Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

It’s a damn good question, and a damn good video!

Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/quMrjVBJyMA

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

Good video, and good points all around.  As the video states, it gets really subjective when you consider longevity, competition, etc.  And, there's just a lot of gut feeling involved.  My list is the following:

1.  Wlad Klitschko - he had the best of everything, except not the strongest competition (although compared to today, it's not looking that bad either).  He dominated almost all of his fights by a wide margin.

2. Lennox Lewis - Not much needs to be said.  He dominated the division and faced great competition all his career.  He started and ended his career pretty much at the top.  The only reason I put him below Wlad is that Lennox struggled more with a few opponents in his career, even though he won most of his fights.  Wlad hardly ever struggled except at the end of his career.  Wlad seemed to be at a whole class higher than most of his opponents, whereas Lewis seemed to be in the same class with a few of them of them, even during his prime.

3. Vitali Klitschko - Due to injuries his career was cut short.  This ranking is based mostly on gut feeling.  I think if he was around Lewis' time he would have been at least as good as Lewis and arguably better.  Even more so if he had Emanuel Steward training him from the start.  Again, because of the number of fights he had, and his competition, I can't rate him higher than this.

4.  Evander Holyfield - He is also a wild card.  He took on a lot of serious contenders and usually came out on top.  His second career really hurts his portfolio, but that aside, a 90s Holyfield was either the best or 2nd best fighter of the 90s.

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

Zombies Ate Me
Tyson is the most exciting since Ali; but Lewis has the best record since Ali. You could argue that outside of the "big three" (Liston, Foreman, Frazier) Lewis and Ali are about even in terms of the competition they beat.

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

Shane
Larry Holmes, both in terms of his consistency, his chin and courage in the ring, and the fact that he likely would beat most of the other post-Ali opponents head to head.

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

Will69
Holmes was the best in his time, and is an ATG, but I beg to differ that he'd beat most other opponents head to head.  I think, even a prime Holmes would not win over a prime Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Klits and possibly a very few others.  He'd maybe win over a Foreman 2.0, but less likely against a prime Foreman.

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

Shane
Will69 wrote
Holmes was the best in his time, and is an ATG, but I beg to differ that he'd beat most other opponents head to head.  I think, even a prime Holmes would not win over a prime Tyson, Holyfield, Lewis, Klits and possibly a very few others.  He'd maybe win over a Foreman 2.0, but less likely against a prime Foreman.

Well, you gotta rememeber that old Holmes gave a young prime Evander a real boxing lesson. That tells you right off who would win in their primes. Holmes had a good strategy against Holyfield - he laid on the ropes and countered Holyfield when he dived in to attack. It worked, but Evander never tired and landed more as a result and got the win. A prime Larry would have been much more active, and would probably trick Evander into a shootout war, and Larry could really outbox him with more ease then.

Old holmes also did well with Tyson until he got caught, and it took three knockdowns for Tyson to knock him out. Seeing Tyson srtuggle with tall men with jabs leads me to feel that LArry frustrates and beats prime Tyson.

Lennox was outfought by old Holyfield, who would use similar tactics to a young Holmes. Get in and out, pop the jab, etc. It made Lewis uneasy. He won the fight but looked bad getting schooled by an old man. I see Larry outfighting Lewis and he had the chin to withstand his right hand.

I see LArry beating the Klitz too. Netheir one of them fought anyone with skill on the level of Larry Holmes.

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

BIG BAD BIONIC BOY
This won't be popular but I say Wladimir. He beat Larry's number of title defenses and is second only to Joe Louis. The Klitschko era was a real domination. Wlad had the whole division on lockdown.

Lennox fought and beat better competition but was never quite on a roll like Wlad was; Lewis got derailed during his first two title reigns. Evander Holyfield was great too but lost too many fights, though he won many important ones too.

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

It’s a subjective answer, really. But I have to go with Lewis. Holmes and Wlad are close seconds though. They had great reigns but didn’t beat the steep competition Ali did.

Re: Who is the best heavyweight since Ali? (Video Documentary)

Urban Legend
Larry Holmes