Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

I was born in March of 1986. Pinklon Thomas was the WBC Champion, Michael Spinks was the IBF champ, and Tim Witherspoon was the WBA champ.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

KB50MJ
I was born July of 1993. Riddick Bowe was the IBF and WBA champ. Lennox Lewis was the WBC champ. And Tommy Morrison was the WBO champ.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Zorro
I was born in January 1956, just a few months before Rocky Marciano retired as heavyweight champion.

I feel for you younger guys. There was no real champion when you were born, just different title holders.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Rosco
I was born in May 1990. Damn, James Buster Douglas was the champion then.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Evan Fields
Rosco wrote
I was born in May 1990. Damn, James Buster Douglas was the champion then.

He wasn't just the champ...he was the UNDISPUTED Heavyweight Champion of the WORLD!! He had all of the belts.

I was born in September 1983. Larry Holmes was the champion. I believe he dispatched Marvis Frazier that year.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Evolution
December 1970...Smokin Joe Frazier was champ. Good friend and an even better man. RIP.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Shane
I'm a decade behind ya brother. August 1980, Larry Holmes was the man.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Zombies Ate Me
July 1987. Was it Mike Tyson?

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Zombies Ate Me wrote
July 1987. Was it Mike Tyson?
Bonecrusher Smith was still the WBA champ, but Tyson had the rest of the belts. (WBC & IBF) Michael Spinks was still the lineal champion at the time.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Hit Em' Hard
This is a fun thread. I was born on Halloween 1993, the day Lewis KO'd Razor Ruddock in two rounds for the WBC Heavyweight Championship. So the title changed hands on the night I was born. Awesome!! Didn't Riddick Bowe have the other titles at this time? Or had Holyfield won them back yet?

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

BAD INTENTIONS
I was born in 1968.... Joe Frazier was the New York State Heavyweight Champion and that was the only active championship at the time because Ali's belt was vacated and the tournament to find his successor was not complete yet.

Hit Em' Hard wrote
This is a fun thread. I was born on Halloween 1993, the day Lewis KO'd Razor Ruddock in two rounds for the WBC Heavyweight Championship. So the title changed hands on the night I was born. Awesome!! Didn't Riddick Bowe have the other titles at this time? Or had Holyfield won them back yet?
Lewis knocked out Ruddock on Halloween 1992, a year before you were born..... And the title didn't change hands that night...Bowe was still the undisputed champion. The Ruddock-Lewis fight was a title eliminator bout to decide who would face Bowe for the WBC Championship....when Lewis won, Bowe threw the belt in the trash and Lewis was awarded the title that December.

Evander defeated Bowe to win the belts back on November 6, 1993.... Therefore when you were born, Bowe and Lennox were title-holders.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

WBA: Tyson
WBC: Tyson
IBF: Tyson

~ me and Tyson, that's what was going on back in 1989 bitches.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

George Jefferson
1965, Muhammad Ali was the champ. I remember my brother taking me to see the Computer Fight between Ali and Marciano in the theater.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Shogun of Harlem
February 1959. Floyd Patterson.

Evander defeated Bowe to win the belts back on November 6, 1993.... Therefore when you were born, Bowe and Lennox were title-holders.
Don't I feel like a dumbass! lol. I hate that alphabet soup crap. Most of you that were born before 1978 just had one heavyweight champion. Ernie Terrell said "How is it that we have 4 world heavyweight titles and only one world?" I agree. We need one title.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

1961 A favorite of mine Floyd Patterson was champion. Of course lost the title to Liston a year later, having dropped the services of Cus D'Amato. I read Cus didn't want Floyd to fight Liston because of his connection to the mob, or is the truth Cus knew he couldn't win?

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Maximillian
precious wrote
1961 A favorite of mine Floyd Patterson was champion. Of course lost the title to Liston a year later, having dropped the services of Cus D'Amato. I read Cus didn't want Floyd to fight Liston because of his connection to the mob, or is the truth Cus knew he couldn't win?
I read somewhere that Cus knew Patterson wouldn't win. In fact everyone knew. The mob connection story was just a smoke screen.

I was born in 1969, so I'm assuming Joe Frazier was the champion.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

precious wrote
1961 A favorite of mine Floyd Patterson was champion. Of course lost the title to Liston a year later, having dropped the services of Cus D'Amato. I read Cus didn't want Floyd to fight Liston because of his connection to the mob, or is the truth Cus knew he couldn't win?
Cus knew Floyd couldn't win. I think everyone knew, even Floyd himself! Cus wanted Floyd to defend the title against tomato cans and have an easy run as champion. Whether people said it aloud or not, they knew Sonny would crush Floyd. And they did not want Sonny Liston as the heavyweight champion.

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

Friday The 13th...
Rocky Balboa

Re: Who was heavyweight champion the year you were born

49-0 I think everyone knew, even Floyd himself!

You are probably right, that would make Floyd even more admirable, with all that was at stake, a kind of personal sacrifice on his part just to do the right thing.
12