Who hit harder between Joe Louis and Mike Tyson

Who hit harder between Joe Louis and Mike Tyson

Zorro
I honestly feel that Joe Louis hit a little harder, or it was even.
Harder Puncher?

Re: Who hit harder between Joe Louis and Mike Tyson

Joe Kingman
Administrator
Probably Tyson, although it's close...

-Joe Kingman

Re: Who hit harder between Joe Louis and Mike Tyson

Re: Who hit harder between Joe Louis and Mike Tyson

Friday The 13th...
In the video I just posted, watch closely. I think Joe was the best pure puncher to ever live.

Re: Who hit harder between Joe Louis and Mike Tyson

Joe Kingman wrote
Probably Tyson, although it's close...

-Joe Kingman
I feel the same. Louis had the better jab, but Tyson had the better hooks and uppercuts. You could say Louis had the better right cross (as evidenced by the video Friday shared). But overall Tyson hit harder, I believe. With the exception of Foreman, Tyson had power we'd never seen before. That's why he was such a young phenomenon.

Re: r

I agree with everything so far in this thread

Except that Tyson absolutely did not hit the second hardest ever
He hit very hard: but it was the combination of outlandish speed at his size + boxing skills + excellent power that made him so good so young

First, I didn’t mean literally that Tyson only came behind Foreman as the hardest hitter. I’m just saying that the shock value of his power captured the imagination of the public. The vicious way Tyson knocked fools out was something people had never seen before. Do you understand what I mean now? Of course there were plenty of guys that hit harder than Tyson. I wasn’t being literal.

Re: r

I figured you didn’t mean it literally.

Re: r

Evan Fields
I voted for Mike. I think he hit harder with one punch than Lennox did.

The real question is who was the better finisher?

Re: r

Hit Em' Hard
Evan Fields wrote
I voted for Mike. I think he hit harder with one punch than Lennox did.

The real question is who was the better finisher?
I think we have a thread on that somewhere.

Re: r

Phantom Punch wrote

First, I didn’t mean literally that Tyson only came behind Foreman as the hardest hitter. I’m just saying that the shock value of his power captured the imagination of the public. The vicious way Tyson knocked fools out was something people had never seen before. Do you understand what I mean now? Of course there were plenty of guys that hit harder than Tyson. I wasn’t being literal.
Yeah...everyone was talking about Kid Dynamite and his unreal power when he burst on the scene..

Re: Who hit harder between Joe Louis and Mike Tyson

Friday The 13th... wrote
In the video I just posted, watch closely. I think Joe was the best pure puncher to ever live.
He was perfect. I absolutely agree. I do feel that Tyson probably hit harder but it's hard to gauge considering their opponents and time periods.

Joe had to carry his white opponents during his youth. Tyson, on the other hand, didn't have to carry anybody. He could come out and blitz right away. Joe was emerging from the shadow of Jack Johnson and could only do an early knockout if A) the opponent was a threat to him or hurt him, like Galento or Baer
B) If white America wanted an early knockout, as was the case with Schmeling or C) If the opponent was black.

For these reasons and several others I do not see Mike Tyson doing well in Joe's era. With Tyson's style he can't afford to carry guys for lengthy rounds, and if he kayoed them early he could have easily started race riots.

I think Joe Louis was the perfect heavyweight champion for that era. Ali and Tyson would have literally gotten themselves killed.

Re: Who hit harder between Joe Louis and Mike Tyson

^^You could argue that Louis would be too small to be a heavyweight in the modern era. At his peak he weighed a little under 200 pounds (198 during the Schmeling rematch).

But what impresses me is that although he bulked up a lot after WWII, it didn't hurt his style, his speed or his punch. When most guys go up in weight it may affect them, particularly their movement and reflexes.

But Joe Louis at 211 pounds versus Tami Mauriello was just as deadly as the Joe Louis at 198 pounds who destroyed Schmeling. Same exact fighter, just bigger. Joe weighed 213 when he fought Marciano (the highest weight of his career) but Rocky would have crushed him that night no matter how much Joe weighed. Louis was a finished fighter by that point.

It'd still be interesting to see Louis in the Tyson era. Does he reign for 11 years and have 25 title defenses against those fighters? I'd like to believe so. Putting him against someone like Riddick Bowe and Lennox Lewis would be the real test. I know Louis knocked out guys their size and bigger, but guys like Primo Carnera and Buddy Baer weren't half as good as Lewis and Bowe.