This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Friday The 13th...
Who fought a better fight against Lennox Lewis? Tyson or Tua? Tyson was more aggressive than Tua but only won one round. Tua didn't throw anything but the occasional leaping left hook but still won at least three rounds. Tyson was knocked out but Tua went the distance. In your opinion who performed better?

Who performed better against Lennox?

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

BAD INTENTIONS
Both performances were pitiful but Tyson did better imo...... He at least tried to mount an attack. He was just slow and sluggish after the first round.... David didn't even attack when he had Lennox cornered or trapped.....Tyson would have.

David looks like Michael Jackson in this picture from the press conference after the fight.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Sivul
Voted Tua. He won some of the rounds convincingly. There's a lot of Tua hate on this forum but he did what he could against Lennox. He'd never fought anyone with that long reach and power before. Lennox was a true ring general. The bums Tua had been knocking out on the regular can't compare to Lennox. This was a rude awakening for the Tuaman. There were a few times when David got close and exploded with combinations of hooks and uppercuts to the body and head but Lennox took them.

Tua was just limited and outclassed against a better opponent in Lewis. But Tyson, prime or not, had the ability to beat Lennox but packed it in after an uppercut in the first 9 seconds of the bout.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

BAD INTENTIONS wrote
David looks like Michael Jackson in this picture from the press conference after the fight.

lol. David does resemble The King of Pop in that picture. Thanks for the laugh.

Me? I voted for Mike Tyson because he actually pressed Lennox and took harder punches. For most of the fight, Tua ate jabs from the distance but Tyson got up close and took brutal hooks and uppercuts. Those power shots hurt worse than the distance jabs Tua took all night. Look at the crushing blows Tyson took when he got up close.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Tua only took one or two uppercuts from Lewis in 12 rounds. And it was a right hook from Lewis that finished Mike. Mike was punished far worse than Tua because he actually attempted to close the gap. Tua was afraid of Lewis' power and never pounced on him when he had the chance.

Tua had more success against Lewis at times but Tyson actually pressed him all night and tried to make a fight of it. More than Tua, at least.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Shane
This is the impossible question, isn't it? Neither of them were a threat to Lennox at all.

Duggerman wrote
Mike was punished far worse than Tua because he actually attempted to close the gap. Tua was afraid of Lewis' power and never pounced on him when he had the chance.
Yep. David pussied out. If you watch the HBO broadcast of the Tua & Lewis fight, Larry Merchant and Jim Lamphley were saying in the last round that maybe this fight wasn't a preview of what a Lewis and Tyson fight would be because Mike would "take more chances" and be "more rambunctious." How wrong they were two years later.

In short, Tua was too afraid to get hurt by Lewis and therefore was content getting jabbed repeatedly in the face. Tyson lost his desire after a whirlwind of a first round with a guy that can really crack and box.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Shane, who would you say performed better?

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Shane, who would you say performed better?
Bud, if I was forced to pick I'd say Tua. Mike was so over the hill and only won one round (the first) but you could just as easily give that round to Lennox. After all, he hurt Mike. Mike never landed anything significant that round and I think he won the judges over by bobbing & weaving and fighting at a fast pace.

Mike was shot to shit. David fought like a mouse but he didn't quit. Lennox knocked Mike out in the 8th but Tyson could have gotten up if he really wanted to. He just said "No 'mas."

Tyson had the ability to beat Lewis?  No, not unless he took the effort & had the will to be as active & bob & weave as he did in his prime years before.  Then MAYBE he could have won-meaning if he had his old style & was a different figher, PERHAPS he would have the physical skills.
Tyson could have beaten Lewis. He could still punch and still had fast hands but his accuracy and defense was off. Lennox had a poor chin. All it takes is one punch. Physically Tyson could have beaten Lennox but he was mentally washed up and only fighting for money

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

BAD INTENTIONS wrote

David looks like Michael Jackson in this picture from the press conference after the fight.

Not hardly. lol. This is the Michael Jackson I remember and love.

motown 25 photo: motown 25 ani40.gif

motown 25 photo: MOTOWN 25 673.gif

Anything after Thriller is inferior.

But pertaining to this thread, I have to say Tyson. Is there any reason why a prime, aggressive heavy handed boxer like Tua shouldn't give it his all on the biggest night of his career? Tua was as afraid of Lewis as Patterson was of Liston, or Spinks was against Tyson. The only difference is that he stayed on his feet.

Mike was so past his best that it wasn't funny. Mike was at his peak from the ages of 18-21, 22 maybe. And he was 35 when he fought Lewis. And, the last competitive fight he had was against Holyfield 5 years before fighting Lewis. Tyson was fighting once a year against low level journeymen while Lennox was the champion, beating top ranked guys like Grant, Tua, Holyfield and the like. Mike didn't have a prayer but he showed some courage in this fight. He took his beating. I was surprised he didn't foul to get out of it the way he did against Evander. Mike was washed up but still showed more guts than prime Tua against Lennox.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

For Tua versus Lewis, The judges' scorecards read 118-110, 119-109 and 117-111.

Here are the punch stats for Tyson-Lewis

In Tyson versus Lewis, Tyson won only the first round. Tua did better.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Evan Fields
With the exception of Ray Mercer, Lewis always had an easy time with "Tyson-types." People expected Tommy Morrison to blow Lewis outta there with ease but Lewis had fun beating up poor ol' Tommy. Tua was the underdog against Lewis, and while Tyson was initially an underdog against Lewis too, more people swung in his corner closer to the fight. In Lewis' fights with Morrison, Tua and Tyson, he hurt all three of them really early and they shut down for the rest of the fight.

Tyson and Tua didn't throw combinations against Lennox. Both were looking for one big punch to end the night for Lewis and both had problems getting inside. Tyson hit the body more throughout the fight and he fought better in the first round alone than David did against Lewis in 12 rounds. So I'm voting for Mike.

On that note, it is downright sad that a washed up 35 year-old fought better than a prime 27 year-old.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Urban Legend
Evan Fields wrote
That's a damn shame if you're Tua.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Friday The 13th...
Good points, Evan Fields. Tyson landed some loud body punches on Lennox. I was surprised to see that because Tyson became a head hunter after the first Holyfield fight.

Emanuel Steward was begging Lennox to knock Tyson out much earlier. Was this because he feared referee Eddie Cotton or the judges would screw him, or because Tyson was still a dangerous puncher?

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Shogun of Harlem
Man_Eater wrote
Good points, Evan Fields. Tyson landed some loud body punches on Lennox. I was surprised to see that because Tyson became a head hunter after the first Holyfield fight. Emanuel Steward was begging Lennox to knock Tyson out much earlier. Was this because he feared referee Eddie Cotton or the judges would screw him, or because Tyson was still a dangerous puncher?
You answered your own question. You heard those body shots Tyson landed. It was only a matter of time before he landed that one magic punch to remove Lennox from his consciousness. There's no reason to leave a puncher like Tyson in the game that long. Remember the Francis Botha/Tyson fight? Francis was ahead on the cards when this happened.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Maximillian
Considering Tyson was knocked out, I'd say Tua did better. Both fights were lousy tho.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Shogun of Harlem wrote
GIFSoup
And thats what made it exciting. Tyson could end it at any second. I wonder why Emanuel didn't pressure Lennox into knocking out Tua though? Maybe he could sense that Tyson was ready to go.

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Man_Eater wrote
Who fought a better fight against Lennox Lewis? Tyson or Tua? Tyson was more aggressive than Tua but only won one round. Tua didn't throw anything but the occasional leaping left hook but still won at least three rounds. Tyson was knocked out but Tua went the distance. In your opinion who performed better?

I am shocked that Tyson is winning the poll. The first round was the only round he really tried anything big.
There was a left hook Tyson almost landed but Lennox staggered backward. If you watch it in slo' mo it looks like Lennox got tagged but he was just clumsy in his attempt to avoid the punch, that's all.

David landed several big left hooks on Lennox and one of them made the big brit's jaw swell up.

 photo tua-left-hook-on-lennox_3276149_GIFSoupcom_zps1e0fc343.gif

Tyson hit Lennox with some hard body shots on occasion but they did no damage. Tua stunned David on a few occasions, at least. And won a few rounds. Here's another big hook he landed.

 photo tua-aggression_3303210_GIFSoupcom_zps4b76eead.gif

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

Friday The 13th...
Who looked worse after fighting Lennox?

Re: This might be a stupid thread but I'm curious

George Jefferson
Kind of ironic that Tua is cut and swollen under the left eye, meaning it was Lewis' right hand that did it. But Lewis rarely threw the right against Tua all night. Tyson was cut under both eyes. It wasn't just the jab he got beat with, it was uppercuts and hooks.

Tua seemed to freeze after every Lennox jab whereas Tyson was bobbing weaving and trying to find a way forward. I think this is one of Tysons best displays of heart. I think his losses answered all the questions his wins never could.

I voted for Tyson because he was actually trying to do something in there.
12