Tyson-Holyfield 1

Urban Legend
Thoughts on their first fight? It was decent until they clashed heads in the 6th round. After that it was all Holyfield.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Welcome back, Urban Legend.

Tyson was on the losing end but still fighting pretty well until the 6th. The 5th round was his best. No question about it. The big difference was that Holyfield had a strategy and Tyson didn't. Tyson was looking to end things with one big punch to the jaw. Holyfield would counter Mike's looping punches with at least two punches of his own. He also kept Tyson on the backfoot where his punches wouldn't be so effective.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Zorro
I was not expecting Evander to win. I really wasn't. He was looking so washed up after the losses to Riddick Bowe and Michael Moorer. I was expecting a first round KO. I think Mike underestimated Holyfield. AJ is right, too. Evander had the chin to take Mike's punches and a strategy, but Mike had nothing planned other than scoring a big knockout early.

Instead, we got this.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Maximillian
Holyfield only beat Mike by headbutting and clinching. If he wasn't allowed to do those two things, he would have been knocked out eventually.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Shane
He got away with a low blow early in the fight, too. Evander is one of the best counter punchers ever, and with Tyson throwing those looping shots, it was easy for Evander to pay him back. Part of me thinks that Evander would always have Tyson's number, but all the while, I can't see any version of Evander surviving a prime Mike Tyson. Had they fought in 1986 instead of 1996, things would have played out differently.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Redemption wrote
 Had they fought in 1986 instead of 1996, things would have played out differently.
You read my mind.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Still a decent fight until the 6th. I had Holyfield ahead, but Tyson was still in the fight. It's a shame because this was a winnable fight for Tyson. I remember being surprised by how strong Evander looked. I didn't expect him to out-muscle Mike Tyson. Holyfield is natually a freaking cruiserweight, but he proved to be stronger than Mike Tyson.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

49-0
This fight proved that Mike Tyson can be outmuscled. I wasn't expecting Evander to win either. But only because he looked over the hill in previous fights.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Bert Sugar
Evander Holyfield Defeats Mike Tyson

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Evolution
Bert Sugar wrote
Evander Holyfield Defeats Mike Tyson
Evander trained over a year for this fight. He was mentally and physically prepared. Let me tell you something; Evander is much stronger than he looks. I met his father once, and his father is a huge guy. He told me that he used to pick up trucks. Evander is oddly strong for a man his size and he gets that from genetics. I sparred with Evander on many occasions and if he can shove me around the ring then it came as no surprise that he could do the same to Mike Tyson.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Let me tell you something; Evander is much stronger than he looks. I met his father once, and his father is a huge guy. He told me that he used to pick up trucks. Evander is oddly strong for a man his size and he gets that from genetics. I sparred with Evander on many occasions and if he can shove me around the ring then it came as no surprise that he could do the same to Mike Tyson.
Rocky Marciano was the same way. He was undersized but unusually strong for someone of his petite stature. Joe Louis said it hurt to bump into Rocky.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Malik Wright
Tyson underestimated Holyfield big time in the first fight, as did everybody else! In the second fight he came in condition and he was reserving his energy, he was boxing well behind the jab. What also seems to be forgotten is that Tyson had Giachetti in his corner for this fight.

In the first fight Holyfiled had Brooks and Tyson had......HIMSELF!!!

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Urban Legend
You know your stuff Mr. Wright. I thought u were just a big Tyson fanboy all this time.

Evander fought a good fight and he had the chin to carry it off. He just countered Mike all night.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Rosco
Urban Legend wrote
Evander fought a good fight and he had the chin to carry it off. He just countered Mike all night.
He wouldn't be able to get away with that in the 80s. Tyson was throwing one punch at a time and the punches were looping so Evander could sidestep and counter or clinch him up. Tyson in the 80s would be much more aggressive and threw more punches. Solid chin or not, Evander would be knocked out.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

BAD INTENTIONS
I lost $50 that November night in 1996. I did not think Evander had anything left. Mike was looking good, even though he was knocking out much inferior opposition at the time. Evander looked shot and Tyson looked to be a man on a mission. Once it went past 7 rounds, I knew Mike had no chance. He wasn't even fighting back anymore really.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

"Urban Legend wrote
Evander fought a good fight and he had the chin to carry it off. He just countered Mike all night.
He also clinched, butted, lowblowed and punched in the clinches. If not for the headbutt in the 6th round, I wonder how Tyson would have fared. It's not like he ran out of gas or anything. He blacked out after the butt.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Urban Legend
How do you think the fight would have played out if they fought in 1991? Holyfield wasn't as physically big or strong in 1991, and more prone to brawling. He said that after his fights with Bowe, particularly the third fight, that he became less brawl-crazy and more deliberate. As you saw in the Tyson fight, he was controlled in his aggression. He fought a very smart and controlled fight.
Don

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Don
1991 would have been a totally different fight.

96 Holyfield was bigger than Tyson (allegdly due to peds), pushing him around, in 1991 he woulkdnt have had the physical advantage over Tyson

in 96 He was old and he knew he couldnt just stand there and trade with him, so he boxed a smart fight.

Some factors which people tend to ignore
In 1996, Tyson had fought a load of nobodies, his last decent opponent was Razor Ruddock and that was 5 years prior

Holyfield in the meantime had fought, Bowe, Mercer, Holmes, Moorer, Foreman....thats top notch opposition.

Also i feel Tysons punch resistance suffered in prison, probablty due to inactivity and not enough sparring, you can tell in the fight everytime Holyfield lands a jab Tysons facial reactions show likes hes never been punched before, thats a sign of not enough sparring.

In 91, Holyfield didnt seem as strong as he was in 96, i see Tyson walking through him in 91 2bh,
ONLY IN AMERICA!!

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Tyson said here that Holyfield screamed and then brutalized him after a hard right hook to the body in the first round.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lpYCHzs6BLM

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 1

Holyfield floored Tyson with a left hook counter in the 6th round.

123