WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Left Hook From Hell...
The most badass stablegroup in WWF history, also launched the career of The Rock!!

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Charles Wright also became the Godfather at this point I believe. Faarooq teamed up with Bradshaw to become the Acolyptes after he was kicked out. This group got a lot of its members on the right track to future success. I don't think it was a better stable than DX or the NWO but it's an important chapter in The Rock's career. I absolutely agree with that.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

One of my favorite wrestling stables for sure...a parody of the Nation of Islam. LOL!

Yeah, Rocky Maivia became The Rock here. After Summerslam '98 the character became so popular that they couldn't keep him a heel no longer. His catchphrases and interviews were too entertaining by that point.

Godfather started bringing out the ladies with him in late July '98 and started getting cheers.

Still, Faarooq's angry rants about "the man" were funny as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCs_ZULqRjk

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

^ It's interesting that you mention the Nation of Islam.

Muhammad Ali is Dwayne Johnson's role model. Even his nickname "The Great One" is similar to The Greatest. Difference is though that Ali did dangerous stuff for real, while The Rock was an entertainer always. Ali fought for real against dangerous guys like Sonny Liston and George Foreman ... The Rock was a fake fighter ... Ali joined the NoI ... The Rock was part of a entertainment stable ... Ali was  known as a good talker, personality, motivational speaker, political comments, mocking opponents ... The Rock was also a good talker and personality, but always comical and surreal ... Ali was part of Hollywood as documentaries and films about his life have been made ... The Rock is part of Hollywood as an entertainer.

So all things considered: Muhammad Ali > The Rock, by far

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Difference is though that Ali could be a superstar even today, while Dwayne couldn't do what he does back then. Wrestling wasn't what it eventually became, and Hollywood had more quality and less marketing, so capable actors were required.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

I agree. Dwayne is an entertainer. Ali was an activist. No comparison, but Dwayne certainly did some of the same things Ali did.

It's kind of funny to watch him do The People's Elbow in 1997 in the early months of 1998. The arena was so quiet! lol. No one cared at the time. No one predicted that it would soon become the most electrifying move in sports entertainment today.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

J.C.
"WE ARE THE NATION....OF DOMINATION!!!"

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Evolution
Faarooq (Ron Simmons) is a real legend. Former professional football player and the first African American World Heavyweight Champion in wrestling history. He's a guy who really paid his dues.

Say what you will but it was Ron Simmons who opened the door for other African American wrestlers to reach the top of the mountain, including The Rock, Mark Henry, Booker T and the others. Everyone in The Nation benefited from their time there, except maybe D'lo who would have become a main eventer if he hadn't paralyzed Droz.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Faarooq (Ron Simmons) is a real legend. Former professional football player and the first African American World Heavyweight Champion in wrestling history. He's a guy who really paid his dues.

Say what you will but it was Ron Simmons who opened the door for other African American wrestlers to reach the top of the mountain, including The Rock, Mark Henry, Booker T and the others. Everyone in The Nation benefited from their time there, except maybe D'lo who would have become a main eventer if he hadn't paralyzed Droz.
Yep. Before Faarooq won that title, blacks were restricted in wrestling. Rocky Johnson (The Rock's dad) was one of the first non-stereotypical black wrestlers. He was popular but his only real WWF accomplishment was winning a tag team title.

The tide didn't finally turn until the '90s. Faarooq was the first black WCW Champion, The Rock was the first black WWF Champion.

Speaking of Faarooq, check out this tribute the WWF made for him when he was inducted into the hall of fame. He almost looked like Billy Dee Williams when he had a jheri curl. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_tKB8zWo7M

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Left Hook From Hell...

If The Nation was supposed to be a "militant" black group, why the hell was Owen Hart there? lmfao. He always stood out to me being in that group. Rocky Maivia stood out a little bit because of his Hawaiian looks but at least we know he was part black.

Duggerman wrote
Speaking of Faarooq, check out this tribute the WWF made for him when he was inducted into the hall of fame. He almost looked like Billy Dee Williams when he had a jheri curl. LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_tKB8zWo7M
Faarooq with long hair? Man oh man you know this was a long time ago! Yeah he does resemble Billy Dee, just bigger and angry.

Ya'll got some good points about The Rock being too charismatic to get booed. Sure they booed him here but they were having a good time. This is hilarious. Dude was so arrogant!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4ZmHCYOgvg

Here's a clip where he humiliated Chyna. Funny shit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJtUI9PFvM

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

If The Nation was supposed to be a "militant" black group, why the hell was Owen Hart there?
When The Rock became the "ruler" of the Nation, it was less about color and more about respect. Honestly he used them to help him keep the Intercontinental title around his waist for 9 months.

You do know that initially wrestlers from all backgrounds were in the NOD, right? That is, until Faarooq fired everyone (except D'lo Brown) and created a "Bigger, BLACKER Nation" turning it into some silly Black Panthers/Nation of Islam spoof. Owen probably wouldn't have been allowed in during Faarooq's leadership.

The Rock did say in his book that he was a bit insulted that the writers just threw him in the Nation because he was black. He requested interview time where he could explain that he didn't join because of his skin color, but because the fans turned on him when he was that nauseating Rocky Maivia character.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

When The Rock became the "ruler" of the Nation, it was less about color and more about respect. Honestly he used them to help him keep the Intercontinental title around his waist for 9 months.
Funny you said that because I just came across this clip. It looks like this was around the time of the group's breakup. Rock was insulting them calling them candyasses and insisting on going to the ring alone. He changed his music too. Where was the Godfather? Had he already left the stable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalWmxoQckg

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Funny you said that because I just came across this clip. It looks like this was around the time of the group's breakup. Rock was insulting them calling them candyasses and insisting on going to the ring alone. He changed his music too. Where was the Godfather? Had he already left the stable?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lalWmxoQckg
I saw this before. This was either late August/September 1998. The Rock started getting huge pops from the crowd after Summerslam that year. After dropping the IC title to HHH he started having matches with main-eventers like Kane, Undertaker, Mankind, etc. You hear the big ovation he got here? They couldn't keep him as a heel mid-carder anymore by this point.

The Godfather first started bringing out ladies with him after Fully Loaded 1998 and started getting cheers. He hung out with the Nation less and less. Later that year, (I think in October) Mark Henry and D'lo attacked him on Sunday Night Heat, which officially ended his association with The Nation.

Owen Hart "retired" and returned months later as The Blue Blazer.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Maximillian
Good thread. I learned a lot here. I will point out that The Rock was cool from '97 when the character began until 2001. The $500 shirts, the swagger, the shades and all that stuff. The man was cool. I think it was around 2002 when he started calling people "Popcorn Farts" and that lame shit. That's when Dwayne ran out of ideas and seemed too "eager" to be liked, whearas in the earlier years the Rock didn't care whether the people cheered or booed him.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Double A

I prefer him with that look. I find him sexier as Rocky Maivia. Today he looks like the hulk. He's a little too much for my taste. As Rocky Maivia I find him very attractive.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Maximillian wrote
Good thread. I learned a lot here. I will point out that The Rock was cool from '97 when the character began until 2001. The $500 shirts, the swagger, the shades and all that stuff. The man was cool. I think it was around 2002 when he started calling people "Popcorn Farts" and that lame shit. That's when Dwayne ran out of ideas and seemed too "eager" to be liked, whearas in the earlier years the Rock didn't care whether the people cheered or booed him.
I feel the same. When he returned in August 2001 for the Invasion storyline he was basically playing Dwayne Johnson and has been ever since. He doesn't talk in the third person anymore and neglects his popular catchphrases from '98-99 like "Roody Poo," "Jabroni" "Candy Ass" "Smackdown Hotel" and all those others, although he still cuts people off sometimes with "IT DOESN'T MATTER!!" I miss the $500 shirts and "rock gear" too.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Alexander
Did anyone else notice that The Rock had the Rock Bottom in his repertoire when he was Rocky Maivia BEFORE joining the Nation of Domination?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ySmXy1fW5U

This is sad to see him get no crowd reaction.
Owen kicked out of the Rock Bottom as if it were nothin.
These days the WWF releases wrestlers when they don't get over.
Back then they were serious about developing characters.

Back then they were serious about developing characters.
The Nation was powerful. I loved these cats.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Thanks for the info, I have never known that Ron Simmons is such a high achiever.

When I started watching, the Rock was already at the main event.

Ron Simmons became the Acolytes.

Re: WWF, Bring back The NATION OF DOMINATION!!!

Alexander wrote
Did anyone else notice that The Rock had the Rock Bottom in his repertoire when he was Rocky Maivia BEFORE joining the Nation of Domination?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ySmXy1fW5U

This is sad to see him get no crowd reaction.
Owen kicked out of the Rock Bottom as if it were nothin.
These days the WWF releases wrestlers when they don't get over.
Back then they were serious about developing characters.
It's like the twilight zone to see the finishing moves of today only get a two-count. If you watch any Jeff Hardy match from 1999, everyone kicked out of the Swanton Bomb as if it didn't hurt. One year later the move was "devastating" and always got the three count.
12