Two Questions For The Duggerman

Jessica
Is journalism a hard job? And what do you enjoy about it? :)

Re: Two Questions For The Duggerman

It's a fun and exciting job!! You never know who you'll run into. You basically interview people and tell their stories, or report an event. I've always loved to write, and I'm a "people person" so interviewing them comes natural. Even after I retire, I'll still be writing freelance articles. I'll always be a writer.

Re: Two Questions For The Duggerman

Becky
It's the best job ever, isn't it? :)

Re: Two Questions For The Duggerman

Jessica
Do you pick your own story subjects? How do you get hired to write for people?

Re: Two Questions For The Duggerman

Jessica wrote
Do you pick your own story subjects? How do you get hired to write for people?
Sometimes I'm assigned stories, and sometimes I go out and find my own leads. It could go either way, and it depends on your beat. My beat for the Tribune is basically anything, normally front page news in Nashville. My Leaf-Chronicle beat is high school sports at the moment.

As for getting hired, you should keep some clips of your work from every place you write for and gradually build up a resume or portfolio. I've been building my portfolio since my college days at the All State, and then I added clips from my internship at the Leaf-Chronicle. After I graduated, I wrote some freelance articles for Business Clarksville magazine, and on and on it goes.

After you have a nice amount of clips from different places, email it to different publications and hope to catch a bite.

Re: Two Questions For The Duggerman

Jessica
I have a cousin who wants to get involved with writing. I linked her to your website. I told her to join up.

Re: Two Questions For The Duggerman

Cool. Tell her to swing this way.

Re: Two Questions For The Duggerman

Jessica wrote
I have a cousin who wants to get involved with writing. I linked her to your website. I told her to join up.
Who was your cousin? Did she ever register?