What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

Left Hook From Hell...
Question for the trainers and fighters here: What is the single most important punch to throw in the boxing ring? I know each punch is important but there has to be one that is more vital than others. George Foreman said while commentating a fight (I forget which one) that the jab is the best punch in boxing. He didn't go into detail but said it with such conviction. Is a jab more important than a left hook? Is a body punch better than an uppercut? Explain.

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

I'm no boxer or trainer. However, from what I gather, the left jab is the most important punch. Think of everything the jab accomplishes. You can use the jab to create or gauge distance, open cuts on your opponent's face, score points and follow up with combinations.

I would say the left hook is the second most important punch. According to Joe Frazier and Floyd Patterson, it was the most dangerous and important punch to throw because you can throw it without opening yourself up too much.

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

I'm no boxer or trainer. However, from what I gather, the left jab is the most important punch. Think of everything the jab accomplishes. You can use the jab to create or gauge distance, open cuts on your opponent's face, score points and follow up with combinations.

I would say the left hook is the second most important punch. According to Joe Frazier and Floyd Patterson, it was the most dangerous and important punch to throw because you can throw it without opening yourself up too much.
The jab is the most important punch because of what you stated. If you have a decent enough jab you  might have a good career. A good jab will take you far.

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

J.C.
Jabs and body punches. Both can wear you down over the long haul and set you up for knockout punches.

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

BAD INTENTIONS
I can't stretch the importance of the jab enough...The jab doesn’t end fights, but it sets up everything that does....Jabs keep your opponent busy and force them to play defense versus thinking necessarily about their own offense.

Some of the best boxers in history lacked in many areas but had great success simply because they had a good jab...Muhammad Ali could not parry, block a jab, and made a lot of other mistakes but because he had such a fast and accurate J-A-B he was tough to fight.

Larry Holmes had the best jab of them all but imagine if he didn't own such a jab? Good chin or not, we probably would not be talking about him today

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

Left Hook From Hell...
Hmm. Solid reasoning by all. Bad Intentions, you train boxers right? Is the jab the first punch you teach people? What about MMA? Is the jab as important there as it is in boxing?

No one has mentioned uppercuts yet. I've heard it referred to as the most "underrated" punch in boxing. Any truth to this?

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

No one has mentioned uppercuts yet. I've heard it referred to as the most "underrated" punch in boxing. Any truth to this?
Underrated, yes. But if you're a tall man, the uppercut leaves you wide open for a hook. Evander Holyfield won the heavyweight title for the first time by smashing Buster Douglas with a right hook when he went for an ill-timed uppercut. Likewise, Joe Frazier knocked Muhammad Ali down in the 15th round in The Fight of The Century when Ali attempted an uppercut.

You have to have short arms and perfect timing to land an uppercut flush nearly everytime. That's why Mike Tyson was so good at it. And since he was small, he didn't leave himself open when he threw it.

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

Evolution
The most important punches are the jab and the left hook.

Duggerman wrote
Underrated, yes. But if you're a tall man, the uppercut leaves you wide open for a hook. Evander Holyfield won the heavyweight title for the first time by smashing Buster Douglas with a right hook when he went for an ill-timed uppercut. Likewise, Joe Frazier knocked Muhammad Ali down in the 15th round in The Fight of The Century when Ali attempted an uppercut.
That's the reason I neglected the uppercut especially against smaller opponents. Evander always saw me drop my hand to throw it and would crack me with a mean left hook each time...

My sunday punch was the straight right but I had a decent jab..

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

Uppercut is the hardest to use. It could backfire if you don't use it well.

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

Kid Dynamite
I can only speak for myself. I was a peek-a-boo fighter and for us it's the left hook. It's the perfect power punch to throw in offensive and defensive situations. It's a good punch to have when you're in close. Jabbing your way in is also quite effective but the left hook is the shining jewel in the arsenal for that style. The jab is the best punch if you're a boxer, boxer-puncher or counterpuncher.

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

Left Hook From Hell...
Kid Dynamite wrote
I can only speak for myself. I was a peek-a-boo fighter and for us it's the left hook. It's the perfect power punch to throw in offensive and defensive situations. It's a good punch to have when you're in close. Jabbing your way in is also quite effective but the left hook is the shining jewel in the arsenal for that style. The jab is the best punch if you're a boxer, boxer-puncher or counterpuncher.
So different styles may have a unique "most important punch?" I didn't realize that. So I'll bet the left hook was Joe Frazier's most important punch. Was the left hook the most important punch for all swarmers?

And what style did Evander Holyfield have? I can't finger what his style was. He was unique that way.

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

 what style did Evander Holyfield have?
Impregnator

Re: What's the most IMPORTANT punch in boxing?

Rosco
Urban Legend wrote
Left Hook From Hell... wrote
 what style did Evander Holyfield have?
Impregnator
Hahahahahahahahaha. Ain't that the truth