What do you do when a source wishes to be "anoynomous?"

What do you do when a source wishes to be "anoynomous?"

Faith
Is there some legal obligation? I've heard of some journalists who have went to jail to protect their sources.

Re: What do you do when a source wishes to be "anoynomous?"

Depends on the publication. Some papers demand to know the identity, but it will be kept secret among the staff. But I think this is to ensure that the reporter isn't fabricating.

I've never been in a situation where it was "life or death" to protect a source's identity. I've had people who did not want to be mentioned or quoted in an article, and I respected their wishes by paraphrasing the information that they told me.

Re: What do you do when a source wishes to be "anoynomous?"

Becky
"Deepthroat" is probably the most famous "mystery" source of all time, and we only recently found out who he is.

Re: What do you do when a source wishes to be "anoynomous?"

Thankfully I haven't been in a situation where I'd risk jail time for protecting a source. I just write for Tennessee newspapers. I'm not caught up in world affairs and put in dangerous positions. I'm not an investigative reporter or anything like that. I don't plan on ever getting involved in all that.

Re: What do you do when a source wishes to be "anoynomous?"

Deepthroat wanted anonymity and with good reason! Mark Felt was one of my dad's guesses. Him or William Colby.