Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

This is a featurette that was broadcast before his fight with Lennox Lewis. They showed inside his house. Tommy was living like Michael Jackson by having a zoo in his house. lol.

http://youtu.be/uF6yjWGmgC4

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Zombies Ate Me
I saw this before. Tommy was no match for Lennox. This was the very beginning of Lewis' late prime. Starting with the Morrison fight, Lennox was a brand new fighter under Emanuel Steward.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

This is a featurette that was broadcast before his fight with Lennox Lewis. They showed inside his house. Tommy was living like Michael Jackson by having a zoo in his house. lol.

http://youtu.be/uF6yjWGmgC4
Maybe he thought having cougers would make him more of a aggressive heavyweight? He got blown out by Lennox but fought better than Tua did. At least there's that.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

George Jefferson
Was this before or after he had AIDs?

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Today is the anniversary of the fight between these two. Lewis posted a picture on facebook and instagram.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

George Jefferson wrote
Was this before or after he had AIDs?
Just a little before the diagnosis.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Morrison left himself too open for counters and didn't move his head. Easy picking for Lewis. BUT had he fought Lewis pre-Emanuel Steward he may have done better because that was before Lewis developed that great jab and was more prone to slug it out, which would have worked in Morrison's favor greatly.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

49-0
Tommy was no stranger to the canvas. He was outclassed by Lennox and fought him on one of his best nights

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Leo the Lion
Yeha Tommy was knocked down quite a bit during his career. He got up and carried on quite often, unless it was one of the brutal KO's like against Bentt and Mercer. The one against Mercer sucked because the ropes held him up and Ray hit him when he was already out. Interesting to imagine what would have been had the ref given him a standing 8 before he was hit that many times...
Leo Rothmann - Amateur Boxer 183lbs

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Does anyone else feel that maybe...just maybe... that Lewis would have been knocked out by Morrison before the Emanuel Steward days?

Before Manny, Lewis’ jab was awful, his stance was wide, his balance was poor, he relied too much on the right hand, and he threw predictable patterns to finish guys; like his jab/right cross combination.

I believe there’s a good chance that the early Lewis gets severely hurt and struck down by Morrison’s left hook. The mature Lewis, however, shut Morrison down with a constant jab and then stopped him when he was disoriented a few rounds later. The younger Lewis would have thrown himself off balance trying to immediately go for the kill, and being off balance and wide open against Tommy’s hook is disasterous.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Will69
I have mixed feelings about Tommy.  In one sense, I feel he is underrated.  Morrison was a monster in the ring and was an unpolished version of Povetkin.  He is often criticized as being a bit rookie-ish because he tried to take out Mercer early.  But even that is debatable.  If he would have KOed Mercer, would people still say that was a rookie move?  Tyson did the same thing many times, but no one called Tyson's early KOs a rookie move.

Anyway, back to the topic, if Morrison fought Lewis before Stewart, it may have gone more like Mercer-Lewis, but Mercer also has one of the best chins in the division.  I feel Lewis still would have been a bit too big and powerful for Morrison to defeat him.  Morrison would still have more than a puncher's chance, but barring that, Lewis could still fight Morrison from the outside and with that advantage, would tip a SD.  Lewis would take a lot of damage though, in the process.  Even with an early Lewis, there are very few people who could take him, short of a lucky punch.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Will69 wrote
Lewis could still fight Morrison from the outside and with that advantage, would tip a SD.
This part stood out to me. Early Lewis fought like an amateur slugger. He had a pawing, pitiful jab back then and guys could get inside his reach much easier, especially with his wide stance and him constantly throwing the right haymaker. How do you think McCall was able to knock him on his ass? Lewis was wide open going for yet another right hand, and in that short second McCall stepped inside and kissed him flush with a right hook and Lewis was down.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Will69
Those are all true points.  I somehow don't think Morrison would be as calculative.  I imagine Morrison to just try and out-bash Lewis the way Tommy did with a lot of his opponents.   Sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't.  With Lewis, it would be close, and you can argue either way, but Lewis tended to get the nod even in close bouts.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

Tommy would be much more reckless than McCall, who was a more limited fighter than Tommy but more patient.

You’re right that it could certainly go either way, although I don’t see it lasting long regardless. Both men were sluggers at the time who would fight like a saloon fight. Someone is getting knocked out, especially since they both went for the kill early.

I still back Morrison as the potential winner though. Even as Lewis eased into his prime during the fight they actually DID have, it took several knockdowns to keep Tommy down. Lewis, however, would likely get blasted out with one bomb of a left hook.

Re: Tommy Morrison raised cougars and a monkey (video)

MAGUIRE
The video is gone now.
 photo lennox-hair_3476731_GIFSoupcom_zps919d29c7.gif