That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

We all have seen fights where a fighter was clearly robbed by the judges or ref.  So blatantly, that you wonder how that ref or judge ever worked again.  I'm not talking about controversial fights where the winner is not clear cut, like Tua vs Ibeabuchi, but blatant mistakes and skulduggery by the ref or judges.  Are there any that stand out for you?  Here are a few that come to my mind:

Tyson vs Douglas.  The ref gave Douglas a 13 second count to get up which he he did and won the fight
Holyfield Olympic fight.  He knocked down his opponent at the bell (not after, in my opinion) and was disqualified!
Tyson vs Orlin Norris- unless that was a dive, similar situation- Tyson hit Norris at the sound of the bell, Norris went down claiming an injured knee.  Tyson should not have been deducted 2 points for hitting after the bell.  Not that it mattered, as Norris essentially quit on a "foul" anyway
Pacquiao vs Marquez I - One of the dumb judges miscounted the scoring of the first round, resulting in draw.  Pacquiao was clearly the winner
Pacquiao vs Bradley I- clear corruption of judges.  Pacquiao clearly won that fight.  At least Bradley was honest enough to say, after the fight, that he had to see the tapes to really judge what happened.
Holyfield vs Valuev - Both fighters were extremely lack luster, in my opinion.  This was more of a staring contest for 12 rounds.  I thought Holyfield deserved it more, but this one I'm not strongly against.
Foreman vs Briggs - I though George won this one reasonably confidently.  Again, on this one, I'm not too fussed.
Tyson vs Holyfield I and II - Ref Halpern and Mills Lane could have stopped the headbutting that was obviously going on in both fights, but didn't.  Also, Halpern stopped the first match way too soon.
Rahman vs Tua I -Rahman should have been given 5 minutes to recover after Tua hit him clearly after the bell.

Re: That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

Evan Fields
 To say "fired" in some of these cases may be a little extreme though these calls you mentioned were bad indeed. Too add to your list, Norton was robbed in the latter fights with Ali, and the ref was fishy in stopping Lewis in his first fight with McCall.

Re: That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

Phantom Punch
Add Lewis-Holyfield 1 to the list.

Re: That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

Will69
How can I forget the biggest scam in recent history? Have a look... How this happens and judges and athletic commissions get away with it is beyond me. And this happened in 2015!

Re: That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

Will69
I watched the Tyson-Douglas fight recently.  I thought Tyson got up somewhere in the count between 9 and 10.  I wouldn't have stopped the fight just then.  Although Tyson would likely not win after that, I would have given him another chance.   -Or at least ask him how he was when he got up and quickly test his senses, and then proceed if he was ok.

Re: That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

In watching the Lyle-Foreman clash recently, I noticed that the ref let George pound away on Lyle for a long time and Lyle didn't even try to defend himself. He was out on his feet. You could hear people yelling "STOP IT!" but the ref just stood there and watched for what felt like an eternity until Lyle finally dropped.

https://youtu.be/gLXt7nLUgDU

Re: That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

Will69
Giuseppe Quartarone.  This clown actually prevented the two fighters from getting close to one another in the Joshua vs Parker bout.  I don't think this would have changed the result, but it certainly helped make this championship fight another snore-fest for many rounds.  And funnily enough, at the start, Quartarone was heralded for how experienced he was!

Re: That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

Will69 wrote
Giuseppe Quartarone.  This clown actually prevented the two fighters from getting close to one another in the Joshua vs Parker bout.  I don't think this would have changed the result, but it certainly helped make this championship fight another snore-fest for many rounds.  And funnily enough, at the start, Quartarone was heralded for how experienced he was!
Man. I still haven't watched that one.

Re: That Ref or Judge should have been fired!

Urban Legend
Floyd Patterson was robbed twice against Jerry Quarry. The first fight was a draw which was dubious enough but the rematch was a real crock of s.hit! That decision was bull and everyone knew it. The judges were pulling for “their man” and wanted Quarry to advance and get a title shot.

https://youtu.be/Y8_UXSzITFM

By the way I am Jewish so don’t accuse me of race baiting.