Undertaker's American Badass Gimmick

How did you feel about it? I remember when he crashed the party at Judgement Day. I was happy to see him but disappointed in the gimmick at the time. I was used to The Undertaker trying to sacrifice people, taking their souls, etc. To see him spitting tobacco and riding a motorcycle was a stretch to me.

Looking back though, I enjoy this chapter of his career more than I did back then. I don't think too much acting was required on his part. This was the closest we ever got to the real Mark Calaway. He even brought his then-wife Sara into the mix. Thoughts on the character?

Your thoughts on the 'biker' gimmick?

Re: Undertaker's American Badass Gimmick

Left Hook From Hell...
It was fresh. You gotta do what you can to change with the times. 10 years of playing the same supernatural zombie character is bound to get stale. His biker gimmick was more believable and fit right in at the start of the 2000s.

I had a feeling he dressed like this anyway in real life. There were times backstage even as The lord of darkness that he'd be dressed in biker clothes with the bandana and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlWUVIAFn9Q

Re: Undertaker's American Badass Gimmick

I had a feeling he dressed like this anyway in real life. There were times backstage even as The lord of darkness that he'd be dressed in biker clothes with the bandana and all that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlWUVIAFn9Q
That's the genius of each of Taker's transformations. They were gradual. Even when he returned to the "Dead Man" gimmick in 2004, he was like a zombie version of the American Bad Ass.

Re: Undertaker's American Badass Gimmick

I had a love-hate relationship with his finisher at the time, "The Last Ride." I understand why he didn't use the Tombstone because piledrivers were banned at the time, but I prefer The Tombstone Piledriver as his finisher.

Still, The Last Ride sounds like a car crash when you hit the mat. Sounds like the impact should break bones and stop your heart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ1bM147oh4

Re: Undertaker's American Badass Gimmick

redfeng007
Undertaker teaching Kane how to do Last Ride...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awIBHi3YrKk

It seems that they have almost the same moves.

Chokeslam & Tombstone.

Re: Undertaker's American Badass Gimmick

Urban Legend
redfeng007 wrote
Undertaker teaching Kane how to do Last Ride... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awIBHi3YrKk It seems that they have almost the same moves. Chokeslam & Tombstone.
They also both have the running DDT. Did you see the times Kane dressed up as the Undertaker and vice versa? You wouldn't be able to tell the difference!

Re: Undertaker's American Badass Gimmick

What was your favorite 'Taker gimmick?

Mine was the 1999 Ministry Undertaker, and for several reasons. One is because this is the gimmick he had when I started watching wrestling in April 1999. He was a dark character, attempting to marry Stephanie, trying to embalm Stone Cold, etc. And it was cool how he brainwashed Mideon and Viscera to join the Acolytes and The Brood as his followers in the ministry. To me this was the coolest he ever was when he was The Dead Man.

Yeah. He dressed like this in late '99 too when he wasn't wrestling. In some ways it's like he was slowly transitioning into the American Bad Ass even back then.

Re: Undertaker's American Badass Gimmick

Yeah. He dressed like this in late '99 too when he wasn't wrestling. In some ways it's like he was slowly transitioning into the American Bad Ass even back then.
Absolutely. In September '99 he was basically the 'biker already.