What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

Evan Fields
GatorPurify wrote
Joe should of finished Bugner off when he knocked him down. He hit Bugner with a hard left hook but it was a delayed reaction. Frazier threw another left but stopped before it landed. Had he threw another left the fight would of been over. Frazier is definitely a sportsman, but he should of sent Bugner out.
Yah. And since he left Bugner survive he had to fight two more rounds.

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

It's amazing that Frazier pulled off the performance he did in Manilla. By that point, he was completely blind in one eye and suffering from arthritis. Without the use of frequent cortisone shots, he couldn't sling his signature left hook.

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

Urban Legend
Joe Frazier was blind before he even turned pro. You didn't know that?

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

Really?  COMPLETELY blind in one eye by then?
Yeah. He was blind as early as 1964. They talk about it on this special. "Joe Frazier Sports Century."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9TwuE-N_P8

EDIT: I see Urban Legend beat me to it. Nice avatar, by the way. I love me some bubble booty.

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

Really?  COMPLETELY blind in one eye by then?
Yes. He went in great detail about this in his autobiography. He shouldn't have been allowed to box, but he would fool the eye doctors by switching hands instead of switching eyes when he read the chart tests.

That's another reason why I respect Frazier so much. He was one of the greatest of all time, and only had one eye to work with. That's partially why he used the left hook to much...it kept you in range of his good eye.

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

Big Red
He lost some of his edge but made up for it by adding a brutal right hand to his arsenal. And who could forget Manila? A lot of guys wouldn’t have survived against him that night, and he wasn’t in his prime anymore. That says something.

Also they say Joe wasn’t the same after the FOTC. I disagree. They mainly say that because of the Foreman disaster. I didn’t notice a dip in his skills until maybe the Bugner fight.

Re: What did you think of Joe Frazier after 1971?

I noticed that Smokin Joe was generally the most vicious when he fought Ali because of his true hatred of the man, although some of his fights (Foster, Ellis, Quarry, etc) are notable exceptions. I think he had the heat cranked all the way up during those fights. He was always brutal but didn’t destroy guys like Terry Daniel with the same level of rage.
12