJ. lol. But I know some people buy their own publicity. How can you tell whose real and who isn't?

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Hey Rachel! Welcome back old friend!

If you look at someone's facebook fan page, you'll see something called "Talking about this." That is the number of people to interact with the page that week--commenting, sharing links, etc.

Now, if a person has 7,891 likes on their page but only 7 people are "Talking about it," then you know it's a hoax. If hundreds or thousands of people like your page then you'd have a lot more interaction than that.

As for twitter, it's a little more difficult because spam bots and fake accounts follow everybody anyway. Look at their followers and you should see more real followers than spam bots.

Re: Take Advantage Of Media Outlets

Hey Rachel! Welcome back old friend!

If you look at someone's facebook fan page, you'll see something called "Talking about this." That is the number of people to interact with the page that week--commenting, sharing links, etc.

Now, if a person has 7,891 likes on their page but only 7 people are "Talking about it," then you know it's a hoax. If hundreds or thousands of people like your page then you'd have a lot more interaction than that.

As for twitter, it's a little more difficult because spam bots and fake accounts follow everybody anyway. Look at their followers and you should see more real followers than spam bots.
Very informative post bud. I just liked both of your facebook fan pages. Good work.
12