Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Sivul
http://coxscorner.tripod.com/10heavyweight.html

It's a good read. I don't agree with all of them but I can see his reasoning.

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Entaowed II
Entaowed wrote
Imagine coming back to win after being knocked down 27 times!  Then winning when the other guy tired.  I did not know about that ancient fight.
Technically the fight was NOT ancient. 1909 was the year of the Micahel Cudlitz Conquerers and they still have relatives today. The word "ANCIENT" actually means prehistoric, which in terms means primitive. Were those fighters primitive? No. They used to drink water like the rest of us.

It's the same as the way equation and formula are used interchangeably, but there is a difference.

Simple example:
Calculating your car's fuel efficiency

mpg = distance traveled in miles / fuel used in gallon

An equation is any expression with an equals sign, so your example is by definition an equation. Equations appear frequently in mathematics because mathematicians love to use equal signs.

A formula is a set of instructions for creating a desired result. Non-mathematical examples include such things as chemical formulas (two H and one O make H2O), or the formula for Coca-Cola (which is just a list of ingredients). You can argue that these examples are not equations, in the sense that hydrogen and oxygen are not "equal" to water, yet you can use them to make water.

You're welcome.

As I have said in a previous thread I consider the Thrilla in Manila to be overrated, more of a brawl than a great fight & totally disagree with Cox's elevation to position 1 of all time above the far superior FOC which imo can merit this hallowed position. I think the list encompasses relevance or importance above greatest perhaps but I do I agree with some of the entries, especially Marcianos incredible rescue of an almost sure loss. I would include Ike Ibeabuchi vs David Tua a fight that boasts a heavyweight stats punch record, at least 1 of the Holyfield Bowe fights & Tysons demolition of Berbick.

You're welcome.
Funny, and nearly a dead-on impression. Thank you. You made this old man's day.

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Entaowed II wrote
Were those fighters primitive? No. They used to drink water like the rest of us.
lol  This is undeniably the best part.

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Ha, very good!  No, it is not me.  But to play along...

I do not know about the MC conquerors, Googling it yielded the famous show.
But still having relatives?  Even if it was not fiction, that would not impact the how or if it is ancient.  Folks from 1000's of years ago have relatives today, even if the connections are unknown.

Prehistoric does not necessarily mean ancient, which can be used very broadly-& is not the same as primitive, which alludes to level of development, not necessarily the age.  While there tends to be a correlation, the former just means generally before modern recorded history.

I would like to be shown where I ever used such a completely unrelated tangent like "they used to drink water"-which is not connected to whether someone is primitive or not.

The equation & formula conceit is a circuit that cannot complete the analogy due to the fallacies in the first 3 definition of terms.

But bravo for the effort!

It was a joke! You actually googled that stuff and wanna correct it? Dear Gawd.

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Zorro, relax, you have been immoderate & excitable at times.

Ironic that you critiqued my posts that you admitted not even reading by copying a senseless critique...That you could never defend.  Now you critique my Googling something, really?
You're STILL on that? What about all of those annoying posts of yours I DID read? And replied to? We actually had some good exchanges here about boxing. But you're stuck on the one time I said I stopped reading your post. Ironically YOU'RE the one whose negatively conditioned, focusing on the ONE time I didn't read and ignoring all those good chats we did have.

And listen. Parodies are just that. PARODIES!! They are not the real thing. They are supposed to be silly exaggerated stretches of a person/event. They're not supposed to be perfect or taken serious. That's what makes them parodies. They're fun. They're entertainment.

Gee man. I hope hell isn't full of people like you. But then again, you don't even believe in hell. So you probably won't be bothered by this comment.

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

precious wrote
I would include Ike Ibeabuchi vs David Tua a fight that boasts a heavyweight stats punch record, at least 1 of the Holyfield Bowe fights & Tysons demolition of Berbick.
Good call, homie. Those fights should have made the cut somewhere, at least one of them.

Precious which fight did you like better - Tua and Ibeabuchi or Holyfield-Bowe 1?

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

precious

Malik I would say Tua and Ibeabuchi is my favorite, as Quote from Wikipedia says "The fight was spectacular. Both boxers threw bombs and neither took a backward step all night". As it was an eliminator to establish a number 1 Heavyweight contender it obviously did not carry the same weight as Bowe v Holyfield undisputed world heavyweight championship bout but has gone under the radar amongst the truly great Heavyweight bouts IMO.

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Sivul
I'd like for him to write a follow-up on these fights that didn't make the cut.

Those that Just Missed the Cut: Jeffries-Fitzsimmons 2, Dempsey-Tunney 2, Louis-Buddy Baer 1, Marciano-Charles 1, Marciano-Moore, Ali-Foreman , Ali-Shavers, Tyson-Douglas, Holyfield-Bowe 1, Moorer-Cooper, Holyfield-Tyson 1

Even though Holyfield was ahead, Tyson-Holyfield 1 was a competive fight until the 7th when they clashed heads. After that it was all Evander.

You know what fight I really wanna see? Marciano versus Carmine Vingo. I heard it was a war before Rocky paralyzed him. At 6'4 he was one of the biggest guys Rocky fought.

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

49-0
Carmine was a string bean indeed. If you look on boxrec, however, you'll see that Rocky knocked out guys as big as 6'6. But those contenders were not very good.

Walcott-Marciano 1 was not a good fight to me. Walcott dominated until getting blasted out by one punch. Not much of a fight, really. I prefer Rocky's fights with Charles and Moore any day.

Re: Top Ten Heavyweight Fights of All time

GatorPurify
I am not sure about 10. But Ali/Frazier 1 was the greatest ever, in my opinion.