Tyson vs Buster Douglas

Will69
One of the biggest HW upsets.  Mike's corner seemed to giving the right advice, but only in whispers and in a timid, uncertain way.  His corner has been questioned that night, but how much did it matter?  Do you think if Emanuel Steward was in Tyson's corner, the fight would have went different?  And also, if Douglas wasn't saved by the bell after hitting the canvas in the 8th, could Tyson have finished him off  if he had a few more seconds?

Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjonl8kXnc&feature=channel

This is a rare clip of the entire fight with no commentary. Bert Sugar analyzes the fight in-between rounds. We've mentioned this fight around here on occasion but there's no thread on it....until now. What are your thoughts? Did Tyson suck that night or was Buster Douglas that good?

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRjonl8kXnc&feature=channel

This is a rare clip of the entire fight with no commentary. Bert Sugar analyzes the fight in-between rounds. We've mentioned this fight around here on occasion but there's no thread on it....until now. What are your thoughts? Did Tyson suck that night or was Buster Douglas that good?
It's a little of both. It is well known that Mike stopped training and wasn't focused for this fight. He partied hard and didn't take the fight seriously. But let's give Buster credit he had a good strategy and fought a good fight against Mike. But it does say something that Buster refused to fight Mike again. Don King and Donald Trump sued Buster for backing out of an agreement to fight Mike again.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Yeah. If Tyson had trained properly and not overlooked Douglas, he would have slaughtered him in cold blood. Buster looked fantastic that night but it was because he was fighting an out of shape Tyson that rarely punched back.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Maximillian
It was only a matter of time before Tyson got that ass whooped. He always had trouble with big guys.

I'm sick of hearing the "Tyson didn't train" bulls--t. OK, if Mike didn't train, how in the hell did he last so long? If he were out of shape he'd have been KO'd much faster. He was in shape, he just wasn't expecting what he got.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

GatorPurify
The Greatest wrote
It was only a matter of time before Tyson got that ass whooped. He always had trouble with big guys.

I'm sick of hearing the "Tyson didn't train" bulls--t. OK, if Mike didn't train, how in the hell did he last so long? If he were out of shape he'd have been KO'd much faster. He was in shape, he just wasn't expecting what he got.
You might be tired of it but it's true. It was documented that Mike didn't train properly. There's is even footage of Mike getting knocked down by his sparring partner he was so out of it. You can even look at the beginning of the fight at Mikes stomach. Mike was known for his strong abdominal muscles, but his stomach was obviously flabby.

The reason why he lasted so long is that Mike has a great chin. No more no less. You being able to withstand punches and you being out of shape are two different things.
Much respect to Buster he fought a good fight.But the fact that he ducked a rematch with Mike that could of made him rich, says a lot. If he thought he could beat Mike again he would of fought him again point blank.

Ferdie Pacheco said it best after Buster got knocked out by Holyfield. "Buster is not the great fighter we thought he was. He obviously just got ahold of a bad Tyson in Tokoyo."

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

The Greatest wrote
I'm sick of hearing the "Tyson didn't train" bulls--t.
GatorPurify wrote
You might be tired of it but it's true.
LOL. Nice exchange there.

Tyson's chin is underrated. The boy could take punishment. He has to take a long beating before he's down and out. You're never gonna stop Tyson early.

Lennox Lewis injured his right hand punching Mike so hard. But Mike kept coming!!

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

BAD INTENTIONS
This isn't the biggest upset in boxing. I think it was the biggest upset in the history of all sports. There was nothing on Buster's record that'd make you think he'd beat up and then knock out Kid Dynamite. Nothing at all. Remember his horrible night against Tony Tucker? smh

But to keep it 100, Mike beat himself that night. No matter who fought him that night, Mike was going to lose.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Here is a interview with Buster Douglas about the fight.

BoxingInsider: When did you first believe in your own mind you were going to defeat Mike Tyson?

James “Buster” Douglas: “I always thought I had a good chance to beat him. Confident in my abilities. I moved up the rankings and got closer to get another shot at the title. It just grew, you know, it just grew from there.”

BoxingInsider: Do you remember a specific time in your mind when you first believed that you were gonna beat Tyson?

James “Buster” Douglas: “Once I signed to fight him I knew that I could beat him. And then, of course, it intensified as my mom passed and prior to my mother passing, she came over and checked on me – because I was going through a lot in my life – at the time my wife and I were separated – and it was just really bad outside of my boxing career. And then I was really adamant about it with my mom. And she was like, Oh, you’re so mean. From that point on she was confident I was prepared to fight. It was a trying time but through the grace of God I made it through all the things I was going through. There I was preparing for one of the biggest nights of my life, and then all the things in my life were going bad. But I still stayed focused and was able to lean on boxing to bring me through that, that storm. It was really a difficult time in my life, but boxing helped me make it through it because it took my mind off it, you know, my personal life. So, therefore, he (Tyson) was the least of my worries.”

BoxingInsider: When did you first notice that Mike Tyson was beginning to realize he was in trouble with you?

James “Buster” Douglas: “I would say probably about the 5th round or so. Because quite a few people have had a good first round with Mike. But after three rounds, four rounds, five rounds, he took a real good look at me, after about the 5th round, like, DAMMNN [laughs]. You know, one of those kind of expressions. It just continued from there. But the thing I was impressed about Mike was, he fought like a son of a bitch. Because we all thought, once he got five or six rounds behind, that he would be like, Oh, fuck it, things aren’t going my way. But, shit, he stepped it up too. So, you know, it was a helluva thing.”

BoxingInsider: When did you first see the look of defeat etched on his face or in his…(eyes)?

James “Buster” Douglas: “(Cutting me off) I never saw defeat in Mike’s face, never. And that’s, ironically [laughs], in the 8th round, when I wanted to take a, like, reflect, like, Mike, look at this going on…BANG! He caught me with a shot. And that’s when I was like, Oh, better stay serious, because he’s focused. He was focused throughout.”

BoxingInsider: How many times have you watched the video?
James “Buster” Douglas: “Oh, I’ve seen it over, of course, when it happened, quite a few times. But I haven’t watched it much lately. But I still have it definitely [smiles]. Whenever I feel bad or something, I watch it, you know [smiles]?”

BoxingInsider: It was a night of genius you had in Tokyo. How much better did you feel that night than all your other fights in your career?

James “Buster” Douglas: “Well, I could have easily gone out there and given a lackluster performance, or probably try once or twice and say, Aw, the hell with it. And put a face back on, well his mother just died, he was under a lot. But that was the last thing I would allow to happen. Because my mother was such a very strong woman and I couldn’t go out like that. She raised me to be a really strong man. So, really, like I said, that just intensified my training and my last couple of weeks before the fight. There was no doubt in my mind that I could do it. I felt very confident. It was one of the most confident days going to a fight in my career. I always knew I had the ability, that’s why I did it. So I knew I had the tools to do it. It was just sorting a few things out along the way to becoming champion.”

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Malik Wright
I remember Don King was trying to reverse the decision saying Douglas got a long count. I thought so too until I saw this. Both counts were even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHcbFUTIslI

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Zorro
Malik Wright wrote
I remember Don King was trying to reverse the decision saying Douglas got a long count. I thought so too until I saw this. Both counts were even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHcbFUTIslI
Never saw that before. This should erradicate those ridiculous "long count" myths.

Mike got beat fair and square. I was making bets that Mike Tyson would lose sooner or later, but I never guessed Buster Douglas would be the man to do it. Buster was supposed to be a tuneup for Evander Holyfield.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

49-0
The judges had Tyson ahead. If he hadn't knocked Buster out, he would have won the fight, despite Buster kicking his ass all night. The same thing happened in Tyson's last fight against Kevin McBride. If Tyson hadn't quit, the three blind mice sitting at ringside would have given him the fight. Dispicable.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

the boston strong boy
rip bert my thoughts douglas had a lucky night the best night of his life and his only real claim to fame as a fighter the first guy to ko mike tyson

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

I'll always wonder how the Douglas of that night would have done against Evander Holyfield? Holyfield would have probably beaten Douglas anyway but it would have been a war for sure. It's a shame Douglas picked up weight and loss his desire by the time he fought Evander.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Bert Sugar
Malik Wright wrote
I remember Don King was trying to reverse the decision saying Douglas got a long count. I thought so too until I saw this. Both counts were even.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHcbFUTIslI
That is brilliant.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Evolution
This is the pre-fight special of the Tyson-Tillis fight. This was his first fight since the Douglas ass whoopin. He talked about the Douglas fight here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9-btPWYWgs

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Left Hook From Hell...
What would have happened in a rematch? Buster looked hella convincing when he beat Mike up like that from the clips I saw. I never seen the full fight but I'll watch the videos in this thread when I get time tomorrow.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

What would have happened in a rematch? Buster looked hella convincing when he beat Mike up like that from the clips I saw. I never seen the full fight but I'll watch the videos in this thread when I get time tomorrow.
Tyson would have beat that ass in a rematch and Buster knew it! That's why he never gave Tyson a rematch. Tyson had an off night and didn't train as he should have. Buster only looked so great because Tyson offered minimal resistance and defense during the fight.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

I watched this fight for the first time in a long time last night. The entire crowd gasped when Tyson was counted out. This had to be the biggest upset in sports history.

Re: Tyson-Douglas (Bert Sugar's Thoughts)

Brooklyn's Finest
Maximillian wrote
It was only a matter of time before Tyson got that ass whooped.
I remember feeling that way especially when he fired Kevin Rooney. When we trained Kevin stayed on his ass about body work and combinations. Mike used to head hunt. When Kevin was fired Mike became more reckless and relying on one-punch bombs to the jaw. The head movement was gone too. I knew Mike would lose sooner than later but the question was to who? I didn't expect it to be Douglas. I actually expected him to call off the fight since his mother had died. I know I couldn't fight with something like that on my mind. Props to him.
12