Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

Sivul
They were both tough ruthless warriors in the ring. But who was tougher? And why?

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

That's a good question...one of the best I've heard in a while.

Jack literally fought to eat during his hobo days. He fought like a possessed bulldog. He was one of the most savage and fierce animals to ever set in a boxing ring.

But then again, Rocky had a similar mentality. Jack (like most guys) eventually lost focus and got careless. He suffered some defeats as a result. Rocky didn't sit on the title for a few years to go to Hollywood and get a nose job, but Jack did. Rocky was determined to be the absolute best heavyweight in the world at that time and he accomplished that.

So I say Rocky was tougher. He had more focus overall.

Yes. Jack was more of a front runner. Rocky Marciano was the real thing. There was depth and longevity to his toughness.

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

Good thoughts, guys. Ironically, while I feel that Rocky was the tougher man overall, I still pick Dempsey to beat him if they fought.

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

Eh, I would be less afraid of Rocky because there's a gentle soft spoken man under that mean glare. But Dempsey? The man was ruthless and would kill his own mama in the ring.

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

The amount of damage done to Vingo, showed that Rocky is more dangerous in the ring.

I don't recall Jack Dempsey ever beat his opponent until like that...

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

Shane
Rocky looked crude but he was harder to fight than he looked. Jack had the faster hands and overall attack but was more of a "left hooker." Rocky was lethal with both fists and a non-stop punching machine. I gotta give this one to Rocky..

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

Jack Dempsey was unbelievably savage. They had different attacks. Rocky wore you out after rounds of attrition (or he could crush you at any point with a knockout blow) while JD came right after you determined to kill you. Rocky has the better record but head to head Dempsey beats him, and was tougher in my opinion. He also beat up much bigger guys, something Rocky rarely had the chance to do.

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

It's Dale
They both had a "never say die" attitude. I don't know though. I don't see Marciano losing to Tunney. Dempsey lost to him twice. However, I don't see Rocky ever losing his edge and focus the way Dempsey did. So I say Rocky was the tougher between the two.

Re: Who was tougher? Marciano or Dempsey?

Friday The 13th...
Rocky was beatable, in my opinion. It just never happened. He never met the right guy. Dempsey obviously was beatable, but he looked great against better competition than Rocky and bigger guys. We knock Dempsey could take a punch from/knock out the giants. But could Rocky? We'll never know because he beat up guys up in age and they were close to him in height.