The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

How does it go? I pick Louis to knock them both out, although it would be a really tough fight and hard for him to get inside their reach to do so. But because of his speed, crushing power and accuracy I think he would get them eventually. Vitali would probably be the harder mountain to climb because his chin is better than Wladimir's.

Thoughts?

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

Shogun of Harlem
Both Klitschko's would likely be journeymen in Louis's era. Fringe contenders at best.

Joe Louis: 4-0 with a 100% KO ratio against 250+ lb. opponents

Vitali would be turned into a big punching bag by Louis, like Louis did with every other 250+ lb'er he faced. People really have to look close to pinpoint what Joe Louis was about though. We all know about him as a puncher, but most new fans don't see the how well he uses his footwork, his underrated defens, how he reads his opponents movements etc. I think Louis had the package to keep tagging Klitschko while Vitali tries to bounce around him with active jabs and straight punches. It's a matter of who is broken down first. I'd favor Louis with a late TKO win on both K-bros although Vitali would stand up to the punishment a bit longer.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

Brooklyn's Finest
Shogun of Harlem wrote
Both Klitschko's would likely be journeymen in Louis's era. Fringe contenders at best.

Joe Louis: 4-0 with a 100% KO ratio against 250+ lb. opponents

Vitali would be turned into a big punching bag by Louis, like Louis did with every other 250+ lb'er he faced. People really have to look close to pinpoint what Joe Louis was about though. We all know about him as a puncher, but most new fans don't see the how well he uses his footwork, his underrated defens, how he reads his opponents movements etc. I think Louis had the package to keep tagging Klitschko while Vitali tries to bounce around him with active jabs and straight punches. It's a matter of who is broken down first. I'd favor Louis with a late TKO win on both K-bros although Vitali would stand up to the punishment a bit longer.
Joe would be too small for either Klitschko. They're bigger and miles better than Buddy Baer and Primo Carnera. Joe wouldn't be able to bully them and get close so easy to land his dynamite. There is a chance Joe would knock out Wladimir but only if Wlad makes a mistake. Likely Joe gets knocked out by both Klitschkos. Their jabs would be hard to get past and the straight rights would put him out for sure.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

BAD INTENTIONS
Brooklyn's Finest wrote
Shogun of Harlem wrote
[...]

Yeah....the Klitschkos are the perfect example of today's modern super heavyweight...they're not just big but they're skilled and much more talented than the big clumsy giant oafs Louis and Dempsey feasted on.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

KB50MJ
As much as I want to say Louis, I'd have to go with the K-Bros. The size and skill difference is just too massive. Louis was 195-200 lbs. I mean anything is possible. Man I would love to see a fighter like Louis or Dempsey in today's era of heavyweights. It would finally show us if weight really did make a difference in these cases.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

KB50MJ wrote
As much as I want to say Louis, I'd have to go with the K-Bros. The size and skill difference is just too massive. Louis was 195-200 lbs. I mean anything is possible. Man I would love to see a fighter like Louis or Dempsey in today's era of heavyweights. It would finally show us if weight really did make a difference in these cases.
If you feel Louis was too small, I bet you'd pick the K-brothers to DESTROY Tyson then.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

I think it’s obvious my bias towards Louis in my previous threads but I truly believe Joe would beat both Klitschkos, he is my greatest HW & much like Foreman, Ali or Tyson size would not determine the outcome as I see the aforementioned amongst others also beating them. Being big is their obvious advantages plus their slightly underrated placing in the pantheon of HW HISTORY? But as I have said before Joe had it all, & as said by others Vitali would get further than Vlad, with a probable points defeat & a likely KO a la Corrie Sanders for Vlad imo

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

KB50MJ
Well I mean it all depends. Tyson weighs 20lbs more than Louis. When I mean small I mean weight wise. But then again if you're fast enough you can still pull it off.

I mean look at the size difference between Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito. Manny was a lot smaller but he busted the dude up for 12 rounds: http://youtu.be/jfbbUhIH1a4

So size may not mean everything. So now that I think of it, Louis could probably pull it off because of his speed advantage. It's one of those things we just couldn't know unless we see it happen.

So size may not mean everything. So now that I think of it, Louis could probably pull it off because of his speed advantage. It's one of those things we just couldn't know unless we see it happen.
Louis was taller than Tyson and had longer reach which would work in his favor more against the Klitschkos. Louis and Tyson were also equal in hand speed, power and accuracy. Honestly I would pick them both to beat the Klitschkos but Louis has the better chance. He would be setting them up for the end from the opening bell. He was patient but he'd get them both. He was too good, and knocked out plenty of men their size.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

xGhostRiderx
Could go either way, either of the brothers could KO Joe (possibly early), but he could do the same to Wlad and he has the technical skill to decision Vitali.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

KB50MJ wrote
As much as I want to say Louis, I'd have to go with the K-Bros. The size and skill difference is just too massive. Louis was 195-200 lbs. I mean anything is possible. Man I would love to see a fighter like Louis or Dempsey in today's era of heavyweights. It would finally show us if weight really did make a difference in these cases.
Size means nothing. Joe Louis was that good. Here, I'll show you what happens when Joe Louis fights guys the size of the Klitschkos.

Joe Louis v. Primo Carnera (KO 6)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oQsLrUxDPA

Joe Louis v. Buddy Baer (KO 1)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnN31a3hr7U

I'm being dead serious. Joe Louis was the greatest heavyweight champion of all time. There's no situation he couldn't handle. There is no size or style he didn't conquer. You notice how the Klitschkos keep their left hand low? You notice how predictable they are with the jab/straight right combinations? Joe Louis would tear them both apart limb from limb. He'd be a nightmare for them. And their size works against them because they're nothing but huge targets and Joe had really quick hands and dynamite power.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

KB50MJ
Man Primo Carnera looked just like Wald with his style, the way he holds his guard and the way he backs up and pushes his opponent off. Never saw these fights though, very interesting stuff. My mind is actually changing on the size thing.

I guess when you're fast and skilled enough it doesn't matter how big you are. Speed Kills for sure.

[...]

Good points. And Joe could have KO'd Primo in the first round. He had to carry most of his white opponents.

I'm going to quote myself from another thread.

George Jefferson wrote
Mike Tyson, Joe Frazier, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis would all beat the Klitschkos on their best nights. They each worked the body and knew how to set up impressive finishes.

Vitali's chin is overrated. Who hit him the hardest? Old fat unconditioned Lewis? Vitali had to hold on for dear life to keep from going down from Lewis' signature uppercut.

The Klitschkos are good for this era because its so weak and they're so big. But against the head to head monsters of the past? Iron Mike? 1971 FOTC Joe Frazier? Prime Joe Louis? The ferocious peak Jack Dempsey of 1919? Rocky Marciano? I can't see any of them losing to the Klitschkos. Sorry.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

Sivul
George Jefferson wrote
Mike Tyson, Joe Frazier, Jack Dempsey, Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis would all beat the Klitschkos on their best nights. They each worked the body and knew how to set up impressive finishes.

Vitali's chin is overrated. Who hit him the hardest? Old fat unconditioned Lewis? Vitali had to hold on for dear life to keep from going down from Lewis' signature uppercut.

The Klitschkos are good for this era because its so weak and they're so big. But against the head to head monsters of the past? Iron Mike? 1971 FOTC Joe Frazier? Prime Joe Louis? The ferocious peak Jack Dempsey of 1919? Rocky Marciano? I can't see any of them losing to the Klitschkos. Sorry.
The K-Brothers wouldn't be an easy fight for any of those gentlemen but they shouldn't be the favorite. Netheir brother fought an aggressive animal like Joe Frazier in 1971. Dude was a beast and would be a nightmare for anyone.

Joe Louis had the jab, quickness of hand, combinations, countering and dynamite to beat the Klitschkos and the timing to master it all. They might hurt Louis once or twice and put him on the mat but when he puts them on the mat, they ain't gettin up.

Wlad wears his trunks high which would give Louis a disadvantage for his body shots however. But anyway the Brown Bomber would bomb the Klitschkos.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

Most posters in this thread are way too biased. I believe the size difference between Ali and Liston played a factor in the outcome of their fights. Ali's style and physical ability was crucial, but his reach and long legs made it easier for him to weave away from punches and to jab Liston. The rumor is also that Foreman gave Liston hell in sparring - do you think this only due to the age difference? George was bigger.

Klitschko is MUCH bigger than Joe Louis and MUCH better than Max Baer - what a terrible comparison.
David Haye had fast hands and dynamite in his hands. And yes, I'm aware David never was textbook boxer like Joe Louis. But who in Joe's era popped a jab like Wladimir Klitschko?

Joe was devastating when you stood in his punching range. I believe he would find himself at the end of Wladimir's jab and would have to find a way to get inside. Joe didn't move his head like Mike Tyson and he didn't come from underneath like Rocky Marciano. If Joe went to attack, he would find out that Wladimir is a better athlete with quicker feet than Max Baer.

By the way: I'm not picking a winner here.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

No one compared the Klitschkos to Max Baer. They compared him to Buddy Baer who was around 6'7. And judging from the clips posted here Primo Carnera popped a jab just like Wlad.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

I meant Buddy Bear. He doesn't even look like a bad version of Wladimir Klitschko or Vitali Klitschko.

As far as Primo Carnera goes - He doesn't look to me as if he's fighting at the same pace as Wladimir Klitschko, but IF he is, please tell me what exactly Joe's ability is: How is he able to avoid any damage? His footspeed was never that impessive, he had a blast when his opponent stood in his punching range. I believe he'd have a much harder time against Wladimir if he fought the same fight he fought against Carnera.

Carnera didn't move as well, was stiff, much less power and speed than Wladimir. I'd like Evolution to chime in his thoughts in here.

@ Entaowed - I didn't say Ali had longer reach than Liston. I said the reach that he had along with his long legs played a factor in that fight. If was Ali was 3 inches shorter, his reach would be shorter as well.

Foreman also said that Liston didn't back down in sparring despite the size advantage he had on Liston. Sounds to me like he had the upper hand even though Foreman is not saying it directly.

By the way: I always wondered that he meant by "Sonny was the only man who stood up to me" - Ali, Lyle, Young anywhere? And even Joe Frazier wanted to continue after every knockdown.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

Phantom Punch
If Joe can somehow weave past the sneaky straight right of the Klitschkos then he'd get inside and do some real damage. I pick Louis to win but honestly there is a chance he gets knocked out first because getting close to either brother would be dangerous. I still pick Louis to win but I wouldn't bet my house on it. Primo Carnera, Buddy Baer, Abe Simon and the other giants Louis fought didn't have the technical and defensive skills of a Klitschko.

Re: The Klitschkos versus Joe Louis

The Klitschkos wouldn't know what hit them. But these are still fights I would like to see. I'd also like to see the Klitsckos fight Sonny Liston.
12