Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Zorro
^^People are still making excuses for Tyson all these years later. I bet if he won the fight people wouldn't say he was drugged. This guy is a biased Tyson fan.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

^^People are still making excuses for Tyson all these years later. I bet if he won the fight people wouldn't say he was drugged. This guy is a biased Tyson fan.
Very biased. But I think there’s some truth to it. Did anyone else notice how subdued Tyson was before the fight? Coming out to the ring that night, he didn’t resemble the psychotic madman he was during the months before to hype the fight. Given his mental illnesses (manic depression, etc) he’s always been medicated. But ironically this was the ONE fight he didn’t need to be medicated for! This was the night he SHOULD have been a ferocious animal. He should have been on his meds during that crazy ass press conference.

Hey, this isn’t an excuse by any means. Remember I pick Lewis to whoop ANY version of Tyson. Mike would have lost that fight anyway. But whatever drugs he was on that night made him passive.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Joe Kingman
[...]

I heard those rumors too but didn't think much of it. I dismissed it as biased Tyson fanboys making excuses for their man. But given Mike's depression and mood swings and him "all of a sudden" being mellow on fight night really sounds like it's quite likely he was on something. Was it ritalin or something?

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Joe Kingman wrote
I heard those rumors too but didn't think much of it. I dismissed it as biased Tyson fanboys making excuses for their man. But given Mike's depression and mood swings and him "all of a sudden" being mellow on fight night really sounds like it's quite likely he was on something. Was it ritalin or something?
Yep. My assumption was correct. Here is an excerpt from Tyson's book. His current wife was an on-again/off again girlfriend at the time, and she was with him the week of the Tyson fight. He was on heavy medications. He starts talking about his medications in the third paragraph of the first scan. He also lists everything he was taking. No wonder he was so woozy!  This isn't an excuse, but an explanation for his sudden calm demeanor that night. Hear it from Tyson himself.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Phantom Punch
Well damn.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Maximillian
So was Mike on medications during the Douglas and McBride fights too? He was clearly lethargic and mellow during those fights too.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Phantom Punch wrote
Well damn.
My thoughts exactly. I think medications are bad for boxers, especially if they play a factor in your performance.

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Will69
Interesting.  Bowe said the same thing about both his fights with Golota.

Tyson wanted a rematch after being defeated by Lewis.  Does anyone know why that never happened?

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Will69 wrote
Tyson wanted a rematch after being defeated by Lewis.  Does anyone know why that never happened?
Tyson changed his mind in the dressing room after the fight. Here is the interview.

https://youtu.be/Vewmp2JigcQ?t=54m56s

There's also an interview with Emanuel Steward and Lewis shortly afterwards where they discussed their battle plan and how the referee was totally biased against Lewis. This was a great concern as the fight progressed, and one of the reasons Emanuel wanted Lewis to "get this motherfuck3r outta here!!"

Re: Lennox Lewis (2002) Versus Mike Tyson (1988)

Kid Dynamite
I tried posting this in the "Mentally Ill boxers" thread but it didn't take for some reason. Here goes again.

My best friend since childhood developed schizophrenia, and has practiced boxing for years. His meds keep him in control for the most part, but he has "tripped" several times. One time was a violent outburst against his father, although I know his father easily frustrates him. The other times, as far as I know, would have caused more harm to himself than others. For the most part he wonders off, hears things, etc..

His mother was also schizophrenic, which is often uncommon. From practically growing up with them, I think I've only heard 1 violent thing come out of her mouth. She had schizophrenia for over 30 years, and practically no meds worked for her. I witnessed deteriorating mental state growing up. I watched her go from normal functioning holding a job, to having troubles being at home, to taking away almost all of her freedom because her behavior would scare others, and make her paranoid herself. Before she died, she spent most of her time locked away in her room, always more "out" than "in" I believe.

I think realistically it comes down to the kind of individual you're dealing with. If they represent lack of self-control regularly, are "explosive" and/or have a violent history; then I believe there could come a day where it becomes an issue. I think it would be unlikely, but certainly not impossible. Generally they lose self-control in waves. You can see it as their body adapts to their medication, and eventually reaches a point where it is no longer effective. For that to align perfectly with a sparring session or match, would probably be rather rare, or for them to actually "trip"...

I think it'd be a stretch to say that it would be unsafe for them to practice boxing, but I would say there is always a possibility for excessive violence. Again, I don't personally know naturally violent schizophrenics, my friend is not a violent person, so I cannot comment on how some of them might react.

However, with all that being said; I think if everything did align, he was fighting someone and viewed them as a threat or was "told" to hurt them, I would not put it past him to seriously hurt the person he was fighting, if they weren't capable of defending themselves or no one was there to stop him

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

Big Red
"I got this new medication right? It even makes me slur...I'm on this zooloft thing. But I'm on that to keep from killing y'all!"

-Mike Tyson (2002)

Here's a link to a video where he says it.

https://youtu.be/Yfvqe9lyF-M?t=79

So yes, this is why he was a zombie on fight night against LL.

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

George Jefferson
Big Red wrote
"I got this new medication right? It even makes me slur...I'm on this zooloft thing. But I'm on that to keep from killing y'all!"

-Mike Tyson (2002)

Here's a link to a video where he says it.

https://youtu.be/Yfvqe9lyF-M?t=79

So yes, this is why he was a zombie on fight night against LL.
Just watched it.

Anyone would be a zombie on that stuff. My sister takes it. It mellows you out...a little too much. It wasn't a good idea for him to fight on that stuff, not in my opinion. His handlers must not have cared whether he won or not. They just wanted the check. I honestly think Mike felt the same way deep down.

I'm still watching this video now. Some cool stuff here in the footage I forgot about. I'm watching Samuel L. Jackson's thoughts about the fight now. lol. He's always entertaining. I forgot he was there that night.

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

J.C.

I am not doubting that Mike was on something, (this thread has provided more than enough evidence) but wouldn't the pre-fight screenings have caught this? I didn't think ANY drugs are supposed to be in your system before a fight, even mental health drugs. Am I wrong?

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

George Jefferson wrote
I'm still watching this video now. Some cool stuff here in the footage I forgot about. I'm watching Samuel L. Jackson's thoughts about the fight now. lol. He's always entertaining. I forgot he was there that night.
I'm disappointed, homie. He didn't say "MOTHERF.UCKER" not ONE time!! lol.

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

J.C. wrote
From what I'm aware of mental health drugs don't show up during screenings. In fact they don't even show up during routine drug tests for your employer or background checks.

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

George Jefferson wrote
Anyone would be a zombie on that stuff. My sister takes it. It mellows you out...a little too much.
But wouldn't he have been kayod a lot faster if he was in such a dazed state?

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

Left Hook From Hell...
George Jefferson wrote
I'm still watching this video now. Some cool stuff here in the footage I forgot about. I'm watching Samuel L. Jackson's thoughts about the fight now. lol. He's always entertaining. I forgot he was there that night.

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

George Jefferson wrote
Anyone would be a zombie on that stuff. My sister takes it. It mellows you out...a little too much.
But wouldn't he have been kayod a lot faster if he was in such a dazed state?
I don’t think he took enough of it to make him a zombie, but it did mellow his aggression significantly.

But make no mistake about it, Lennox would have beat him up anyway, and I think at their peaks Lennox would always beat Mike.

Re: Tyson was on heavy medications during the fight with Lewis (Confirmation)

Will69
Agreed, but perhaps if Mike wasn't on those woozy pills, the fight would have gone 12 rounds, and maybe Lennox would have been challenged a lot more than he was.  I would think some rounds would be like Mercer-Lewis.

(Also, I think prime vs prime, Lewis would still defeat Tyson, but it would go the scorecards.  Maybe similar to  Tyson-Ruddock 2, but with Lewis winning).
12