Vitali is considering retirement if he wins tonight's fight

Vitali is considering retirement if he wins tonight's fight

He's making the 10th defense of his title tonight against Dereck Chisora. Let's be real. Vitali is going to win. He says he's thinking of retiring after this fight. I figured he would at least attempt to beat Joe Louis's record of 25 title defenses and then hang up the gloves, but I understand his plight--there's no competition. Here's an article that was published today.

http://news.yahoo.com/klitschko-shrugs-off-crisis-talk-against-chisora-030220117.html

Re: Vitali is considering retirement if he wins tonight's fight

Urban Legend
He might as well. He's 40 years old now. But at this rate he and his brother could reign as champions until they're 50. I think it'll be a long while beforewe have an exciting heavyweight again. Odd because during the 90s boxing was full of prospects.

Re: Vitali is considering retirement if he wins tonight's fight

Rosco
The Klitschkos better not retire. Can you imagine how terrible the heavyweight division would be if they quit? At least for now we have two giants dominating everyone, no matter how boring they are. If they retire, the division will be in permanent disarray. It would be nice if Vitali actually loses tonight. That would shake things up and ensure that he fights on a bit longer.

Re: Vitali is considering retirement if he wins tonight's fight

(sighs) It's sad when a prime 28 year-old heavyweight loses to a 40 year-old.

MUNICH -- Chaos broke out after Vitali Klitschko unanimously outpointed Dereck Chisora to retain his WBC heavyweight belt Saturday night when Chisora got into a brawl with former WBA champion David Haye at the post-match news conference.

Haye called for a fight between the two British boxers, leading to a heated exchange before Chisora descended to face Haye and they came to blows.

Reporters fled while security tried to separate the men.

"You've really lost it this time," Chisora told Haye.

In the ring, Chisora found little support from the sellout crowd of 12,500 after his slap on Klitschko at the weigh-in Friday, and ensured the ill-feeling continued when he spat in the 40-year-old's face as the champion's record was being called out.

Klitschko's younger brother, Wladimir, who holds the IBF and "super" WBA titles as well as the minor WBO and IBO belts, acted as a buffer as Chisora goaded his opponent.

Vitali was clearly incensed, but it took some time before he could assert control against the 28-year-old Briton's aggressive approach. His greater reach and experience made the difference.

The judges scored it 118-110, 118-110 and 119-111.

Klitschko improved his record to 44-2 with the 10th successful defense of the title he won from Corrie Sanders in 2004.

It was arguably the toughest bout he's had since losing on a technical knockout to Lennox Lewis in 2003.

"I'm not proud of my performance tonight because I feel I let my fans down," Klitschko said.

The Zimbabwe-born Chisora dropped to 15-3 after his third loss in his last four fights, but he had fans in Munich's Olympiahalle worried as Klitschko appeared to tire from his relentless attack.

Sensing an upset, they chanted the Ukrainian's name in the seventh round before Klitschko reasserted his dominance with a series of precision blows.

Chisora was bleeding from the lip after the first round, but seemed more than capable of taking Klitschko's repeated punishment.

Klitschko appeared to tire as the rounds progressed, the Briton maintaining the pressure by constantly forcing the initiative.

Klitschko eventually stamped his authority on the bout in the ninth round, catching Chisora with a huge right and seemingly picking his punches at will, and Chisora was hanging on in the 10th.

Chisora gave it everything he had in the 12th and final round as he sought a knockout blow, but Klitschko, knowing the work was already done, used his greater experience to safely see out the round, and maintain family dominance of the heavyweight division.
http://espn.go.com/boxing/story/_/id/7590156/vitali-klitschko-unanimously-outpoints-dereck-chisora-retain-wbc-title

Re: Vitali is considering retirement if he wins tonight's fight

Zombies Ate Me
Kind of reminds me of Lewis handling Vitali when he was shot-to-shit. Vitali didn't look to good but on his worse night beat him handly. Damn.

Re: Vitali is considering retirement if he wins tonight's fight

Shane
Dereck Chisora had the stones to actually punch Vitali at the press conference. You don't attack a Klitschko and expect nothing to happen.

Granted, I think some of you are on to something. Either Vitali is nearing the end of his rope at 40 or just had an off night.