Where does boxing rank among other sports?

Where does boxing rank among other sports?

KB50MJ
I was watching some football games today and almost everyone I know were watching them. Considering I live in NY and the Giants were one of the teams playing. But it got me thinking, almost everyone is watching football, basketball, baseball, etc. Football being the #1 sport for I don't know how long. And the lack of real excitement and American talent is killing boxing right now in the US. But in almost every other country Boxing is still a BIG deal and is probably more popular than the sports I mentioned above. But in the US I NEVER hear people talk about boxing except for when Manny P. Or Floyd M. are fighting. My brother watches ESPN all the time and I've never seen them talk about boxing. Even on sports websites boxing is not one of the highlighted sports, its usually stashed away in some sub-category. Its almost like boxing is irrelevant in the US now.

But what about in the past? This is to all the older boxing fans that would remember, because I'm only 18. Back in the day in the 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's, and even the 90's. Was boxing popular back in those times as Football is today? Where did boxing rank in comparison to all the other sports back then in terms of popularity?

Re: Where does boxing rank among other sports?

I'm an 80s baby, but I can tell you that boxing used to be a huge deal. In fact, it was bigger than what football is today.

The rematch between Joe Louis and Max Schmeling was watched by the entire world. For the first time, a black athlete (Joe Louis) was universally recognized as an American. When he knocked out Schmeling in the first round, he sent a powerful message to Nazi-Germany. The entire world stopped to watch that fight.

Boxing was still a big deal just 10 years ago when Lennox fought Tyson. I had never seen so many celebrities in Memphis before. Halle Berry, Brittany Spears, Samuel L. Jackson, Vince McMahon, Cuba Gooding Jr, The Rock, George Foreman, Evander Holyfield, Vivica A. Fox, and I could keep going. It's like Hollywood stayed overnight in Memphis to watch the fight. Do countless celebrities come out to watch football? Maybe they do but nothing captured the imagination of a legendary fight night.

Oh, Ali-Frazier 1 was a big event, too. They named it the Fight of the Century for a reason. Diana Ross, Elizabeth Taylor, Frank Sinatra, etc. Everyone was there. Boxing was always a popular sport, especially when Joe Louis, Jack Dempsey, Muhammad Ali and Mike Tyson were fighting. Boxing sucks these days, and the title holders are not exciting to watch.

Re: Where does boxing rank among other sports?

49-0
Everybody used to watch boxing. It's been around for over 200 years now. There have always been low points but since Lennox and Tyson retired, it has been awful. We need a savior for the heavyweights. Everyone put their faith in David Haye and we saw how that turned out. Manny and Floyd need to fight each other and get it over with. I'd also like to see Chris Bryd fight Vitali again but Chris is over the hill. Vitali would kill him.

[...]

Boxing used to be the most exciting sport around. Today feels like the twilight zone because boxing is ignored.