Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Here is a link to a blog I wrote several years ago on the 14th anniversary of the fight.

http://www.ajdugger.com/1/post/2011/06/14-year-anniversary-of-the-bite-fight.html

What did you think of it? Ironically Tyson was winning the third round until he lost his cool and started biting.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Zorro
 I could read your stuff all day. You should seriously consider writing for The Ring Magazine or someplace like that.

The fight was a disgrace if you want me to be frank. It was interesting but Mike should have found a way around Evander's holding and countering. That is what a great heavyweight would have done. Tyson fought in one gear and Evander could do a lot more. He bullied the bully.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Friday The 13th...
I read this when you posted it on facebook after you wrote it. Great stuff as usual. Quite honestly the fight left me wanting more. Holy won the first and second because Tyson fought submissive, but Tyson really turned it up in the third. If you don't count the ear bites, he should have won that round. He kept attacking and all Holy could do was block and stay on defense. I'm wondering how a fourth round would have played out because Tyson was fighting desperately and Holy didn't have the control he did in the first two rounds but didn't look bad at all. Its a damn shame Tyson did what he did but Evander would have beat him anyway.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

 I could read your stuff all day. You should seriously consider writing for The Ring Magazine or someplace like that.

The fight was a disgrace if you want me to be frank. It was interesting but Mike should have found a way around Evander's holding and countering. That is what a great heavyweight would have done. Tyson fought in one gear and Evander could do a lot more. He bullied the bully.
Yes. Evander was tough and skilled enough to beat anyone. (And for those of you who take all of my comments literally, I'm not saying that he would beat anyone, just that he's tough enough to).

He had Mike's number. Mike was frustrated and wanted a way out. Mike was convinced that Evander was on steroids for the two fights they had but Evander tested negative both times and the results were revealed to Tyson after the fight. Tyson was convinced that Evander was on something. He wasn't expecting a blown up crusierweight to shove him around the ring like that. The rematch was shaping up to be a rerun of the '96 fight. Tyson had no answer.

Very nice read. I feel like I can "see" the action by reading this.

Yep. When I wrote that blog, Holyfield was the WBF Heavyweight Champion. Technically he's the oldest heavyweight title holder. But Foreman was the oldest lineal champion when he held the WBA title. So both men have the claim.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Here is a link to a blog I wrote several years ago on the 14th anniversary of the fight.

http://www.ajdugger.com/1/post/2011/06/14-year-anniversary-of-the-bite-fight.html

What did you think of it? Ironically Tyson was winning the third round until he lost his cool and started biting.
Great read. I've always maintained that Holyfield was a winnable fight for Tyson.... Holyfield had a strategy and Tyson didn't.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

 Tyson had no answer.
That's not entirely true. Mike had some good moments during the second fight.
I dont remember which round it was but the commentator said something along the lines "THATS the Mike Tyson we want".

It could've been a good equal battle if Mike had fought back. I dont say he wouldve won, in order to do so we'd have to go back to prime Tyson, which is 86 or 88.

But doesnt Holyfield have a history of steroid use? Evan Fields anyone? I definitely had the impression that his physique went through drastic changes in the 1990ies.

When I look at 1986 Holyfield against Qawi in 1986 I see a natural Evander. Very skilled, but natural. Qawi wasnt as strong as Tyson.

What happend between 1986 - 1996? Why did Evander look like a beast in 1996? How did he BECOME such a beast? You're usually born when you're such a beast. Was it really just eating vegatables, running, jumping rope and lifting weights?

If he had went up HW in 1988, I dont think the fight would've turned out well for him against Mike.

Generelly I think there is much more use of PED in boxing than he think, even today. The question is: Do we want to know the truth?

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

George Jefferson
Holyfield tested negative for 'roids for both fights with Tyson.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

George Jefferson wrote
Holyfield tested negative for 'roids for both fights with Tyson.
Was it random testing? There are ways to work around the system.
I suggest if Tyson had demanded random testing, the fight would've never happened.

Also you have to take the possibility into account that Holyfield used it for years before Tyson
until he finally grew into a bigger version of himself.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

I have to say that it's not such a big thing looking back.
But I remember that it was huge back then. And boxing was huge along with it.

The fights were crap (both fights) even though the first fight is a favorite of mine due to the brilliant strategy executed by Evander. But the fight wasn't that good because Evander was doing most of the work, it was uneven, almost looked like a mismatch.

But as I said, boxing was huge at that point. Simply because Evander Holyfield was global star and Mike Tyson was an even bigger global star.

The marketing was brilliant. Both men had their role.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Shane
Moejoe wrote

The fights were crap (both fights) even though the first fight is a favorite of mine due to the brilliant strategy executed by Evander.
I wouldn't go that far, bud. All Evander did was hold and butt. If he wasn't allowed to constantly hold, Mike would have knocked him out. The fight was back and forth until Evander butted Mike in the 7th round. Tyson couldn't remember anything after that. Evander was using the same "hold and butt" strategy in the rematch. It's no coincidence Mike got cut by Evander's head both times.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Shane wrote
I wouldn't go that far, bud. All Evander did was hold and butt.
Why didnt any of other Tysons oppoents used that strategy?
Buster Mathis Jr. tried something similar, but failed.

As far as the rematch goes: Tyson was showing aggressiveness in round 3, and for a brief moment it looked like Evander had no answer. But Mike wasnt able to sustain that aggressiveness. A part of it was that Evander was able to take the punches - if Mike wanted to defeat Evander, he'd have to fight fight fight, like Joe Frazier. Evander wouldnt go down from one combination.

Still, Evander was fighting a shadow of Tysons former self.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Zorro
^^You answered your own question. Evander had the chin to take the punches. Buster Mathis didn't.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

I wonder what you guys think about 1996 Tyson vs. the Klitschkos?
I believe it would be a hard fight for Tyson, especially given the fact the he faded when round 3 past.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Moejoe wrote
Why didnt any of other Tysons oppoents used that strategy?
Buster Mathis Jr. tried something similar, but failed.
When Mike Tyson lunges at you with a punch, it's natural instinct to step back. Tyson's punch is most powerful when he's coming forward. You naturally don't wanna get hit by him so you'll find yourself retreating backward or going into survival mode where you look to run and grab.

Holyfield walked forward into Tyson's shots and wasn't afraid to counter and push Tyson back. He had the chin and the courage to do it.

Buster Mathis indeed gave Tyson some trouble. Tyson can only fight forward. Seeing Buster Mathis push Tyson back so easily gives hope to some people that Frazier would only do it better, though I pick Tyson to knock out Frazier.

Moejoe wrote
I wonder what you guys think about 1996 Tyson vs. the Klitschkos?
I believe it would be a hard fight for Tyson, especially given the fact the he faded when round 3 past.
He didn't fade after three rounds. That only happened in the '96 fight with Holyfield because they clashed heads and Tyson couldn't remember anything after the 7th round. Before then, the fight was almost even, though Holyfield was ahead. Other than the first Holyfield fight, Tyson only faded in the fights with Lewis and Douglas, but he was washed up against Lewis and under-trained and out of condition versus Douglas.

Wladimir Klitschko has a weak chin. '96 Tyson still had enough speed and power to knock him out. This Tyson was still ferocious, just lacking punching accuracy and timing. '96 Tyson was trained by Jay Bright who brought him back to basics with the peek-a-boo style. This version of Tyson worked the body and moved his head well.

Vitali would be the tougher fight. He has a hell of a chin. Either Vitali breaks Tyson down and knocks him out late, or Tyson wins by TKO on cuts the way Lewis did. That is, if we're talking peak Vitali versus '96 Tyson.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

Shane
Yeah. Tyson scored more than a few late round stoppages--Jose Ribalta in 10, Tyrell Biggs in 7, Botha in 5, Nielsen in 7, etc. I'd say it wasn't until 2002 that he started to fade if he didn't get the early KO.

Re: Tyson-Holyfield 2 "The Bite Fight"

What a trip down memory lane! Its a shame Tyson bit him. He was going to war in that third round.
123