Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Lewis was obviously washed up by the time they fought in 2003, and the one year lay-off since facing Tyson didn't help matters. I think Lewis retired because he knew he was over the hill. However, he beat Vitali fair and square. The champ was an accurate puncher. He threw a punch above his opponent's eye to open a cut and it did. In my opinion, Lewis was on the losing end when the fight was stopped, but he won the fight and finally sealed his impressive career. If they had fought again, Lewis would have lost. But the funny thing is that if they had fought a year earlier, Vitali would have been easy pickings for Lewis.
If there was a rematch, who takes it?

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Shane
So, when it came time for me to see if I should fight Klitschko again, I thought - at my worst, at my worst! I beat Klitschko and look what I did to his face! I was at my worst - just think [what would’ve happened] if I’d trained just a little bit harder. I didn’t need to fight him again
-Lennox Lewis

I think Lennox was past it, too. And you proved a good point. Klitschko would have been humilated by the Lennox Lewis who beat down Mike Tyson the year before. It's funny how boxers suddenly get old in the ring.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

L.L. technically won the fight, but he knows in his heart he was outmatched. I agree with both you; if Vitali had fought Lennox a year or two earlier, he'd have gotten hurt badly. Lennox in his prime was one of the best heavyweights ever. I think L.L. should have retired after the Tyson fight rather than holding onto his belts for a year. But it is what it is. He knew he'd have been no match at all for a prime Vitali in a rematch. Hey AJ, how did L.L. get his hair to look like that in his fights? You have dreads, so I'm sure you know. (I hope this doesn't make me sound gay..asking about a man's hair.)

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Urban Legend
Lennow would have won the rematch, I believe. Vitali barely beat Lennox when he was out of shape. If Lennox had been more prepared and in shape, Vitali would be outta there quick.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

The Greatest wrote
 Hey AJ, how did L.L. get his hair to look like that in his fights? You have dreads, so I'm sure you know. (I hope this doesn't make me sound gay..asking about a man's hair.)
He braided his dreads into a bun. I've done that before. It kept his hair out of the way, but they were starting to unravel at the end of the fight. Vitali really put it on him.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Vitali Klitschko vs Lennox Lewis

THE TRUTH

Vitali was clearly winning the fight 4-2 on all 3 scorecards at the time of the controversial doctor stoppage. Lewis was badly hurt and was staggering around the ring like a drunk, he barely survived the 2nd round. Lewis was getting outboxed, outworked, outlanded and was hurt several times in the fight.

punches landed

Vitali 156

Lewis 102

Lewis was exhausted and worn down from the accumulation of punches, he collapsed onto his stool at the end of the 6th round, Vitali was the fresher of the two, he was a man on a mission and would've KO'd Lewis for sure if the fight had continued.

Vitali intimidated the **** out of the scared Lewis after the fight and made him look like a *****. All the fans at Staples Center cheered for Vitali and boo'd Lewis after the fight.

Lewis promised Vitali a rematch.

Vitali destroyed Kirk Johnson in 2 rounds and called out Lewis in the post fight interview. The scared Lewis retired shortly after that fight.

Lewis turned down 25 million dollars for a rematch and retired like a coward because he knew he would get destroyed by Vitali.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

The Gr8 One wrote
Lewis turned down 25 million dollars for a rematch and retired like a coward because he knew he would get destroyed by Vitali.
Lewis also said that he had nothing else to prove and his mission was complete. He was right. He had already beaten everybody, and Tyson was the last name he conquered. He was also financially sound. If you're almost 40 years old, why risk your legacy against a hungry young fighter? Lennox was a three time world champ, and the second man to unify all three of the heavyweight championships. He had nothing else to prove.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Lennox Lewis followed in the steps of Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano by retiring at the very top of his game. A wise man knows when to hang it up.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Shane
The Gr8 One wrote
I like that. lol.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Evolution
Lennox gave a half assed performance that night and then walked away the victor with his heavyweight champion intact. The best Lennox would always beat the best Vitali. I applaud Lennox for not returning to hurt his legacy by risking a rematch with a much younger opponent. I've told him this as well. He isn't coming back to the ring.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Rosco
Nah, the only people that hold a grudge against Lennox today are the Vitali nuthuggers on ESB who are in denial over both the result of the fight and Vitali's lack of a legacy. I was personally dissapointed at the time because:

1) It was very entertaining while it lasted and a sequel was much desired
2) Lewis initially appeared to be open to a rematch
3) Lewis waited until Vitali destroyed Kirk Johnson (whom Vitali subbed for to begin with) inside of two in the WBC Eliminator and was given a deadline before making his decision
4) Lewis even at 37 was very much an elite fighter and had he dropped the extra weight he carried in the first fight, he couldve just as easily KO'ed Vitali clean without a morsel of doubt as to the result.

You know what, though? Lewis had nothing left to prove. He was past his best. It was only his hide and health on the line, and he had every right to hang up his gloves.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Zombies Ate Me
At the time I was disappointed the rematch didn't happen. A clash of the giants, it was hugely anticipated. But Lennox was old, he was old against Tyson and really looked his age a year later against Vitali. For the Vitali fight he was not only 37 but it was after the longest lay off of his career, where he was pretty much semi-retired. He would be 38 for any rematch. He talked about retiring as early as 2000 but hung on for paydays. He no longer had the stamina and was losing speed. He would have to train his ass off for a rematch too as Vitali would push him all the way. The Vitali rematch simply didn't generate enough money for the effort it was worth to Lennox

Lennox interview, talks about the Vitali fight around 6:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LFNjWLHbOk&feature=related

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Evan Fields
Lennox enjoyed manipulating the media after that fight. When asked if he wanted a fight with Wladimir he said this crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHRAH_yfhxQ

And then a few months later this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1XcFbLCjjA&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Urban Legend
The Gr8 One wrote
Lennox enjoyed manipulating the media after that fight. When asked if he wanted a fight with Wladimir he said this crap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHRAH_yfhxQ

And then a few months later this happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1XcFbLCjjA&feature=endscreen&NR=1
Yah. Lennox played the guessing game starting after he knocked out Tyson. He never announced whether he was interested in retiring or keeping it going. He just sat on the belts for a year, got stripped of two of them, and was forced to finally take a fight with Kirk Johnson who was replaced at the last second by Vitali Klitschko.

I personally think he knew he was gonna retire after that fight all along, but wanted to talk trash since he hadn't officially hung up the gloves yet.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Evolution
Even though Lennox was out of shape and past it, this was still a good fight. Talk about a six round war!! Fans were itching for a rematch and I was among them. Vitali would have won the rematch if it'd happened. Lennox was over the hill and barely survived the first fight. Thats why he retired when he did. With the big Klitschkos and Chris Bryd around, Lennox knew his era was over.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

the boston strong boy
if lewis trained lewis would win probably by tko round 8 or 9

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

It's Dale
the boston strong boy wrote
if lewis trained lewis would win probably by tko round 8 or 9
Well, Lennox didn't train well and scored a tko in round 6.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Kid Dynamite
I think Lennox would still beat him. Vitali's tender skin would bleed just as it did in their actual fight. If Lennox had been in proper shape and trained more he would have done better. A better prepared Lennox would win more convincingly in the rematch.

Re: Who Would Have Won A Rematch Between Vitali and Lewis?

Lewis was obviously washed up by the time they fought in 2003, and the one year lay-off since facing Tyson didn't help matters. I think Lewis retired because he knew he was over the hill. However, he beat Vitali fair and square. The champ was an accurate puncher. He threw a punch above his opponent's eye to open a cut and it did. In my opinion, Lewis was on the losing end when the fight was stopped, but he won the fight and finally sealed his impressive career. If they had fought again, Lewis would have lost. But the funny thing is that if they had fought a year earlier, Vitali would have been easy pickings for Lewis.
Vitali certainly proved his chin during this fight. He withstood the same uppercut from Lennox that finished Michael Grant and detered Mike Tyson. A rematch would have been good but I'd bet on Vitali. Lennox was too old by this time. His only chance of winning would be to win by opening another bad cut, which could still very well happen. But I'd still bet on Vitali to win by knockout before Lennox got that chance.
12345