Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

Re: Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

Alexander
Left Hook From Hell... wrote
Would "expert" clinchers like Ali, Jack Johnson or Bonecrusher Smith been able to clinch Louis before going down for the count?
Maybe, especially Ali. Each time Ali was hurt he automatically reached out for a clinch. It's like his body went into auto-pilot to clinch when briefly blacks out.

Vitali had a chin of stone, and did the same thing when Lennox blasted him with that uppercut.

Re: Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

Alexander wrote
Left Hook From Hell... wrote
Would "expert" clinchers like Ali, Jack Johnson or Bonecrusher Smith been able to clinch Louis before going down for the count?
Maybe, especially Ali. Each time Ali was hurt he automatically reached out for a clinch. It's like his body went into auto-pilot to clinch when briefly blacks out.

Vitali had a chin of stone, and did the same thing when Lennox blasted him with that uppercut.
I agree. Jack Johnson and Ali clinched the mere section they realized they were in danger.

But I don't count Bonecrusher Smith as an "expert clincher." He clinched all night against Tyson out of fear of getting hit. It was pure survival mode.

Re: Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

Westmoreland
Well, the hardest single punch of Joe's career was the uppercut which drove Uzcudun's teeth through his mouthpiece in flattening him back into retirement. There's a great photo of Joe prying Mauriello off his feet, and airborn with a left hook. Here it is.

Joe didn't have Marciano or Baer type power, but it was more than sufficient for his needs.

Joe easily and quickly took out modern sized heavyweights, whose bulk wasn't artificially inflated with growth enhancing substances, but a natural endowment. His power wasn't size generated, but technique oriented, and therefore more reliably consistent. Like Marciano, he generated it coming up, with but each punch supplemented by the next, for a cumulative effect. Buddy Baer's graphically detailed accounts of what facing Louis was like are readily available on-line. He didn't wind up, so the force behind his blows wasn't expended when his punches made contact. One punch would send his victim into the next one, and if he missed, he could come back with the next one as if he hadn't, for a progressive magnification effect.

Sure, his power certainly equaled that of superheavyweights, but I don't know that superheavyweights are necessarily all the hardest punchers. Shavers was 210 when he dropped Holmes, and he's widely acclaimed as the hardest puncher in history. Does 210 make Earnie a superheavyweight? Louis weighed just over 211 when he sent Mauriello airborn in the final prime performance of his career.

Re: Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

Westmoreland wrote
[...]

You summed that up brilliantly. The guy could really punch and had so much skill, plus a cool head. I really wish we could put him in a more modern setting and see how he’d do.

Re: Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

Will69
The more evidence I see of Joe putting guys to sleep, the more of a believer I am.  It would be great to see Joe against a guy like Povetkin (similar size as Louis, but with the ferocity and power of a Mike Tyson, and possibly similar skill as Tyson as well)

Re: Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

Will69 wrote
The more evidence I see of Joe putting guys to sleep, the more of a believer I am.  It would be great to see Joe against a guy like Povetkin (similar size as Louis, but with the ferocity and power of a Mike Tyson, and possibly similar skill as Tyson as well)
Yeah. I don’t wanna overrate Louis but he routinely beat modern-sized heavyweights. Louis was a dynamite puncher and had perfect timing and accuracy and his hand speed was comparable to a cobra attack. Because of this I think Louis would do well against recent fighters.

But I also have to point out that Abe Simon, Max Baer and Primo Carnera are not half as good as Ken Norton, George Foreman and Lennox Lewis.

Re: Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

Big Red
Will69 wrote
The more evidence I see of Joe putting guys to sleep, the more of a believer I am.  It would be great to see Joe against a guy like Povetkin (similar size as Louis, but with the ferocity and power of a Mike Tyson, and possibly similar skill as Tyson as well)
I'm not a Louis ass-kisser, but I think he'd knock out Povetkin first. They called him the Brown BOMBER for a reason after all.

Re: Why didn't Schmeling clinch Louis?

49-0
Wow!!! I found this in another thread. If you have seen this you’re missing out. Joe could knock out virtually ANYONE with this one punch alone. 😧
123