The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Friday The 13th...
Say what you will about the chin of Lennox Lewis, but I think this punch may have knocked out almost anybody. Who do you think would survive or shake off this punch? Holmes? Ali? State your case.

via GIPHY

Rate this punch

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Brooklyn's Finest
The real question is how the hell did Lennox get hit by such a telegraphed punch? You see the windup and the pitch coming from a mile away. Lennox saw Hasim putting his whole body into a punch that was on the way but got hit anyway.

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Will69
Brooklyn's Finest wrote
The real question is how the hell did Lennox get hit by such a telegraphed punch? You see the windup and the pitch coming from a mile away. Lennox saw Hasim putting his whole body into a punch that was on the way but got hit anyway.
I think that sums it up completely. The punch was obviously a phenomenal hay-maker that was aligned perfectly. As well, Rahman is known to be extremely strong. Several boxers have stated this. I've heard a rumor that he can bench-press 400lbs, but I kind of doubt that anyone could do that who's not a professional weightlifter.

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Lewis saw the punch coming; he even had his hands up to block it but the punch broke through his guard and shattered his chin. The problem was that he was bouncing off the ropes --he was off balance and the punch caught him square on the chin. There was no way he wasn't getting hit flush and there was nowhere to go but down.

Holmes and Ali would never be careless enough to put themselves in that position, but if they were, I bet Ali would stretch out his arms for a clinch and use those precious seconds to recover. Holmes may go down as he did against Shavers, but he'd get up and regain control.

The punch was indeed hard, but if Lewis had been standing upright with proper balance he would have shook it off, or not get hit at all and counter the punch.

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Friday The 13th... wrote
It's somewhere in the middle...like it was said earlier...Lennox bounced right into the shot...compare that to Frazier's knockdown of Ali in MSG...that was all punch.

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Will69
Maybe a 400lbs bench is possible for a pro athlete with great genes, tons of training, and without junk.  I remember googling around to see what various HW boxers could lift, and a lot of them, including the Klits maxed out at something like 280-315lbs.  Now, I don't know if this was an absolute 1 rep max, or just the maximum they benched during a training session, or if it was just fanboy hearsay.  So who knows.  Apparently Tyson mainly did body-weight exercises during his prime.  And a lot of boxers don't focus on bulking up with power-lifting for obvious reasons.

But for yourself, if you can press 355lbs without supplements, then I would say that's pretty impressive.  (Well done!).  I've recently binge watched a lot of the cross-fit documentaries, and it's astonishing to see people (men and women) who aren't huge, lift a lot of weight multiple times throughout the day in those insanely grueling competitions.

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Lewis saw the punch coming; he even had his hands up to block it but the punch broke through his guard and shattered his chin. The problem was that he was bouncing off the ropes --he was off balance and the punch caught him square on the chin. There was no way he wasn't getting hit flush and there was nowhere to go but down.

Holmes and Ali would never be careless enough to put themselves in that position, but if they were, I bet Ali would stretch out his arms for a clinch and use those precious seconds to recover. Holmes may go down as he did against Shavers, but he'd get up and regain control.

The punch was indeed hard, but if Lewis had been standing upright with proper balance he would have shook it off, or not get hit at all and counter the punch.
Lennox had a bad habit in sparring where he would bounce off the ropes when he felt overconfident and in total control. He rarely did this with me because I stayed on his ass, but other guys he sometimes did this too when things were going really easy. Emanuel warned him a few times not to bounce off the ropes but it wasn't considered a big issue - just something Lennox did from time to time.

Well it cost him against Rahman but honestly that punch was telegraphed to hell. It was not a great punch. Someone like Ali or Byrd could have slipped that punch twice while it was incoming.

This was Rahman's lightning in a bottle - I remember people were comparing the fight to Walcott-Marciano 1, considering that one guy was ahead and then the other guy suddenly stops the fight with one punch. People were actually saying that Lennox was now too old and Rahman was this new "knockout artist."

It was a lucky punch, made all the more lucky by Lewis' balance. Rahman never landed a punch like that before or after this fight.

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Friday The 13th... wrote
Say what you will about the chin of Lennox Lewis, but I think this punch may have knocked out almost anybody. Who do you think would survive or shake off this punch? Holmes? Ali? State your case.
Lennox was a real enigma. He shook off some major bombs from Vitali and Mercer, but one punch from both McCall and Rahman knocked him goofy. I can see why people called him chinny.

The Rahman blow was a thing of beauty, but I can't see Holmes, Chuvalo, Holyfield or Ali getting stopped by it.

Re: The Rahman Punch that knocked Lennox TFO

Friday The 13th... wrote
Say what you will about the chin of Lennox Lewis, but I think this punch may have knocked out almost anybody. Who do you think would survive or shake off this punch? Holmes? Ali? State your case.

via GIPHY

What's funny is that Lewis appealed to the ref for help when he was down. Look at him waving his arms around like "Help me up!!"