Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

redfeng007
According to Wiki,

Ruddock hoped to fight Evander Holyfield (fresh from a KO win over James 'Buster' Douglas for the heavyweight championship).

Instead, Holyfield opted to fight 42-year-old George Foreman.

At least Donovan had two good fights with Tyson. He actually could take Tyson's punch well. He also hurt Tyson at one time.

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/aUAG1bjht40%26start=0027&autoplay=1

https://youtube.googleapis.com/v/lcVJVvDTJeo%26start=0025&autoplay=1

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Hit Em' Hard
Because Holyfield was a chump champion who preferred to fight old men instead of the young, fit challenger who would have beat him.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Rosco
Hit Em' Hard wrote
Because Holyfield was a chump champion who preferred to fight old men instead of the young, fit challenger who would have beat him.
Evander was chicken indeed. I do think he'd beat Ruddock though. I guess he just preferred easy title defenses.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Zorro
I was disappointed that this fight didn't happen. Razor appeared to be more than deserving of a title opportunity. I wasn't sold on Evander Holyfield until the first Riddick Bowe fight, which he actually lost. But before that he wasn't a great heavyweight to me, but one of the best crusierweights ever.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Actually whoever won the rematch between Tyson and Ruddock was in line to get a shot at Evander. The winner was Tyson so he was about to fight Evander but went to jail before the fight could take place.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Evander was a much better heavyweight champion during his third run - beating Tyson for the WBA title in '96 and then whooping Michael Moorer for the IBF belt the next year. He was on a roll until running into Lennox Lewis for the title unification bouts in '99. He was in his late thirties then and past his best.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Evander was a much better heavyweight champion during his third run - beating Tyson for the WBA title in '96 and then whooping Michael Moorer for the IBF belt the next year. He was on a roll until running into Lennox Lewis for the title unification bouts in '99. He was in his late thirties then and past his best.
Yes. He was a terrible champion during his first run especially, fighting only old men (Holmes and Foreman) and a journeyman (Cooper) before losing to Bowe. He obviously wanted no part of Ruddock.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

KB50MJ
Tyson actually talks about this fight here:

http://youtu.be/px7GEvZy7oM?t=5m42s

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Shame. It's one of the best slugfests we never saw. I'm also surprised they never fought later in the decade, though the fight would be less important at that time, and Razor declined after the Tyson fights.
Luc

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Luc
I think maybe Holyfield ducked Ruddock and considered him to be too unorthodox and dangerous.

 Holyfield struggled against certain kinds of fighter. He had a strange habit of being beaten or hurt unexpectedly by awkward opponents. Ruiz, Moorer, Bert Cooper and later James Toney - the latter of which was just a bloated middleweight who outclassed him and knocked him out.

I think maybe Ruddock be one of those awkward opponents

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Sivul
Luc wrote

Interesting point, although to be fair, Holy was past his prime when he fought Toney and Ruiz. He hurt his shoulder against Moorer in the first fight, and he was asking for that knockdown against Bert Cooper. Did you notice how he didn't bother to dodge? Even the commentators noticed that after he pounded Bert, he wouldn't move. He just waited to get hit back. And as a result that the fight that left him punch drunk. He took a lot of massive blows he didn't have to, just to prove how "tough" he is. As a matter of fact he didn't even have to slug with Bert like that.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Hit Em' Hard wrote
Because Holyfield was a chump champion who preferred to fight old men instead of the young, fit challenger who would have beat him.
No. This was a fight Evander wanted. There were contractual disputes, that's all.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

That doesn't surprise me, as there's always lawyers, networks, managers and so forth when booking a fight. I guess Holmes and Foreman were eligle for title shots first.

I know Foreman was for a fact, because he was supposed to fight Tyson for the title around this time. Obviously it didn't happen because Tyson was no longer champion, so we got Foreman versus Holyfield instead.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

That doesn't surprise me, as there's always lawyers, networks, managers and so forth when booking a fight. I guess Holmes and Foreman were eligle for title shots first.

I know Foreman was for a fact, because he was supposed to fight Tyson for the title around this time. Obviously it didn't happen because Tyson was no longer champion, so we got Foreman versus Holyfield instead.
Precisely, friend. This was a confusing time because even though we had an undisputed heavyweight champion, all of the different sanctioning bodies had their own number one contenders and other guys they were pushing for a shot at the title.

It is tough to be an undisputed heavyweight champion because if you don't fight the mandatory challengers, you risk getting sued or stripped of one of your belts.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Yeah. I forgot who the guy was, but I remember Foreman was stripped of the WBA title for refusing to defend the crown against their number one contender. I can't remember the guy though.

This is why we need one champion again. Each sanctioning body wants you to fight THEIR guy at a certain time and it's overwhelming. Somebody is almost always guaranteed to be screwed or unhappy. And if the undisputed champion suddenly loses, things get even more complicated.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

redfeng007
Tony Tucker?

One of the fighters whom went a distance with Prime Tyson.

Tony Tucker really fought with Tyson, instead of holding.

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

I also found out recently that Ruddock would have gotten a title shot had he won against Lewis on Halloween in ‘92. Lewis won but didn’t get the title shot against Bowe because of the trash can incident.

Ruddock lost each fight that would have earned him a definite title shot. (The Tyson and Lewis bouts)

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

Will69
I would have loved to see Ruddock go against a prime Bowe.  Two big guys who hit really hard and had great skill.  Would have been good...

Re: Why didn't Holyfield fight Donovan Ruddock?

redfeng007
Interesting question is if Prime Bowe fought Lewis' competition like Frank Bruno, David Tua, Tommy Morrison, Tyson, Ray Mercer, Tony Tucker, Ruddock and Vitali.

Could he do better or worse?

Eddie Futch will be in his corner to expose his opponents' weakness.